Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Map not found after Tomtom One update
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Map not found after Tomtom One update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AceCRO
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Map not found after Tomtom One update Reply with quote

Hi

I did one of the regular updates of my Tomtom One using Tomtom Home and this time in addition to usual GPS fix there was a software update available. After the update when I booted it up it came with the error message, "Map not found".

I copied back my backup and updated again but this time de-selected the software update and everything is working fine.

Any ideas what happened and how I can rectify this?

Thanks....
Tom59
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem when I updated my 720. Halfway through the update, I got a message saying "Not enough space, you need to delete 10 Mb"
I got rid of all the voices and other junk, but still did not have enough space to complete my update, so I stopped it. I disconnected the TT and got the message "No maps found", with a grey screen, so I restored my backup to get working again. This happens because TomTom HOME removes your existing map, before replacing it with the new one. I bought myself a 2Gb SD Card and installed the update to that, then removed the original map, which now leaves me loads of space to play with.
I'm not sure, but IIRC the TT One does not accept an SD Card, so my advice would be to get rid of as many files as possible, but make sure that you take a copy of your existing files in Windows Explorer before you do.

Edit to correct big finger spelling mistake!

TT iPhone app
V 1.23 Map: Western and Central Europe 2 GB V 965.7286

TT iOS Go Mobile
V 1.1 Map: Western Europe 965.7248
caravanj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Maps not found Reply with quote

I have the same problem with my 720 unit. I downloaded the new map via TomTom Home and I thought it had installed it but I get a message saying Drive C: full which is b****llocks since there is 1.6 gig free. the grey screen with no maps found. The backup has not cured it. HELP PLEASE. Maybe I should just bin it & go back to Navman!!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the new Western Europe map is 1,63GB in size and if you have the Western And Central Europe version that is 1,94GB in size, so if the only free space you have is 1,6GB then you might be in need of an SD card and do the same as Tom59 mentioned earlier - Mike
caravanj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Map not installed Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. I have a 2gb sd card fitted. I bought the updated map with the quarterly update feature as well. I have taken everything off the TomTom so it has the full available space + the extra 2gb card space. TomTom Home finds all the updates necessary and starts to download them but aborts the install with the message Disk full C:\ which I do not understand.
The download folder on my PC is not even on drive C but on a drive with 140gb free. I didn't realise that the TomTom didn't have a recovery CD. Ooops. I'll always check in future.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the error is drive C related, how much space is available on that hard drive? - I appreciate you say the downloads folder is pointing to a different drive, but we are talking about Home software which could be doing anything! - Mike
caravanj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Map not installing Reply with quote

Drive c has 1.6 gb but I have set the folder preferences in Home to another drive and the maps do appear as downloaded in that drive. I can't find the Disk full Drive C:\ error message on the TomTom site. I have emailed TomTom but I'm off to Plymouth tonight so I was hoping to get it sorted. I'll have to use my Snooper Strabo instead but I'll miss the traffic updates & Bluetooth etc.
Thanks for your continued help.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate you have told Home to use a different drive, but it could be using a temp folder on C: when it extracts the files from the download, if c: cannot accommodate this it would explain the error - try and free up some space on C: then try again - Mike
nox1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject: GPS Reply with quote

I did an update to my 920 last weekend and didn't realize for a couple of days that my speed camera warnings were mostly gone. I'm not a big lead foot, but there are some sneaky cameras in my area (like a speed limit drop in a short tunnel with a camera right where it drops)...and I do count on the warnings. Anyhoo, looking into that is what led me to this site so we'll see where I go from here. Smile
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what the update was of, nox...

If it was of a new map, you may have to copy all the poi files from the old map' folder to the new one (although I though Home managed to do that for you now...)

If it was just new software, you need to set up all the warnings you had again. The menu you need is Change Preferences/Manage POIs, Warn when near POI. You can use the same instructions you probably used when you did it the first time (they are HERE - about half way down.

There used to be a way of copying a file from a backup of the the old installation to the new one, but the file is slightly different with this software release, so it won't work this time.
nox1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, well this is the point where I twirl my blonde hair and bat my baby blues. I don't have an answer for you. Here's what I did...I took my 920 and hooked it up to the computer...it opened "Home" which then proceeded to update to a newer version...then once that was done...told me there was an even newer version and proceeded to update that...then I clicked on the update button and away it went. *snort* All of this was using a low internet connection to boot...so I was a bit crazed by the time I got around to doing the actual update. Prior to this I'd only plugged it in 1X...when I first bought it...oh, about 4 months ago or so....and I changed my splash at some point.

As for the settings, they are still all set and occasionally I will run across a camera that it warns me about but for the most part I'm on my own. I had updated it because I was making a trip from Germany to Belgium. I was in and out of Germany, the Netherlands and Belgium...back and forth for a few days and didn't realize something was off (except the $%$* stutter, but that's another thread) because I was all over the place. It was when I was back in this area, taking my friend home that she said "why isn't your TomTom warning you about those cameras?" I go down her street often and it has always told me the cameras are there. We checked my settings, but they are as they should be. I also updated our 910 the same night, but have had no problems with it *knock on wood*. I don't subscribe to any of the TomTom services, like updated maps, traffic, etc.

I've subscribed to the cameras on this site...but I'm not ready to tackle the "how to install them" part of it, methinks. I just added a few cursors to my 920 (tried the 910, didn't work...another thread also)...and that's everything. I didn't drive much this week, so I forgot all about it but DH and I went out today and he noticed the new and improved stutter voice right away and on the way home realized the camera's weren't whooping. So, after googling away I stumbled onto this site. Smile

Michele

eta: I did not do a backup using Explorer, that's a new one on me. When I first got the 910..ages and ages ago, I did a lot of research and learned a few tricks, but I haven't messed with any of it in about 2 years. This was the first time I'd plugged in the 910 in over a year. Now that my 920 is making me crazy I have to learn new tricks and relearn the old ones....*sigh*
BodgerBaz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to but in here but I don't think the original poster's question has been answered?

He said that he had updated the software and got a "No map found" message. He didn't say that he was updating his map.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: