Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Voice problem after 8.3 on 720
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Voice problem after 8.3 on 720
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 47, 48, 49  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

topgazza wrote:
bullyterrier wrote:
topgazza wrote:
If they work as they come I'd leave them well alone.....

This is the whole point of this thread "they dont work as they come" - they are stuttering, and missing names.
Any Ideas

What I meant was if in response to someone being told by Home that there were later versions of the voices. IF the Loqendo replacement works.....as it comes from Scotch-Whiskey....then leave it alone.

But yes...TTs obviously don't work as they come...or at least once you update the OS and maps. TT have really shot themselves in the foot here......but do they care ?

Next door has a Navman 90i...and has not had anything like the problems.

But those voices were TTS 6.90 hence why the upgrade was offered. If you put TTS7 voices on a x20 HOME will quite politely tell you that they will not work with your current application version!

Quite funny as they seem to work significantly better than the 'recommended' ones.

7 downloads so far of the TTS7 files I uploaded - anyone got any feedback yet as to if they work for them?

Andy
bullyterrier
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 custom points of inerest and the tomtom speed cameras, I still have the problem
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just been for a spin and it is better, but still not 100%. I had bluetooth disabled and no POIs displayed on the map. RDS-TMC was plugged in.

There is still stuttering, but it was significantly less than with TTS6, and it went away after I stopped the speed showing in the status bar.

I will test over the next few days, but it looks like it is wait for another update from TT to fix it.

Andy
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and it looks like it is possibly a memory full/allocation/mem buffer related problem....amongst possibly others of course.

Be more than a bit interesting to see if TomTom are aware of this...at the right level and actually take rapid action...I suspect everyone affected will have to revert back to their previous status until they do.

Is it only x20s affected ?

Nokia Lumia 800 with Nokia Maps, iPhone 4S with Apple Maps (sigh)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ AndyV next time you are out try disconnecting the RDS-TMC and see if that improves it, What I am looking for is a trend from multiple users to try and work out what the device is doing - I know what my 720 is like with RDS coupled and when it is unplugged - Mike
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
@ AndyV next time you are out try disconnecting the RDS-TMC and see if that improves it, What I am looking for is a trend from multiple users to try and work out what the device is doing - I know what my 720 is like with RDS coupled and when it is unplugged - Mike

Will do - I wanted to compare like for like with my experiences of TTS6.

There is an improvement with TTS7 but only did about 30 miles so maybe time will tell.

I'll update you in the week.

Andy
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, I got stuttering with the RDS-TMC connected on Friday, so when I covered part of the same journey yesterday I disconnected the RDS and Kate had no trouble with her words.

I was going to wait until I'd tried both with and without RDS on a longer journey before reporting it here.
Samsung Galaxy S21
carl_the_cobbler
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just been out with two 920s, one with the Loquendo from 8.3, one with the Loquendo supplied on here by AndyVaughan.

Initially there was no issue at all, all the way to our destination, then on the way back the 8.3 version did start to stutter, and did break down once quite badly, all the way through the one supplied by Andy worked really well.

Both units had the same POIs, and the same set up throughout.

One thing I thought quite interesting, sad as I am, there were times when one of the devices would warn at different distances to the other, one warned at 100 yards whilst the other warned at 200 etc.

Didn't happen often, but it did happen, yet another area where the TT makes a decision where a decision should not be its to make.

Cheers

Carl
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you have the RDS-TMC plugged in to either of them?

Andy
carl_the_cobbler
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither, and the one that did work well, did not work correctly yesterday, before I changed the Loquendo to your supplied one.

Cheers

Carl
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

topgazza wrote:
...and it looks like it is possibly a memory full/allocation/mem buffer related problem....amongst possibly others of course.

Be more than a bit interesting to see if TomTom are aware of this...at the right level and actually take rapid action...I suspect everyone affected will have to revert back to their previous status until they do.

Is it only x20s affected ?

If everyone who is affected logs a support call with TT and provides a link to this thread, they may eventually start to take notice.

Andy
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl_the_cobbler wrote:
Neither, and the one that did work well, did not work correctly yesterday, before I changed the Loquendo to your supplied one.

Cheers

Carl

Thanks.

It looks like Mike is angling that the RDS-TMC makes it worse, see what the one with the TTS7 voices and the RDS-TMC is like.

Andy
danart
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys.....When you have the chance to test your gps.....please DONT CHARGE it while you are driving,leave it running on battery....i might be wrong ,but i suspect something here...
bullyterrier
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just got back from a 2 hour trip (1 hour out and 1 hour back) and my 720 never stuttered or missed once (and this was with rds tmc installed). I dont understand it, as yesterday it played up when I just popped up the road for 5 minutes. I haven't installed any new tts files, just left the original files on it and thought I would try.
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No harm in speculating.

Just on that subject are the CPU and internal ram specs different from the x20/x30/x40 ?

I have two oldish smartphones one has a CPU of 196mhz and a ram of 64meg......the other has a CPU of 220mhz and ram of 64meg. The first runs a film that jumps and stutter...the second runs it like a dream. Just wondered if TomTom might have tested the uprades on something like a 940 or even 730.....and thought..."that works.....release it"

Nokia Lumia 800 with Nokia Maps, iPhone 4S with Apple Maps (sigh)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 47, 48, 49  Next
Page 8 of 49

Jump to: