Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Voice problem after 8.3 on 720
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Voice problem after 8.3 on 720
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 47, 48, 49  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see it as piracy or infringement.....TT may see it otherwise but then they would wouldn't they ?...or would they if it fixed a load of issues?

Nokia Lumia 800 with Nokia Maps, iPhone 4S with Apple Maps (sigh)
oolaa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oolaa wrote:
I have been suffering the same slow downs & text to speech distortion reported by others after upgrading my GO 520 to the 8.30 software.

After reporting this to support I got a reply suggesting that my Loquento folder may have become corrupted during the upgrade & to restore to a backup.

To this reply I thought .. yeah right but infact after restoring just the Loquento folder from a backup made before the upgrade all seems well again.

I will have opportunity to further stress test this next week.

Well unfortunately after this post my improvement was short lived & I'm back to stuttering again.

Since then I have tried formatting my TT drive ( I would never recommend this unless you are VERY confident of your backup)

Then I installed a full explorer backup which I took just after purchase ie "Factory" condition. With this version everything was sounding fine, no use but rules out hardware faults.

Next I ran an update using home which of offered me software 7.2 & my 8.15 subscription map. As well as Kate / Simon version 693 voice updates ( these I un-selected for now). Unsurprisingly 7.2 software didn't recognise the 8.15 map.

Next update offered software 8.3 & I'm back to stuttering again.

I am at this moment updating the voices again but I fully expect them to be broken.

For now I think 520 owners will have to make do with recorded voices if they want up to date software & maps.

I am going to report my results to Tom Tom support but based on previous dealings with them I don't expect a relevent answer.
scotch_whisky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scotch_whisky wrote:
scotch_whisky wrote:
DinAlt wrote:
Done a short trial using thg the X30 voices on my 720 and it seems to cure the stuttering - not really had chance to try it properly as I'm working at home today - will give it a proper run on monday.

DinAlt

I think DinAlt is on to something here. I have just replaced the "Loquendo TTS" folder on my 520 with one from a 530.
The free RAM has gone up from 7MB to 19MB. It works perfectly in DEMO mode. Will give it a try this evening and report back.

I have just done a 30 mile drive which included some quite complicated double roundabouts and "Kate" didn't stumble over her words once.

I am therefore almost certain that the version of "Loquendo TTS" included with the 520 8.3 download is to blame.

I got the 530 version of "Loquendo TTS" from a Tomtom 530 belonging to a family member.

I did a 60 mile journey today and again no issues with Kate stuttering over her words.

I am now pretty sure that replacing the "Loquento TTS" folder on the x20 with one from the x30 will cure the problem.
scotch_whisky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several people have asked where they can get a copy of the "Loquendo TTS" folder for the x30 series Tomtoms.

As I believe it is the cure for the stuttering that most people have experienced I have decided to make it available.

I hope the "mods" don't see this as piracy. It's not like I am distributing a map.

Just delete the existing folder and replace with this one.

Link deleted as further tests indicate that the stutter is still there!

Last edited by scotch_whisky on Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
mrfreeze
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:
Google is your friend!

Other less respectable forums may well have links on them to a x30 voice set...........

I would try searching for something along the lines of

730 Loquendo TTS voices tags

and maybe the second link could be helpful

All at your own risk of course.

Andy

Andy, thanks for the suggestion.

I think the one you was refering to is a dead end, its someone like me asking if anyone will post the file and there are no answers yet.

Funnily the next link is to here, which i thought was funny Laughing
Kate v710 UK & ROI v850.2781
mrfreeze
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scotch,

Sorry must have missed your post first time round!

Anyway, downloading as i type. Thanks for the link, we will see how she works with this!

Have a double on me...................errr on second thought have a single......times are hard! Very Happy
Kate v710 UK & ROI v850.2781
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for link Very Happy Very Happy tried it out on a route that failed badly this afternoon and it worked flawlessly in demo mode, am going on a 200 mile round trip for work tomorrow will report back how it went

Oh and i would never say delete BACK IT FIRST and delete from tomtom in case you have to go back to it
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy-c1 wrote:
Oh and i would never say delete BACK IT FIRST and delete from tomtom in case you have to go back to it

Very sound advice when playing around like this, but please do let us know what your thoughts are running this combination - Mike
DinAlt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

had mine on a 3 hour loop of a demo today and it worked perfectly the whole time - even had it runnign a demo in france to see what it would be like - hmm interesting is the only word

DinAlt
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not use demo mode to check out how the device is performing, this mode was created to show off the device in the shop - it won't load up the device to the same extent as driving in real world situations with Traffic information and IQ Routes working hard - it could lead you to think the device is working fine only to be let down with a bang on the Monday morning commute - Mike
scotch_whisky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEMO always works perfectly. It's very different when you use it for real!

Yes - I should have said back everything up first but I guess most people here know that. I wouldn't use Tomtom's so-called backup either. It is much safer to create a folder on the desktop (or elsewhere) and dump everything in the internal memory into it. Do the same for the plug in memory if you use one.
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Scotch -Whisky...its not piracy...you're not "distributing" the software or maps. Only people who already have the software/file will be able to use it to repair their own faulty file. Even Microsoft don't mind people using others individual OS files in isolation and they are really paranoid....I know...my son works for them.

Saved me asking on the "other " board although I have asked if anyone there is having the same problem. They seem to be our European cousins mainly....

If this works....I will be able to get my 720 after all.....

Nokia Lumia 800 with Nokia Maps, iPhone 4S with Apple Maps (sigh)
DinAlt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually demo mode doesn't work perfectly with the X20 voices - run it for more than 5 min in an urban area (ie one with complicated or multiple road names and it soon breaks down - in fact mine system shows the problem in less than 2 minutes - when running the demo i also make sure it's running the mp3 player / doing as much in the background as posible.
The main difference I've noticed with X30 voices is that it seems to free up 3 or 4 meg of free RAM which may just be enough to partially cure the problem.
in terms of real world tests did a short run (only about an hour long on Friday which worked well and doing a slightly longer run today (an hour each way) so will update agin. Tomorrow is the real test as it's back to work.

DinAlt
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can everyone who is messing around with the voice problem please check their POI settings, go the Change Preferences/ Show POI on Map and see what is selected - the 8,3 update seems to be enabling all custom POI files, this will cause problems for those with lots of custom POI on their device.
There is no problem having the POI files on the device, they don't need to be enabled to be useful, and if you didn't have them enabled prior to 8,3 you might be surprised to see they are all switched on - this affects both available memory and processor power - Mike
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scotch_whisky wrote:
Several people have asked where they can get a copy of the "Loquendo TTS" folder for the x30 series Tomtoms.

As I believe it is the cure for the stuttering that most people have experienced I have decided to make it available.

I hope the "mods" don't see this as piracy. It's not like I am distributing a map.

Just delete the existing folder and replace with this one.

http://rapidshare.com/files/164149146/LoquendoTTS.zip.html

Just downloaded these and they appear to be TTS6.9 voices as Home offers me the upgrade to 6.93 for Kate and 6.91 for Simon - if you check what is installed on the device they are both listed as 6.90?

Other voice sets I have seen off of x30s have slightly different files in them with references to TTS7?

Andy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 47, 48, 49  Next
Page 6 of 49

Jump to: