Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ATTENTION! 9,500 mobiles sites now ready for download!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ATTENTION! 9,500 mobiles sites now ready for download!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: ATTENTION! 9,500 mobiles sites now ready for download! Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comRecently we seem to have had a lot of people saying we should not 'purge' the mobile speed camera site data. Please use the link below for a rough projection of just how many mobile sites would be in the database if we do not continue to purge this data. Nearly 9,000 in 12 months time and about 9,500 by March 2010.

Note that the projection is literally a straight line and does not account for the fact that more members over time will mean an increase in the number of submissions so the 'real' number would probably be far far higher. Perhaps 11,000 within 12 months.

Bearing in mind there are currently about 5,000 static / fixed cameras in the database - do you really want this many out of date Mobile sites?

Click here for the graph.

MaFt
karlak
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: ATTENTION! 9,500 mobiles sites now ready for download! Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
Bearing in mind there are currently about 5,000 static / fixed cameras in the database - do you really want this many out of date Mobile sites?

Click here for the graph.

Errrr, No - you guys have got it just right as it is Smile
Snudge
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: ATTENTION! 9,500 mobiles sites now ready for download! Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
- do you really want this many out of date Mobile sites?
MaFt

Agree with karl - definitely not. The roads will eventually be saturated with mobile sites so that if we believe them all to be possibly active we will have to keep to the speed limits all the time because there isn't a 'clear' stretch.
.......absolutely ridiculous state to get into!
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also agree. The mobiles which have been purged seem spot on local to me so I expect that they are reasonable in other parts of the country.

If anyones favorite mobile location gets purged they can resubmit it when they next see it in use and it gets added back to the database.

The current purging rules seem to be producing sensible results.
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of me says that I want to know where every possible mobile site is.
Part of me says that I don't want to be warned every few hundred yards about a possible / redundant mobile site.

With the option to display or not display the pMobiles, coupled with the 'Seen again' mobiles and the fact that the database is now updated weekly, I think the coverage is about as good as it could be (without daily / hourly updates - sorry MaFt Twisted Evil ).

I suppose that someone will prove me wrong by saying they got a ticket at a mobile site that was removed last week, and reported as seen again yesterday before the next release.

I guess staying close enough to the limit is the only sure way to avoid any penalty.
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally speaking, I don't want to be warned of sites where cameras are unlikely to be located. I don't use pmobiles, and I am in favour of pruning the database where necessary.

However, with all the current discussion, is it worth adopting a compromise position? How about deleting mobile sites after 12 months since the last positive sighting, rather than 6 months as present?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is already 12mths for Mobiles in the live database, 6 mths for those in the pMobiles database.
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
It is already 12mths for Mobiles in the live database, 6 mths for those in the pMobiles database.

Was gonna say something else till I read your post and to me there is nothing wrong with the settings at they are ,even 12 months is a bit long Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: