Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Open letter to TomTom about address lookup (Navigator 3 GB)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Open letter to TomTom about address lookup (Navigator 3 GB)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably because you have the wrong timezone selected in your profile.
BizBo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8O oh what a nugget!

ok back on topic!! Sorry All
Mark R Penn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've had enoiugh, especially as Traffic (the only reason I upgraded anyway) is proving to be unstable, slow and inacurate. I've just posted this to TomTom - lets see what they say:

Quote:
Please let me know by return how I go about obtaining a refund of the upgrade fee, and re-activating my copy of TTN2. I can't go on any longer using an inferior navigation product - it simply is not fit for purpose.

I also want a guarantee that I will be able to re-upgrade from TTN2 to TTN3 when you have it fit for purpose, if I choose to. I see no reason at all why you should hold onto my money to finance what is no better than a beta product.

Regards,

Mark
garygfx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: ukpostcode - quick address lookup for TT Reply with quote

I downloaded a free tool called ukpostcode (I think someone else on these forums mentioned it) and I'm really happy that I can now quickly find any location using full postcodes.

The program loads in 1 second and gives you a choice of getting TT to plot a route to the postcode or just showing it on the TT map. I'm not so angry with TT now that I have this little tool.

A word about TeleAtlas - the company TT use to supply POIs/maps. Both of my local petrol stations are incorrectly located. TT takes me on a 12 mile journey and leaves me on an empty motorway slip road for what should be a 2 mile journey. (It actually directs me down the A1 and then back up it again!!!). And the trip to the other petrol station takes me to a dead-end residential road. I contacted TT and they asked me to supply them with the correct data which they will pass on to TeleAtlas. I now use POIhandler.com for petrol station POIs.
Mark R Penn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually UKPostcodes is what does make TTN3 useable, but I don't think they should be allowed to get away with this issue because a third party happens to be better at their job than they are!

Re an integrated feel, I understand what you mean David, but all they'd have to do is offer two search paths (i.e. one extra "Navigate to" button), one being "address", the other "Postcode". The second could work very much like UKPostcodes does.

In fact the obvious answer is to pay the auther of UKPostcodes a decent fee, and incorporate it into TTN3. I recon that would still be cheaper for them than paying their own developers to mess it up again.

Mark
vxer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:08 pm    Post subject: Yet another lemon!!!! Reply with quote

Today I went to Worthing Road Horsham. Stupidly I didn't check the post code of the road. After overshooting the Horsham turn on the A23 and TTN reading 16 miles to go I realised that I probably had the wrong destination (I'm quick like that!).
Anyway, there WAS no Worthing road in the database so I used the postcode and got there without too much trouble. What did I find when I arrived - yes you've guessed it - Worthing Road Horsham was very clear on the map!!!!! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaarghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! So far for me:

Denham (Mddx) is now in Suffolk!
Aylesbury doesn't exist
And now there is no Worthing Road in Horsham.

Did Teleatlas think they were winding up Tom Tom.(assuming this is a Teleatlas problem - which incindentally does not let TT off the hook!) "I know - let's take the good map data that's been OK for years and scramble it to p**s people off.................."

I too shall apply for a refund! Aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrghhhhhh.
tom9851
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, if you want to revert back to TTN2 you don't need to worry about re-activating it. I came to the personal conclusion that TTN3 was crap very early on and decided that TTN2 was (for me) a better option, at least until the known TTN3 problems are rectified (or not as the case may be!). I just deleted all TTN3 from my Ipaq, formatted my SD card and reloaded TTN2. When it came to the question right at the end of the loading process - "do you want to go online and register" (or words to that effect) I just click the "X" and bingo. I have since also reloaded TTN3 - to indulge in a few days of in-depth road-testing (found more problems), again didn't have to re-activate it. Have since gone back to TTN2 after reaching the conclusion that I DID make the right decision to ditch TTN3 in the first place! Again I re-installed TTN2 without activation and it works fine.

Tom

IPAQ2210/ROM-1.10/LEXAR 32X 256MB SD/Kingston ElitePro 1GB CF
TTN3-V3.03/Wired GPS-V3.03/Globalsat BT-338
Wilko
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrong town location problem too, Flixton & Carrington (in Manchester) were down in Suffolk according to TT2, now according to TT3, its part of Midlothian in Scotland 8O !
garygfx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another lemon!!!! Reply with quote

vxer wrote:
Did Teleatlas think they were winding up Tom Tom.(assuming this is a Teleatlas problem - which incindentally does not let TT off the hook!) "I know - let's take the good map data that's been OK for years and scramble it to p**s people off.................."

I have no idea what TT2 maps are like but there are some very bad things in TT3. The 10 year old block of flats in Harrow where I used to live is a maze of several unnamed roads according to TT3. Where the heck did these roads come from? They don't exist!

Incidently, TT3 crashes my iPAQ when computing a route about 1 in 8 times. Tech support told me to uncheck "show POIs" to fix the problem. Okay, it no longer crashes but I want my POIs back! This sucks. :x
Darth_Vader
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi garygfx,

the error handling in TTNx is very user friendly. Whenever it meets a problem it uncerimoniously hangs the system 8O and a reset is required to get up and running.

I have found in the past that a corrupt POI ov2 file would cause TTN to hang. It might therefore be worth trying to bring up one set of POIs at a time so that this possibility can be checked.

BTW TTN2 maps are also rubbish but compared to TTN3 its a case of better-the-devil-you-know...............

Cheers,

DV
Redwatch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject: slow Reply with quote

Hi, David W,

I have sent a copy of your letter to TomTom. It covers some of my problems. I went to Banham in Norfolk on Sunday using the TTN3. It said it would take 1hr 01mins to get their, it end up taking me 2hrs 30mins. First it sent me along the A12, at the slip road on to the A12 which leads to the A143 it locked up. This happens every time even when just go to Gorleston-on-sea. After correcting this problem, we set of again. It was slow in telling me about round abouts. About 5 miles outside of Diss it went mad again and got me lost I think I have never been that lost before. Turned the iPAQ of and head for the biggest town. I am just fed up of the thing.

Thanks very much for the letter its better than any thing I could do Thumbs Up .
BoPeep
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: New Response from TomTom Reply with quote

People,

Here's TomTom's latest response to David W's letter that I sent them sometime ago...

Quote:
Dear mister Wood,

Your complaint is taken very serious indeed but the outcome of the investigations and improvements the

development team will make have to be waited for.

We can asure you that we are looking into the matter.

We hope to have answered your question to your satisfaction.
With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team

Bo Peep.
Redwatch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, This is the reply I received yesterday form TomTom on my post of David’s letter. Thanks again David for the letter. Thumbs Up
Quote:
Thank you for your feedback regarding problems finding addresses/Post codes in Tomtom Navigator 3 UK
Our software development team are currently investigating it.
We hope to have a solution within the next couple of weeks.
As a workaround try searching with the County name or postcode and then the street name.

In the meantime we would like to thank you for your patience and understanding

With best regards,
Sad
tom9851
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"We hope to have a solution within the next couple of weeks"

That's the most positive response received so far - nice one Thumbs Up

IPAQ2210/ROM-1.10/LEXAR 32X 256MB SD/Kingston ElitePro 1GB CF
TTN3-V3.03/Wired GPS-V3.03/Globalsat BT-338
BoPeep
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my latest reply from TomTom dated Friday 11th June, 2004, 11:06:

Quote:
Dear Ms *******,

We have received this letter from several users of that forum and the address lookup has been fixed in version 3.03 which will be available soon.
With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team

Bo Peep.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 6 of 12

Jump to: