Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Audiobooks, TT920 and a Mac
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Audiobooks, TT920 and a Mac
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
speedbird1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Audiobooks, TT920 and a Mac Reply with quote

I think the title gives a clue as to what is not happenning. I download from Audible and they install correctly without any interference to my Mac. They are in .aa format, which the 920 plays. They play ok on the Mac.
If i drag them to the 920 audiobook folder (on the internal memory) it say "not enough room" if i put them on the SD card they just dont play.
There seems no way to "authorise" these files as i had to when first getting them on my Mac, so that is another issue.
Any help please or at least ideas?
Thanks
Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never used Audiobooks but if you copy them to an SD card are you replicating the folder hierarchy as found on the internal memory on the card?

i.e. is their an audiobooks folder on the memory card? If not, create one then copy your book into that folder and retry?
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I 'authorised' my TomTom 520 for Audible contant by installing the Audible Download Manager on my Windows XP laptop. I think there is a version that can be used with a Mac, but I'm not sure.

It allows me to copy the audiobooks to either the internal memory or the SD card of the 520 across the USB cable. I don't need to copy to the SD Card in a reader/writer.

However I have just looked at This which says that Mac users who have iTunes don't need any additional software, whereas, the Audible Download Manager allows you to chose which device you want to Authorise.

Hope this helps
ianccoleman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem with a GO730. It is necessary to authorise the TomTom device before it will recognise Audible files. I rang Audible UK and they advised that there is no Apple version of Audible Manager and therefore it is not possible to do this on a Mac. I thought that I would be able to achieve it using Parallels but ran into problems and ended up using a friends PC.

Once I had authorised the 730 and created an audiobooks folder on the SD card, the audible files were recognised without a problem.

Ian
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richard345 wrote:
However I have just looked at This which says that Mac users who have iTunes don't need any additional software, whereas, the Audible Download Manager allows you to chose which device you want to Authorise.

Hmm that looks like it'd be a solution only for iTunes and iPods.

So it seems that the problem is two pronged. You do need the audiobooks folder on any memory card you use AND you need to authorise the content via a PC first. Very annoying particularly as HOME for Mac has an Audiobooks section, not much use if there is no method to authorise the content!
speedbird1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for all that.

What i have done now to a very succesfull end was to authorise the Tomtom (it is NOT the files but the appliance used to read the files that gets authorised) on my old XP machine.

I then created a folder on TT SD Card called audiobooks dragged from iTunes and dropped in there....works now without issue.

There is a very small authorising file in the folder called audiobooks on the internal memory and it is this that make the whole thing work.

I guess that TT are of the opinion that if you have a Mac you will automaticaly have an iPod (which I don't).

As a side note you are limited to maybe 3 authorisations eg iPlayer, Tomtom, and Win XP. If you want subsequently to use another player eg Creative Zen (like me) then i will have to De-authorize one of theother 3 to allow this.

All is now fine, I hope this helps others a bit anyway.

Thanks
newtosatnav
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit of "thinking outside the box"

try using Tunebite to convert them to mp3 and then just put them in the mp3 folder.
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newtosatnav wrote:

try using Tunebite to convert them to mp3.

Does Tunebite convert DRM protected media files? That's the reason you have to 'authorise' a device to use Audible files.
newtosatnav
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's quite happy with any DRM that I have thrown at it but I have never tried .aa files.

Maybe worth downloading a trial to see if it works ?
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newtosatnav wrote:
It's quite happy with any DRM that I have thrown at it but I have never tried .aa files.

Maybe worth downloading a trial to see if it works ?

No, I think I'll give it a miss, as I'm an XP user, with a pc, TomTom 520 & a Nokia N82 all successfully 'activated' as Audible devices. I don't need anything else.

It may be worth a Mac user trying it out?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

newtosatnav wrote:
A bit of "thinking outside the box"

try using Tunebite to convert them to mp3 and then just put them in the mp3 folder.

I think one big problem with this is that with audiobooks in .aa format the TomTom will remember the place you last stopped playback.
With an .mp3 it doesn't (and there's no fast-forward/rewind ability on the jukebox player!).
speedbird1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P you are indeed right. I have just put it to the test and Tomtom does remember where you left off from the last time you read that book.
You are able to switch between books without loosing your position. I am now very impressed.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
.......and there's no fast-forward/rewind ability on the jukebox player!.
Yes there is, try pressing and holding the next track or previous track button and the device will fast forward/ rewind at quite a speed - Mike
Rick-uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Yes there is, try pressing and holding the next track or previous track button and the device will fast forward/ rewind at quite a speed - Mike

but there is no time display so you can easily locate where you left off.

And why can't you drag the progress slider to make it even easier to locate your position. I know the TT's primary function is not as a media device but it would have been handy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never claimed it was much use though did I Wink

To be honest I have used the aa format Audio books on my unit and never found them much use other than when in a hotel, trying to concentrate on a book and driving is not a good idea IMHO. In the end I took them off the device as I found after 2 hours of driving I had lost the plot of the book due to spending my time concentrating on the road - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: