Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How useful is Mapshare anyway?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How useful is Mapshare anyway?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gmonkey
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaTe wrote:
JaTe wrote:

Firstly why is it quoting 20 weeks on a map only 4 weeks beyond release date and secondly, have all 130,497 corrections really been verified - I am very doubtful and therefore like DennisN, do not on principle download corrections.

It's a week to the day since my last post on this subject and with MapShare set at "Strict" for corrections verified by TT only, my counter is now saying 145,606 corrections available, an increase of 15,109. That is too many verified corrections to have been done in just 5 working days to my mind. Therefore nothing has changed to convince me that I am missing out by not downloading these corrections.

Well, 15,109 total corrections in a week isn't that crazy. It's not hard to believe people around the world have made 15,000 corrections in the last week, including ones that have already been submitted that raise the verification level of large-scale corrections. Remember, TomTom isn't hand-verifying every single correction - just the ones that have been elevated by a number of TomTom users all submitting the same correction. It's a good system if you ask me - correct the most pressing issues first.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmonkey wrote:
Remember, TomTom isn't hand-verifying every single correction - just the ones that have been elevated by a number of TomTom users all submitting the same correction. It's a good system if you ask me - correct the most pressing issues first.
How many would you say is "a number of TomTom users"? Obviously you mean at least three, but when does the number reach the crossing point?

For example, out of hundreds of users who spot one single error, how many would actually report it in Mapshare? May I offer an out of the blue guess of 10%?

Somebody at TomTom should be calculating this sort of thing, so if they get 10 reports of the same error, they should extrapolate that up to the 100 breakpoint for verification action. Agree?

Now, over the last 12 months, I've owned 9 different TT GOs - 7 GO720s, a GO920 and a GO730. With every single one of them (under a different account name, therefore as 9 different TomTom users) I have corrected the roundabout which doesn't exist. In 1975 when I was in the highways department for that area, there was no roundabout at Latitude: 51.45226 Longitude: -2.41844. There never was one since 1975, there isn't one there now. I personally know that there have been 9 reports to TomTom that no roundabout exists and my reports included the information that there never has been one on this fairly decent road. A few miles further west I have also multi-reported that a major section of that same road has been (some long time ago) changed to one-way only. So a single road has a couple of multi-reports to hand verify in one trip. If/when I get my x40, it'll be one of the first things I look at to see if it's been dealt with.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
If/when I get my x40, it'll be one of the first things I look at to see if it's been dealt with.

After your experiences Sad I guess that we can guess what would be your best guess on whether they are done or not Question
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
For example, out of hundreds of users who spot one single error, how many would actually report it in Mapshare? May I offer an out of the blue guess of 10%?

Once the error has been reported to tomtom and sent back to users who accept "reported by some" corrections, these users will not know about the error and will not report it.

A smaller number of users with higher security settings will still see the error and report it but once tomtoms threshold for "reported by many" is reached then more users will download the correction and not see the error.

On that basis I would sugest that your guess of 10% of hundreds of users may be high.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcaouolte wrote:
On that basis I would sugest that your guess of 10% of hundreds of users may be high.
Either you were in front of me in the brains queue, or (just as likely - take your pick) mine are wearing out faster than yours. It never crossed my mind (my excuse is that I never ever download corrections), but how right you are.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine has not yet had as long to wear out as yours Very Happy
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Accuracy is suspect - witness the wrong directions or whatever at M40 junction 15.

This problem seems to have been cured with the new v815 maps.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a matter of interest, the new 740 corrections offers more facilities. There's a route in Kendal that the TomTom would suggest which involved going round a loop that then ends up with you being told to make an illegal turn. If you followed the satnav, but keep legal so ignore that turn, you'll loop forever. On my 910, I'd reported this in text. In the 740, I am able to "block" the turn individually, so now you get to go the correct route.

Me, I'd like it to be a bit more "social networking" based where you can see that there is a correction, and if it is wrong you can mark it as wrong. That would reduce the trust of that user and perhaps get all their corrections removed if there were a few wrong. But if something was marked correct later, then trust would rise.

But I certainly think that the data should improve the map - things like changed one-way flows which were there for two years before the map itself changed are worth having.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: