Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin 710T POIs can you help
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin 710T POIs can you help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SatNav
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Garmin 710T POIs can you help Reply with quote

Hi,
I've just purchased a Garmin Nuvi 710T sat nav & have been trying to download POIs to it from Pocket World with no joy. I have also read some of the comments in this Forum and am now a bit worried about trying it.
I have bought a 2GB SD card & can only download things to it from my Garmin as I dont have a card reader on my computer. I have downloaded the POI & Webupdater from Garmin site . I put them into a folder in My Documents. I went to the Pocket World site & clicked on Other (CSV) & put ticks next to POIs I wanted & downloaded the zip file to the Garmin My Documents folder I created. When I try to drag the POIs into the POI Icon, I get a message saying: POI Loader: To run POI loader from the command-line, use the following Syntax: Poiloader/Usbunitld (UNITID) or Poiloader/Silent. (I haven't a clue what this means even though I've taken 3 blood pressure tablets) Is there a simple way of downloading and putting the POIS onto my SD Card then using them in my Garmin??? If you are kind enough to reply, could you speak in terms you would use for a 6 yr old as I am 57yr old and soon get lost in Computer terms.
Many thanks,
Satnav
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When I try to drag the POIs into the POI Icon

Up to this point you have everything right. At this point i don't get what you are trying to do.

After you downloaded POILoader did you double click the file and install the program?

Also did you unzip the files into My Documents? I would make a seperate folder called POIs and keep just the (unzipped) POIs in there.

Once the program is installed plug in the Nuvi, run POILoader by clicking on it's icon and follow the step by step instructions on screen. It'll ask you where your POIs are so you need to browse to the folder you have unzipped the POIs files to. The process is quite straight forward. just read each screen carefully.

Any problems let us know...
SatNav
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul,
Thanks for your reply,
I made a folder called POIs in "My Documents" and unzipped my POIs to that, I double clicked on POILoader and it said found "Removeable O" I presume this is my 2GB SD card. I then directed it to "My Documents POIs folder" and clicked on download. After a few seconds it said Congrat's, you have sucsessfully downloaded 9,800 POIs to Removeable O. I also checked in "My Computer" under O drive and it showed POIs there. When I started my Garmin it asked if I wanted to put them on my garmin or keep on the SD card, I opted for the SD card as I read in Forums on your site that anything over 250 POIs freez the Garmins.
When I turn on my Garmin and POIs, they look no different than the one's shipped with my Garmin. ie, there is a Police station 1/2 a mile away from my home but it shows the nearest as 8 miles away in a small town etc
Should I have deleted the old one's first, hope you can follow this
Regards
Dave.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The custom POIs will appear under Where To?, Extras, Custom POIs. They don't mix with the built in POIs.

Quote:
I also checked in "My Computer" under O drive and it showed POIs there.

What did you see exactly? Should have been a folder called Garmin/POI with a file called POI.GPI in it...
SatNav
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul,
Just switched on and read your reply, I looked where you said and HEY PRESTO, the little blighters were there all the time, they were sat laughing at me.
Fantastic, MANY THANKS for all your kind help (& thanks from my wife, who has had to put up with my ravings for the last 4 days :sad: )

When I download the speed cameras in a few days time from Pocket World, do I do the same thing as this time and download them to the SD card or straight to the Sat Nav and do I put them in the POIs folder or from the Webloader??? and do I have to Delete the old one's?
once again, THANK YOU!!!
Off to take a Tablet
Kind regards
Dave.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem.

With the Speed Camera put them in the same folder on your PC as your POIs and upload them all together. POILoader deletes all the old Custom POIs from the Nuvi before uploading the new ones so you must keep uploading all your POIs (including the Speed Cameras) each time you download new POIs or Speed Cameras.

Personally i load them to the unit memory as there is plenty of room but it's up to you really.

One thing to note. When you load the Speed Cameras make sure the box shown below is set to MPH and not KPH.

SatNav
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks, Have a good night
regards
Dave
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THank you.

Oh and to go back a bit

Quote:
I opted for the SD card as I read in Forums on your site that anything over 250 POIs freez the Garmins

It's over 256 categories where a category is something like "BP Petrol Stations", "Supermarkets" or "McDonalds". However on the 760T it'll handle more than 256 categories but any categories after the 256th will not show an icon.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: