Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - MapShare - Speed Limits
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

MapShare - Speed Limits

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: MapShare - Speed Limits Reply with quote

Has anyone tried correcting a speed limit via Mapshare recently? I noticed a couple of short sections of road today which needed altering, so I tried to have a go. It seems that the system now assumes you want to set the speed limit for the whole road, and if not, you have to deselect all the stretches that you don't want to change.

Good idea?

Not if the stretch of road is part of the A1 just outside Newcastle. TomTom assumes you want to set the whole road between Gateshead and Edinburgh to the same speed limit! If not, you have to deselect all those stretches of road that don't apply! Similarly for Stratford Road in Solihull - TomTom imagines that you want to create a new limit for the whole road between Birmingham and the M40.

Absolutely crazy!
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fully agree that the implementation of the speed limit change in MapShare is poor. The problem you're describing is well known. I participated in a user survey earlier this week, focusing mostly on MapShare, where I pointed out this weakness of the feature.
Regards, Ulf
runarg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree! But at least there is a way to make it a little bit easier. The key is to first select a SHORT road close to the one you want to change. I have made a flash video that demonstrates it. You can check it here:

http://runarweb.com/TT_demo/endre_fartsgrense.htm

It is in Norwegian, but maybe you will see how I do it?
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes this workaround is useful in cases where you want to change the speed of a relative short strech of the motorway, but not as useful in cases with longer stretches.
mikero
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The speed limit on a small section of the A595 at Bigrigg, Cumbria recently changed fro 60 mph to 40 mph. Using Mapshare, I attempted to alter the limit on my device. This resulted in a section of several miles showing a limit of 39 mph! I have now changed it back to 60.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikero wrote:
The speed limit on a small section of the A595 at Bigrigg, Cumbria recently changed fro 60 mph to 40 mph. Using Mapshare, I attempted to alter the limit on my device. This resulted in a section of several miles showing a limit of 39 mph! I have now changed it back to 60.

How come these sat nav software designers appear to have such problems converting between metric and imperial. They claim all sorts of accuracies with regard to speed and position of their systems but seem totally incapable of performing a simple mathematical computation converting 40MPH to whatever units they use then back again. Come on TomTom and others, buck up, to get it right, rocket science it aint, although the basic operation of the GPS system is.
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all - I've managed make one of the corrections now. Just got to go back to Newcastle next week and remember exactly where the other one was!
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
How come these sat nav software designers appear to have such problems converting between metric and imperial. They claim all sorts of accuracies with regard to speed and position of their systems but seem totally incapable of performing a simple mathematical computation converting 40MPH to whatever units they use then back again. Come on TomTom and others, buck up, to get it right, rocket science it aint, although the basic operation of the GPS system is.

Because the idiot doing the coding is using an INT function instead of RND function for the speed value.......
1952kev
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a small section of the A52 near Grantham that is set incorrectly but I don't seem to have the option to change speed limits in the menu on my One V1.

App 7.162
Map UK+RI v 710.1571
Home 2.4
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 710 doesn't seem to have the facility to change speed limits in its mapshare functions. Does this only relate to Navcore 8 devices ? Am I the poor Tom Tom family relation again ?

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct. When Mapshare was first implemented, you could only REPORT speed limit changes, not actually implement them.
Improvements to MapShare that came with Navcore 8 and maps included the ability to actually correct the speed limit for sections of road.

Not so much the poor relation.... as TomTom didn't deliberately stop you having it when your machine was released, it just hadn't been invented.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus which, I think many of us would prefer you not to have 39mph on your wheels' device for a 40mph road. Twisted Evil

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But 1mph difference is better than 30mph difference when they've got the speed limit so vastly wrong!
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no substitute for using your eyes I suppose. After all, before Navcore 7, we didn't have speed limits shown at all... Confused

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: