Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Liz has moved!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Liz has moved!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom59
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Liz has moved! Reply with quote

Don't know if PGPSW are aware, but TomTom are giving away the Liz camera voices via home.
I cannot go through all the hassle to try to put a screenshot on here, but if you connect to HOME / Add Maps, Traffic, Voices / Sounds / Add Sounds / Warning Sounds / Page 5 you can see / hear for yourself.

TT iPhone app
V 1.23 Map: Western and Central Europe 2 GB V 965.7286

TT iOS Go Mobile
V 1.1 Map: Western Europe 965.7248
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up Tom, on my system it was found on page 19 so it looks like Home offers different voice files depending upon the device connected!
If nothing else it should be rated as 5 stars, there is an option to report it as "Copyright infrigement" but they should really know better - Mike
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't find Liz, but I did find Vicki. Under English, Vicki(GB).

There is also being looked at by a TomTom Moderator who, apparently, will make a decision within 2 days. Shocked

@ Mike. It depends on the settings at the top of the Page for the number of pages.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys. This was an issue all the community website admins hammered home to TT at our last meet a few weeks back.

TT Home is being used as a conduit for the widespread sharing of Copyright content and needless to say we're less than happy about it!

If anyone spots anything they suspect came from here then please let me know and I'll report it, shutting the door after the horse has bolted but we hope to have a change in the system soon that will put a stop to this.

TomTom have behaved very badly in this regard, they saw no issue in providing a service that freely permitted users to upload copyright files. Not only is such behaviour deplorable, I'm pretty sure for a public company such as they its verging on criminal. They have a responsibility to ensure the legitimacy of any data they host, to date they have not bothered to check.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

TT Home is being used as a conduit for the widespread sharing of Copyright content and needless to say we're less than happy about it!

This is disgraceful. There are plenty of precedents e.g. with YouTube for a host taking down copyright material as soon as it is reported.

If TT are happy to permit this they can hardly complain at W@rez copies of their own software.

Sal
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well quite. Our only course of action at the moment is to report each breach and wait 2 days for the file to be taken down.

We can still ID the source for speedcams but for other work such as Icons and POIs it's an impossible task. I spent 3 hrs wading through 75 pages of custom icons and POIs last night and found more than twenty cursors which I personally created.

The unbelievable aspect is that TomTom don't recognise they have a responsibility to ensure the data they are offering is legitimate! They don't check who uploads, maintain no records of the submitter etc, I was dumbstruck to hear that from a public company!

Matters have no come to a head, there are 10 community websites, all large players in their individual countries and all suffering to a degree from this problem so TomTom have been issued an ultimatum, act or we will boycott news and review of their products and we will all do our damnedest to make sure everyone knows that TomTom are happy to allow pirate data to be uploaded to them and shared between their customers. Given their current share price that may just make them sit up and listen!
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Especially as we go to great lengths on this forum to stop and dissuade people from discussing illegal activities regarding any sat nav company, not just tomtom. Shame on them!

iPhone 12
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

falkirk81 wrote:
Especially as we go to great lengths on this forum to stop and dissuade people from discussing illegal activities regarding any sat nav company, not just tomtom. Shame on them!

Perhaps we should allow such talk, but just about TT (I jest, of course Shocked )
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one question - If it were TomTom's material appearing elsewhere - how would they react?
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Can I just check on the "legality" of something.

I've just upgraded to a 730, and plan to sell my One. This has the UK and Eur cameras on it, and the .ogg files for the sound.

Is it acceptable to sell the One with these files operational, and if so, is it permissible to advertise it as containing them? Obviously, if the buyer wants any future updates, they'll have to subscribe.

Tom
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, i would delete the camera database. If the new buyer decides to put the camera database on the internet to share, it is your subscription that will be forfeited!

EDIT - that is assuming you meant the PGPSW database and not the Tomtom database!

iPhone 12
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you not want to factory reset?

For your own protection, remove all personal traces on any form of digital storage.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomDavison wrote:
Hi,

Can I just check on the "legality" of something.

I've just upgraded to a 730, and plan to sell my One. This has the UK and Eur cameras on it, and the .ogg files for the sound.

Is it acceptable to sell the One with these files operational, and if so, is it permissible to advertise it as containing them? Obviously, if the buyer wants any future updates, they'll have to subscribe.

Tom

It's oft asked and whilst we can see the benefits you need to be aware that you will still be held to account for the data if it is subsequently abused. If it turns up on a file share it's your ID that we will have? Your call at the end of the day!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mullet wrote:
Why would you not want to factory reset?

That would be my advice.
Quote:
For your own protection, remove all personal traces on any form of digital storage.

You need to be aware that a factory reset does not delete files such as POIs, cursors, ogg files etc.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: