Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database - Weekly Updates
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database - Weekly Updates
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid I have reservations.

It's just I feel that the quality, reliability & integrity may drop, due to the increased workload & with it the increased chance of duplication & errors creeping in.

If there's going to be an increase in the number of updates, then I'd prefer it to be fortnightly..

Please don't get me wrong, I'm highly appreciative of the database, it's just I don't want to see quantity prevail over the all important QUALITY!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just no pleasing some people! We already had bi-weekly updates or thereabouts anyway!

Now instead of processing two weeks worth of submissions for each bi-weekly update we process 7 days worth and release. This won't affect quality, every entry is still verified and if it is not ready to go into the public release it won't simple as that!

We looked at the processes and discussed if we could offer weekly and the consensus was we could. It makes little sense to hold verified data on new cameras and not release it if we can. And so we are.

Let me say once again, QUALITY is our overriding aim here. We're better than the others, we know it and you know it. There are a few million unfortunates who have yet to discover us but regardless we have no intention of dropping our standards!

What we need now is some evangelists to spread the word!
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got me wrong there Darren I'm am very pleased!

It's just I've seen things on other sites get "Improved" before & then fail abysmally, It's just I don't want you guys behind the scenes to "bite off more than you can chew" & inadvertently start making mistakes and spoil your excellent reputation.

If you want me & others to spread the word how about designing a "Flyer" either in A4 or A5 size that we can print off at home! Very Happy
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wazza_G wrote:

If you want me & others to spread the word how about designing a "Flyer" either in A4 or A5 size that we can print off at home! Very Happy

Like this one? Was announced by Rob a few days ago.
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as a thought and I'm not a DBA, but work in IT, is there anything any of us can do to assist in supporting this new update timetable, I mean, other than continuing to observe and submit cameras?

I've only seen two new mobiles, and one of those wasrejected because it was only being operated by PCSO's, but nevertheless, I'll submit any that I see.

The Free Lifetime Membership does not bother me at all, since I consider £19 a year is excellent value.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scarymonkey wrote:
Like this one? Was announced by Rob a few days ago.

Beat me too it!
richard345 wrote:
ust as a thought and I'm not a DBA, but work in IT, is there anything any of us can do to assist in supporting this new update timetable, I mean, other than continuing to observe and submit cameras?

Thanks for the offer Richard but we're on top of it, appreciate the offer though.
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Darren,

Don't forget me though, if there's ever anything.
Tanny
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobBrady wrote:
Tanny wrote:
Very Happy This is excellent news.

Welcome to the forums Tanny! Smile

Thank You, I have been with the forum for a while just that was my 1st post here.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if anything i think this will improve quality.

take for example temporary SPECS on a motorway...

it's been 2 weeks since the last release and we've had a handful of submissions for specs on a motorway. the submissions are quite spaced out but close enough to realise there's one camera there - although not to pinpoint it's location.

going towards release time i still cannot pinpoint the exact location and a verifier has not managed to get to it yet.

now, do i: release the database without these specs cameras even though i know they are there (somewhere) and leave it for 3 weeks until the next release? knowing that by then i can make them more accurate but also that there will be a few complaints in the forum and maybe a further 50-80 submissions to process?

or do i release the database with potentially inaccurate data so people at least get a warning? and then still have to process all the 'corrections submissions?

now consider the new weekly release schedule. if the data is not accurate enough to release then i can rest safe in the knowledge that it can be released in 1 week - which is 'safer' than leaving it up to 3 weeks and in 1 week there will not be as many superfluous submissions to process. rather than releasing dodgy data that will sit in the database for a few weeks awaiting hundreds of correction submissions!

so the extra work of physically releasing the database is countered by the fact that there will actually be less submissions for new cameras as they will appear in the database quicker.

everyone's a winner!

MaFt
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regards promoting the site I know I am probably stating the obvious but has a has a mail shot been considered for transport firms ,I know in the past I believe PGPSW has had a tie up with a sat nav retailers in putting a demo of the database on there sat navs which are sold !!
The other option could be selling the 1 year update through a retailer in the form of a pack containing the access code I know piracy could be a problem but could this be overcome
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john877 wrote:
With regards promoting the site I know I am probably stating the obvious but has a has a mail shot been considered for transport firms

We're halfway there, we made this announcement on the site in August to gauge interest.
john877 wrote:
The other option could be selling the 1 year update through a retailer in the form of a pack containing the access code I know piracy could be a problem but could this be overcome

This is something we're still discussing.

Thanks for the suggestions John, keep 'em coming!

Suggestion Box
mattstachurski
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
everyone's a winner!

MaFt

Good work pgps world keep it up!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curse you all!

This means I really have to sort through all my driving logs and delivery notes to dig out the verifications I haven't submitted yet over the last week! In my defence, my email has been playing up (wrong, it's not been doing any damned thing!) and my PC has been messing me around. And it took me 5.25 hours to get home the 115 miles from London today.

Edit "from London last night"

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Tom59
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Darren chappy, bit of a slave driver you know. Now that he has got MaFt working twice as hard, he needs to get all the Verifiers verifiying twice as fast!

We now need to concentrate on Oldboy and Oldie, obviously they are now slower than all the rest!

Not on at all! Pile on the POI's! Laughing

TT iPhone app
V 1.23 Map: Western and Central Europe 2 GB V 965.7286

TT iOS Go Mobile
V 1.1 Map: Western Europe 965.7248
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom59 wrote:
We now need to concentrate on Oldboy and Oldie, obviously they are now slower than all the rest!

I hope that that was in jest! Shocked

I've always found that any alterations that I've submitted to the Free POIs have been done exceedingly quickly - usually within a couple of hours! Thumbs Up

The more regular camera database releases will actually make it easier for me as a verifier, as I'll see the sites that I've verified on the public release and I can then concentrate on verifying other sites.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: