Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - My TomTom 730T switches off & on by it self
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

My TomTom 730T switches off & on by it self
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steveee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I reported a very similar problem earlier in this thread. I returned my 920T to PCWorld last Sunday for repair as I am fed up with fixing the TT problems myself. Evil or Very Mad

I would prefer TT to actually incur some cost themselves, e.g. their postage and their time fixing it. Luckily I have my old GPS solution.

Perhaps if everyone did this they would come up with a solution, especially when they see it is costing them and their retailer’s money?

I will report back in a week or so when I get the unit back.
GO 920 (retired)
Garmin Oregon 550T
Garmin Drivesmart
pdegg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now my 520 is having the same trouble - and I've avoided updates for a couple of months. I have cured the file error by running a chkdsk though.
elljay
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I did a chkdsk or three and got rid of the gnsdata file. I've also got data.chk (5MB) and data_li.chk (1.6MB) files in the root directory of the TT which Windows thinks are recovered files. Had a search here but can't see them mentioned so I'll leave them for now. Hopefully my TT will be happy now!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave those files alone they are system files containing some of the audio that the device uses, if you remove or modify them the device won't boot up at all - remember the unit isn't running Windows so some of the files confuse the PC - Mike
elljay
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'll leave them alone. Thanks for the advice.
Steveee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, called PC World 14/10 to ask where my TT GO 920 was. Told it was only sent to TT 08/10 Evil or Very Mad After I pointed out they had sat on it for nearly 2 weeks they agreed to send me a new one. It would be in the store 15/10 in time for a drive to Brussels.

Picked it up, quickly configured it and started the journey. When I go the other side of Calais got a "cannot write to file" message, but it carried on working all the way to Brussels. Even TMC was working well.

On 16/10 on my return, the TT GO 920 would not plan the route home Angry Kept on trying to take me back to where I started….

Could only get it to work by using the plan a route option, i.e. give it a start and finish location. If I strayed from the planned route it would lock up and restart - yes same old problem.

When I got home, deleted the GNSdata file, upgraded the TT OS and loaded latest maps.

On 17/10 drove to Windsor - everything worked well. On my return trip the TT GO 920 initially refused to start. I used the reset button. It then proceeded to restart every 3 minutes Gun Shoot Out

I have again returned it back to PC World and await TT response. I will call them in 2 weeks. Hopefully if we all do this enough times the retailers will pressure TT to fix the problem as it is costing them time and money to get it back and forwards....
GO 920 (retired)
Garmin Oregon 550T
Garmin Drivesmart
elljay
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't sound like you're having much luck, Steve. My TT has been working fine since I deleted the gnsdata file. *touch wood*
Steveee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recognise that deleting the gnsdata file fixes most of these problems but when you travel a lot as I do you do not have access to a PC to make the necessary changes quickly; it is not really a solution. Rolling Eyes

On that basis, I will annoy PCWorld and TT by repeatedly returning the 920T until they replace it with one that works reliably. I can already see that the 920T is no longer available from PCWorld, so does the 930T and 940T display the same problems?
GO 920 (retired)
Garmin Oregon 550T
Garmin Drivesmart
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had less crashes with the 930 than the 720, but that might be due to the time I have had each unit, the 930 does seem stable though.

As for an x40 device, anyone who might have one of these will be covered by a Non Disclosure Agreement and as such won't discuss what it can/ cannot do - I guess you will get some answers to this question when the devices hit the shops - and before you ask, I don't know when they will be going on sale in the UK - Mike
Steveee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, according to PCWorld the 940 Live estimated release date is 24/10/2008.
GO 920 (retired)
Garmin Oregon 550T
Garmin Drivesmart
Steveee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally had the call from PCW to say my GO920 had been replaced. When I collected it I quickly realised TT had replaced it with a GO730 Confused Not sure if this was good or bad Confused I chose to point this out to PCW and insist on the GO9xx model as I will probably be in the USA in the next 6 months.

Initially PCW said they would have to return it Evil or Very Mad However they relented and replaced it with a new GO920.

Of course as I have already had a replacement I now have to persuade TT to allow TT Home to update the maps to the latest version - can't have more than 2 new units on an account in a 6 month period Evil or Very Mad

In the meantime I have transferred all my favourites to a POI file as suggested elsewhere. At least this will make me future proof if I ever have to change to a new model....
GO 920 (retired)
Garmin Oregon 550T
Garmin Drivesmart
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, if you use a new e-mail address for the new 920 and then update the device so it is running 8,010 (this might take more than one update) then use the Latest Map Guarantee button it should automatically update the maps to the latest version for free without transferring any account settings - Mike
Steveee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, to use a new e-mail address, 1st you have to have one! My other e-mail address is a company one and they will get upset if I use that.

When I got the 1st GO930 the Map Guarantee did not work. I had to get TT to switch the functionality on. I see little chance of it working with a new e-mail address and can imagine the arguments and confusion when they ask me to send them a copy of the receipt again - it will be 5 months old.

What is interstesting is that TT sent me a GO730 as a replacement, rather than a GO930. I suspect this was not a mistake, this is more evidence (apart from it no longer appearing on TomTom.com) it has been withdrawn from the product range.

I have to admit I hold out little hope that this 3rd device will not display the same fault as the others. If it does show the fault, I will send it back again. The suggestion of deleting the gnsdata file does not work when you are in the middle of France or Belgium and the PC is over 300 miles away. Driving
GO 920 (retired)
Garmin Oregon 550T
Garmin Drivesmart
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hotmail or Gmail are free to use although I would have thought you could add another account to your BT account and only have it for the new device? Most major ISP's allow more than one e-mail address against your account - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My btinternet.com account allows me my main account, plus 4 sub accounts (interestingly, all still receiving [junk] mail, even though I left BT in February).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: