Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Switching Voice Files
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Switching Voice Files

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R1chard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 11:26 pm    Post subject: Switching Voice Files Reply with quote

What I'd like to be able to do is to switch between different voicefiles (i.e. English and French) without having to install files via ActiveSynch or a card reader. In other words I want to be able to do this without involving my PC.

I could store the alternative voice files on my Ipaq2210 or on a CF card so a nice little app would be fantastic if it could automate the switching of the files. But I guess that's asking too much so is there a relatively pain-free way make this happen manually?

Cheers.

Richard
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many more people will be interested in that? Writing the app is relatively easy, but is it worth the effort?

Manually you can do that in the registry.

HKCU\Software\TomTom\TomTom Navigator\Voice\LastInstalled

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
R1chard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
How many more people will be interested in that? Writing the app is relatively easy, but is it worth the effort?

Manually you can do that in the registry.

HKCU\Software\TomTom\TomTom Navigator\Voice\LastInstalled
I don't know how many people would be interested but it doesn't feel to me like an outrageous request. I have a mobile phone which allows me to switch between 4 or 5 languages very easily without going through a lengthy download procedure so it doesn't seem unreasonable that a piece of software that retails internationally might have a similar facility.

I don't really understand the registry changes I would need to make using your suggestion. Can you be a bit more specific as it looks like it might be the answer for me.

Cheers.

Richard
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One big difference between your phone and a Navigator voice is that the voice files are relatively large - about 3.5MBytes.

If you want a totally Pocket PC way of installing different voice files, you could copy the CAB files relating to the voices you want to your storage card, and make them read only. You then use Remove Programs to remove your existing voice (Start Menu, Settings, System tab, Remove Programs) then tap on the CAB of the voice you want to install in a file manager. If the CAB file wasn't marked as read only, it will be deleted once it's installed.

David
R1chard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks David - sounds like I'm getting closer to a solution.

So what I think you're saying is that I could store both versions of the CAB files as "read only" on my CF card, then when I want to switch from one language to another I would remove the currently installed files using "remove programs" then tap in the CAB file of the target language files which would install the new files.

A bit clunky but nevertheless it sounds like a viable option - it's not as if I want to be switching laguages every other day but I can envisage times I would want to do it when I don't have a PC available - like when I'm abroad (or when I'm just bored!).

Cheers for the help.

Richard
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to delete the currently installed sound files. simply install the other one and accept the " reinstall"

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true - though TomTom have sometimes used different 'application names' in voice CABs in the past - which can leave redundant entries in the Remove Programs list if you don't uninstall.

David
R1chard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've now achieved a solution which enables me to quickly switch between languages. This could also be useful if you like to switch between male and female voices in the same language.

Although this is not quite how I did it, I think this is the best non-technical procedure:

1) Copy the existing installed folder and contents "program files/navigator" to another location (say your CF Card).
2) Rename the folder to something like "navigator_english".
3) Move it back to the program files folder.
4) Install your second language/voice files from the installation disk in the normal way so that when you fire up the application it will be using the second language.

To switch between languages/voices use the explorer application to:
1) Locate the program files folder
2) Rename "navigator" to something like "navigator_french"
3) Rename "navigator_english" to "navigator"
4) Fire up TTN.

What this does is to have two versions of TTN installed - one in each language. So to switch between them you simply need to ensure that the folder contaning the language/voice you want to use is named "navigator" and the one you're not using is named something else.

I'm not quite sure yet what impact this has on the TTN configuration settings e.g. if you change a setting whilst running the English version would you need to change the sae setting when you run the French version?

The reason for using the installation disk instead of extracting the CAB files is that the extracted CAB files then have to be renamed per the ini file which comes with the CAB folder. As there's 59 voice files this can take a long time to do manually and is open to error although you can, if you're carfeful, use a bulk file renaming program to do the job for you.

Richard
Genie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent. I just found your post and wanted to do extactly the same.

I'm off to germany today, so Ive' done like you say and set the voice files up to german and can switch betweeen english and german.

Cool.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I missing the point here, but why when in a different country do you want to listen to directional commands in another language?
Parky
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just thinking the exact same thing, why !!! Question
R1chard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak for Genie but as I speak both English and French it feels more natural to listen to the commands in French when I'm in a French speaking country (as I am right now).

Richard
Genie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it did sound a bit wierd. Embarassed

I´m here in Germany at the moment and living for a couple of weeks with relatives.

They are fluent german speakers, so I stick it in his car for his benefit as we are planning on a long family trip (Switzerland)

When I need to hire a car, i´ll just switch it back to English.

As you can guess I can´t keep away from Pocket GPS World even when on holiday! :D
joejoe123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen this "Voice switcher" in another post in this forum , maybe you try it . i am happy with Jane all the time :D
http://members.chello.nl/~ravelin/

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: