Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - latest map guarantee 520
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

latest map guarantee 520
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlandEi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Tom Tom had not answered my question posted online with proof of purchase, I telephoned them this morning, and this is the conclusion of my dialogue with Tom Tom...

quote -as the latest map on the date of purchase of your device... 12-08-08... was the ver. 720... then that is the only map you are entitled to using the LMG, regardless if a newer map is introduced before you use the LMG
people who wait until near the end of the LMG period of one month in case a newer map comes out, are being dishonest, and a few do slip through the cracks, but Tom Tom is endeavouring to close those loopholes.- unquote

I tried to explain that I now have a new device which is less than a month old, yet out of date, and the operator compared it to a motor vehicle or TV which are quickly superceded by new models, "and you wouldn't expect those companies to change that old model for a new one".

I suppose there is logic there somewhere, but I can;t help feeling that I have lost out, particularly as this was not JUST a map upgrade, but offered a couple of extra features on the device as well.

Alan.
AlandEi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I am really confused now... I have had another look at the wording of the latest map guarantee on the Tom Tom support site, and in my opinion it conflicts with the reasons I was given in my previous post...

Question... What is the latest map guarantee?... Answer

TomTom provides you with the latest map pre-installed on your new device. On top of that, if a newer map is available within 30 days from when you start using your device, you are entitled to one free map download.
The latest map guarantee is available on:
TomTom GO 930/730/530
TomTom GO 920/720/520
TomTom XL 30 Series
TomTom ONE XL*
TomTom ONE 30 Series
TomTom ONE 3rd Edition
TomTom RIDER 2nd Edition*
* Only if the device came with the 7.xx application and 7.xx maps pre-installed

Is there a higher authority at Tom Tom who I can appeal to ?

Alan.
Froggy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: latest map guarantee 520 Reply with quote

Seems Tomtom may be on shaky ground legally, especially with regard to their last paragraph about LMG on their website

'This means there’s a small chance that a newer map has been released since the production of your TomTom. But don’t worry. With TomTom’s latest map guarantee, if the map preloaded on your device is not the latest version, you can download it FREE at TomTom HOME.

Check within 30 days

Latest map guarantee means that if a newer map is released during 30 days from when you first start using your device, you’re entitled to one free map download.

You can check as often as you wish during your 30 day guarantee to see if a newer map has been released.'
mrfreeze
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Froggy,
If you read all AlandEi posts, you will see that he did get "one free upgrade" so i don't see where they are in trouble.

Unfortunately he got an upgrade which was immediately out of day, that day or the next. But they did honour their LMG and gave him "one free uprgrade".

I'm not saying i agree with TT, because i think it stinks, but they didn't do anythin wrong legally
Kate v710 UK & ROI v850.2781
Froggy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: latest map guarantee 520 Reply with quote

My point was regarding the wording of the reply from Tomtom

quote -"as the latest map on the date of purchase of your device... 12-08-08... was the ver. 720... then that is the only map you are entitled to using the LMG, regardless if a newer map is introduced before you use the LMG"

This wording would seem to imply that Tomtom are using the date of purchase of the satnav as the cutoff date for LMG, ignoring the 30 days...

If they were implying that one download had already been made, that should have been the simple statement Crying or Very sad
mrfreeze
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Froggy,

Sorry i see your point now Embarassed , and yes the quote is confusing.

I guess if you bought a TT from a stockist who had old units on the shelf that were out of date as soon as you turned it on, then they are saying you can use a LMG.
But if you bought an up to date unit that had the current map at the date of purchase then you are not entitled to the LMG.

Looking at the wording on the LMG i got it states:-
"Now , Tom Tom offers the Latest Map Guarantee. If Tom Tom release a new map within 30 days from when you start using your Tom Tom, you can download it for free!"
This doesn't seem to support the statement made to the OP.

I suppose he could agrue that they still released a new map within 30 days and so is eligible for that also.
Reading the LMG i got there is no mention of only using it once either!
Kate v710 UK & ROI v850.2781
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlandEi wrote
Quote:
this is the conclusion of my dialogue with Tom Tom...

quote -as the latest map on the date of purchase of your device... 12-08-08... was the ver. 720... then that is the only map you are entitled to using the LMG, regardless if a newer map is introduced before you use the LMG
people who wait until near the end of the LMG period of one month in case a newer map comes out, are being dishonest, and a few do slip through the cracks, but Tom Tom is endeavouring to close those loopholes.- unquote
If this was true, then why would they give you 30 days. Surely they would say you must update withing 2 days or something similar.

As others are still getting the latest maps, keep trying
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Alan: Read this thread from an American TT forum, especially the posts from 'herm':
http://www.gpsreview.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8454&start=0
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone with an x20 device got v8 maps via LMG?

I wonder if TT's point is that x20 devices were never available with v8 maps installed, as by the time v8 maps were released the x20s had been replaced by the x30s. They will therefore only allow LMG to be used for v720, which was the last map x20s shipped with.

After all, you can't blame them for not being prepared to allow a free upgrade of an x20 device, that had been bought at a discount because the model had been superseded by the x30 and was no longer being produced, to the equivalent of the newer, more expensive device.
Samsung Galaxy S21
joeann90
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
Has anyone with an x20 device got v8 maps via LMG?

I wonder if TT's point is that x20 devices were never available with v8 maps installed, as by the time v8 maps were released the x20s had been replaced by the x30s. They will therefore only allow LMG to be used for v720, which was the last map x20s shipped with.

After all, you can't blame them for not being prepared to allow a free upgrade of an x20 device, that had been bought at a discount because the model had been superseded by the x30 and was no longer being produced, to the equivalent of the newer, more expensive device.

Hi Very Happy

I have used the LPG with my 520 a few days ago and got an upgrade to the new 810 map with no problem, the original map on it when i received it was version 715 , so you can get the new map with the 520 Smile

I
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joeann90 wrote:
Hi Very Happy

I have used the LPG with my 520 a few days ago and got an upgrade to the new 810 map with no problem, the original map on it when i received it was version 715 , so you can get the new map with the 520 Smile

I

I believe you had vouchers with yours specifically stating you were entitled to two map updates before June 2009, which is different from the usual Latest Map Guarantee.

BTW, Latest Map Guarantee = LMG. LPG = Liquefied Petroleum Gas!
Samsung Galaxy S21
scointer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I bought a GO520 last Monday and upgraded via home using the LMG and got the 810 version map. I had no vouchers it was just the standard GO520 edition bought from Halfords so I can confirm brand new x20 purchases should automatically get the 810 version map. Cheers.
joeann90
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
joeann90 wrote:
Hi Very Happy

I

I believe you had vouchers with yours specifically stating you were entitled to two map updates before June 2009, which is different from the usual Latest Map Guarantee.

BTW, Latest Map Guarantee = LMG. LPG = Liquefied Petroleum Gas!

Hi, Smile
I still used my LMG Embarassed sorry think my keyboard is acting up Sad to get the 810 map, the voucher is in the box to be used at a later time, before june 2009 ,with the 520 business edition , you will be able to get an additional map upgrade on top of your LMG so if you can buy the 520 business version, you can upgrade your maps twice, i got mine from ebuyer, who are doing it on a sale at the moment,if anyone was thinking of getting a new 520 Smile
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to both of you for the clarification. That's that theory out of the window then!
Samsung Galaxy S21
AlandEi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If this was true, then why would they give you 30 days. Surely they would say you must update withing 2 days or something similar

I asked all of these questions Calomax... the young ladies answer to that one was, that you may be on vacation... so Tom Tom want to give you a reasonable time to update to the map that was current when you purchased it, as it may have been on the shelf for a while.

I posted on the support site again, enclosing a copy of the LMG, pointing out that their interpretation of this document was flawed... they have now gone back to insisting that I used my LMG on 02-09-08... two days before ver. 810 came out... even though they have my ISP download record for last week, that proves I used my LMG on the afternoon of Thursday the 4th.... download totals for the other 6 days average from 17 Mb to 40 Mb... nowhere near enough for the map

Which is the crux of my complaint mrfreeze... yes, I have had one map download... but the map offered to me was the 720, on the same day that map 810 was available,... which I discovered later that evening... Tom Tom have used every excuse in the book since then to deny me the LATEST map that was available on the day I used my LMG.

I suppose their next move will be to use the first reason they gave me... that my device was activated on 02-07-08... I purchased it new on 12-08-08, and activated it on 02-09-08... but one thing is for sure,... I am not going to get that map..........

Alan.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: