Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - V8.10 maps.... HOW MUCH!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

V8.10 maps.... HOW MUCH!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, a week has passed since Mike A. advised us on page one to wait a week for more news from TomTom.

Have they said anything????
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Well, a week has passed since Mike A. advised us on page one to wait a week for more news from TomTom.
Are you sure I said that?? Wink - Mike
srpearson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets face it Tom Tom's are good and with quarterely updates we have an up to date map at our fingure tips.
Problem is does a 15% annual change demand the purchase of a new map at the price. Uk and Ireland in data terms is 10% the size of Western Europe but not 10% the cost. I can understand the full price when purchasing a different map for the first time but a new version of the same map is an update as we have most of the data on the machine (15% change). This should equate to a charge a lot less than the full price. Who owns the mapping company anyway, an excellant opportunity to keep the prices low and award valued customers.
The secret to keeping customers is to provide value for money, the market must be near satuation lets hope tom tom want to maintain there market share and provide a fair prising structure.
carl_the_cobbler
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll find it was Darren, who told us to wait.

The only reason I upgraded to V8 was to get the new functionality, the maps obviously change but I reckon you could still get to where you want even if you used Map versions from a few years ago, would just have to be prepared to be in more fields than normal.

I won't upgrade my maps for at least a year, and that would be the earliest unless new functionality is introduced.

Cheers

Carl
scointer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen numerous posts stating these new maps contain the advanced lane guidance and IQ routes but I have not seen a single post from someone confirming both or either definetly work on a GOx20 system NOW. I have in fact seen one post where a person has quoted that although the information is contained in the new maps the x20 would still require a further firmware update to actualy use it. I am desperate for someone to 100% confirm these features either way. Someone out there must surely have the answer by now.

P.S. There also seems to be a slight confusion as to what kind of IQ information these use. i.e. is it just weekdays/weekends or is it the full 24/7 five minute intervals information.

Thanks in advance for anyone taking the time to reply.

I have posted this question in mysatnav forum also as I am not sure which one is the most active...sorry if this is not really the correct thing.
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not tried the v8 maps yet (waiting to see what this anticipated TomTom announcement is), but my understanding is that IQ Routing/Lane Guidance will work if you have v8 software installed, but not if you're still on v7. I believe the IQ Routing is just weekdays/weekends in the UK at present.
carl_the_cobbler
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They definitely work on my 920.

I have Software Version 8. something (sorry not got equipment here) think it is 8.10 and I have the Western and Central Europe 8.010 map that have the IQ and ALG.

Lane Guidance works really well. The IQ routes as I understand it are just Weekend or Weekday, and that is the way they appear on my system.
Hope this helps.

Cheers

Carl
scointer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much that was exactly the response I wanted. Just as a final question could anyone confirm if the x30 only use weekday/weekend IQ info and it is just the x40 that is supposedly going to use 24/7 five minute info for the IQ routing....which I guess means different maps and probably different software (navcore 8.2 i believe). Thanks.
ragoth
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: +1 for IQ and Lane Guidance Reply with quote

Yep, my 520 now pops up lane guidance on the Route Demos I do where motorways are used, and in the route planning screen it says 'IQ Route - Weekday' or whatever.
On one of the radio button choices it gives, it will ask you to choose between today, tomorrow, weekday, saturday, sunday... if i recall. ie. i think it distinguished between which weekend day it was.
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daggers wrote:
I've not tried the v8 maps yet (waiting to see what this anticipated TomTom announcement is), but my understanding is that IQ Routing/Lane Guidance will work if you have v8 software installed, but not if you're still on v7. I believe the IQ Routing is just weekdays/weekends in the UK at present.

Now I'm confused....

What other days are there? I know this damned government would love to have an 8 or 9 day week but what else is there other than weekdays or weekends?

Confused Laughing
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wazza_G wrote:
Daggers wrote:

Now I'm confused....

What other days are there? I know this damned government would love to have an 8 or 9 day week but what else is there other than weekdays or weekends?

Confused Laughing

What? How soon they forget. Sad

The Beatles...."Eight Days a Week" Very Happy Laughing
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wazza_G wrote:
Now I'm confused....

What other days are there?

The trouble is that it's either weekend or weekday, regardless of time - so 2am on a weekday is classified as heavier traffic than midday at the weekend, which may clearly not be the case.

There's no differentiation between peak or off-peak periods, which could be rather useful.
snownrock
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
ALG/ Reality view does not work with the One product range, in fact you will be offered the v725 map for that device which is a little cheaper due to the missing ALG/ Reality view and IQ Routes, the map data will be the from the same release so the roads etc will be the same, the additional information is what is missing, only the more costly devices can make use of the v8 maps - Mike

For the less initiated this is true. I think it is daylight robbery the amount TT charge for their maps (especially when they update them so frequently), and devices TBH.
carl_the_cobbler
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We have approached TomTom for official comment on the quiet release of the new v8.10 map data. They have replied that 'we will have more information next week'.

Until then I would caution anyone against jumping in and buying these maps just yet.

You have been warned, caution advised

Any news yet?

Cheers

Carl
knoxploration
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scointer wrote:
I have seen numerous posts stating these new maps contain the advanced lane guidance and IQ routes but I have not seen a single post from someone confirming both or either definetly work on a GOx20 system NOW. I have in fact seen one post where a person has quoted that although the information is contained in the new maps the x20 would still require a further firmware update to actualy use it. I am desperate for someone to 100% confirm these features either way. Someone out there must surely have the answer by now.

P.S. There also seems to be a slight confusion as to what kind of IQ information these use. i.e. is it just weekdays/weekends or is it the full 24/7 five minute intervals information.

Thanks in advance for anyone taking the time to reply.

I can confirm that on my TomTom Go 920T with App 8.010 (9369/080529) and with map "'North_America' v810.1907", both automatic lane guidance and IQ Routes are working for me. IQ Routes is weekday / weekend only, sadly.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: