Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Open letter to TomTom about address lookup (Navigator 3 GB)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Open letter to TomTom about address lookup (Navigator 3 GB)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tom9851
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit that as each day passes I am becoming less and less optimistic about an early resolution of these problems. Crying or Very sad
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping over the next few days to write to TomTom's CEO about the outstanding problems. I was hoping to have this done some time back, but I've been extremely busy.

David
Mark R Penn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here's my posts and the responce I eventually got - the best so far I think. You really do have to keep pushing them! (read from the bottom up!)

Quote:
Response 28/05/2004 03.15 PM
Dear heer Berry,

We are committed to solve this. This is in the customers and our own intrest.

How/Why? I honestly don't know I'm not a programmer. Therefore not able to pin point where the problem is beeing generated.

*We take this very serious.

We hope to have answered your question to your satisfaction.
With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team
Customer 28/05/2004 02.56 PM
Thanks, but I already know you have no solution yet. What I want to know, and think all your UK users deserve to know, is what you are doing to resolve the issue. Are you committed to doing so? Do you even accept that there is a serious problem?

In the absence of a proper reply, everyone is thinking that you simply don't care, and are not intending to fix the fault.
Response 28/05/2004 01.56 PM
Dear heer Berry,

Bad news I'm afraid,

At this moment I can't provide you with a "long term solution" This is still under investigation.

With best regards,

Customer 20/05/2004 11.23 AM
Can I have an update on progress please. You have been aware of this issue for a long time, yet there appears to be nothing happening to resolve it.
BoPeep
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: Open Letter Response #2 Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

Time for another update... Here's the response I received today at 14:04. This is after I opened the help file up a second time as they closed it after one response the first time.

Quote:
Dear Ms ****,

Again my apologies,

Bad news I'm afraid,

I still can't provide you with a proper solution, this is still under investigation by our development department.

With best regards,

<Sarcastic head on> Oh, yes, TomTom - thank you for your long and detailed response to my problem - the problem has most definitely been answered to my satisfaction. I can't think why people need to keep bothering you about this problem if all your answers are this helpful!!! Censored <Sarcastic head off>

Are people still continuing to re-open and re-submit help requests on this topic, as I will continue doing this as long as possible if it would help?

Regards,

Bo Peep.
Mark R Penn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just keep on at them (see my post above yours). Eventually they will get something done.
PW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all just pure guesswork on my part.
My thought is that TomTom are going through a stage of rapid expansion. GPS is becoming big business. They don't have enough people to support the customers properly. Perhaps they have brought new people on to the team but it will take a while before they are experienced enough to really help.
Two other problems they may be facing are
1) The developement team are working like crazy to keep up/keep ahead of the competition. It is sometimes better to put out a product early which is not quite 100% to grab market share.... although if it is too poor, this will effect you in the long run as customers jump ship. It's a very fine line.
As this stage, new stuff may be of higher priority than bug fixes... especially fixes that need external help e.g. map changes.
2) Their internal communication has gone to pot as they expand. The issues that are really annoying customers are just not getting to the right people.

How to resolve this? The more people who complain the more likely it is to get resolved. The only other option is to hit a company where it hurts.... in the pocket. People would have to return the product and say it is not fit for purpose. Obviously one person returning it would have little effect it would take more of a team effort. I wonder how they would react to hundreds of copies of TT3 arriving in their office in Amsterdam in one day! However, as TT3 works (albeit not as well as it could in some areas), it may be difficult to mobilise enough disgruntled users to do this.
Mark R Penn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PW wrote:
This is all just pure guesswork on my part.
My thought is that TomTom are going through a stage of rapid expansion. GPS is becoming big business. They don't have enough people to support the customers properly. Perhaps they have brought new people on to the team but it will take a while before they are experienced enough to really help.
Two other problems they may be facing are
1) The developement team are working like crazy to keep up/keep ahead of the competition. It is sometimes better to put out a product early which is not quite 100% to grab market share.... although if it is too poor, this will effect you in the long run as customers jump ship. It's a very fine line.
As this stage, new stuff may be of higher priority than bug fixes... especially fixes that need external help e.g. map changes.
2) Their internal communication has gone to pot as they expand. The issues that are really annoying customers are just not getting to the right people.

The trouble is, those are exactly the excuses they've been useing for over a year now, since the TTN2 upgrade was released.

Just how long do they expect us to give them the benefit of the doubt I wonder?
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't think they are interested, customer services has never been a strong area for TT, but it would be relatively easy to improve. They appear to be more interested in blindly selling the traffic services instead of fix existing problems, or just keeping them informed on progress. Yet more marketing emails sent today, how about a 'We are working hard to fix it ...' email.

Along with all the problems detailed here, they have a big copy protection issue as both the application and map registration systems have now been cracked.
vxer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:53 pm    Post subject: Money Back Option???? Reply with quote

I am curious - has anyone actually tried asking for a refund? If so have they been successful? I am seriously contemplating returning to TTN2. Also, sorry if has been referred to in previous threads but just HOW in the world can places be in in TTN 2 and NOT in 3. What a c**k up!
jasuk70
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did but due to non delivery, It will take at least a week to process and they need every single detail about your bank and account to do it.

Basically I couldnt be bothered to wait that long and after getting annoied with the person on the phone it got shipped that night. I have in a thread where someone has asked for their money back though. (Sorry cant remember which one).

Anyhow, as TT3 is my first TomTom Navigator I have to make the most of it as I can't go back to TT2.

Jas
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
garygfx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new to Tomtom and at first thought I had totally failed to understand how to find an address. Now, thanks to this forum, I know that I'm not being stupid and Tomtom is really crap at finding addresses.

Why on earth can't they use a well established 2 prong approach that I've found works well for www.rac.co.uk, PC based route mapping, and the Royal Mail's developer's kit. (I build an address finder for a website).

1) Search by postcode... type in the postcode and it finds the location. The more letters you type the more accurage it is. e.g. AB1 is for an area, AB1 2CD is for a building or a dozen buildings.
2) Search by city and road. After selecting a city it only searches for roads within the city. Tomtom3 seems to list roads well beyond the walls of a city, sometimes up to 20 miles away! Blinking stupid and a huge waste of time.

My wife couldn't wait for me to look up an address on Sunday so she pulled out the UK Road Atlas and found the street while I was still fiddling around with Tomtom. That was embarrasing as I was trying to impress her with modern technology. Thank God we haven't done away with books just yet.

Gary.
neilsumner2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that TT have almost no resources to spare on TTN3.
They have rapidly expanded launching a new hardware product TT 2 GO which used up almost all of their development time last year.
Come the new year they needed to launch a new product to keep the cash flow going and did as little work as possible to make TT3. Most of the reason to want to upgrade to TT3 came from a 3rd party... Teleatlas.
There were stacks of good ideas for implementation in the TT2 wishlist but TT did nothing to implement any of those.
What were they doing all year? Working on TT 2 GO thats what!
I love my TT2 and will not even consider upgrading until it is a stable and useable product.

The only way to make TT listen is to hit their pockets by not upgrading or demanding a refund stateing that TT3 is a step backwards and a broken product.

-Neil
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garygfx wrote:
Why on earth can't they use a well established 2 prong approach that I've found works well

To get the integrated feel to the product, they've really got to use the street and locality information in the TeleAtlas geodata they're using - otherwise it's a case of having two sets of street and locality information, one for searching, and one for every other use.

This quality of information seems to be a weakness of TeleAtlas geodata, but TomTom are not making best use of what they've got. If they sorted the results by distance from the 'city' entered, as I suggested further up the thread, that would improve things tremendously. A full fix will require a map reissue with a better database.

David
BizBo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh dear and I just bought TT3 thinking it would be better than my Kane Destinator! Seems I have dropped a clanger, ah well at least I have both so not totally left in the cold.

I am sure TT will address this issue and a fix will be out soon I hope!

Rolling Eyes
BizBo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why does the forum date indicate I posted this tomorrow 8O

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 5 of 12

Jump to: