Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Calling all beta testers
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Calling all beta testers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lowie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Calling all beta testers Reply with quote

I took part in a Beta test of the new functionality (IQ Routes etc) back in Jan and February and was promised a new map for my X20 in March/April. This has never been honoured by TomTom and I have even emailed them for an update without success.

Would be interested to know if any other beta testers got their shiny new map with IQ functions and if so do they have a contact at TT who assisted with it.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two months ago I engaged in lengthy support questions on this issue and was assured I'd get the map when it was ready to be issued for my 720. At that time, I made the point that some people had bought and downloaded v8 maps for x20 devices and even though they weren't officially available, the Beta test group was surely a case for letting us have the maps NOW rather than when they are released for everybody else. It didn't get me anywhere and I'm sure they are just holding them back until they start selling v8 maps to x20 owners - to be honest, I feel very badly let down - it's six months since we entered that Beta test programme and the IQ route maps were issued with x30 devices far earlier than our tests could have made any data contribution. I think we shall find that no sooner do we get our "new" maps than there will be an even later version released for sale to x30 users.

Anyway, the very latest I had was separate from the support questions thread, an email on 11th July as follows ...
Quote:
Dear Mr N

We have been informed about a e-mail correspondence going on with our support department and we would like to assure you that you have not been forgotten, but as the promised maps are not yet available for your device we can not offer these. Further we would strongly advise not to follow any instructions on forums explaining how to cheat the system in order to get maps that have not been designed to be used on certain devices, even though these might work it is not advisable to this as the usage of these maps might cause unforeseeable behavior and our support department will also not be able to assist with any issues coming out of this as these maps are not supported on these devices.

Again we want to assure you that you have not been forgotten and you WILL receive the maps once these have been officially been released for your device.

With kind regards,

TomTom Trial Technical Support Team
I have scrupulously observed the Non Disclosure Agreement, even to the extent of moderating some debate on this website in case it was a breach. This is the thanks I get, TomTom not keeping their side of the bargain.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only recently finished Beta testing IQ routes for the X20 series, so I think it will be some time before we get any working maps.
lowie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input DennisN. Good to see I'm not the only one disappointed yet again by TomTom Mad

Looks like we'll just have t okeep on pressing support on this one.
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes As we all know TomTom release dates have always been a mystery, but recently they have become complete fantasy. It's not just this beta, but a number of product release, last years x20 range took 6-7 months to appear after the official announcement, and when will we see the HD traffic & V8 maps they have missed the most important UK holiday period ? ? ?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpeedCam wrote:
... they have missed the most important UK holiday period ? ? ?

In time for next years then? Mad
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets look at basic facts here for a minute, TomTom have not yet officially released any maps containing IQ routes data for the x20 units.

I appreciate some of you have bought vs8 maps with IQ data and have them working on x20 devices, whether this was a mistake or intentional on TomToms part is not known.

When a map that is compatible with the x20 units containing IQ routes is available I am sure those that took place in the public beta will get their map, I don't recall any time scales being mentioned when the test rolled out. - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I don't recall any time scales being mentioned when the test rolled out. - Mike

Quote:
Dear DennisN,

Thank you for feedback and for participating in our Beta trial programme. Your request for email change will be effected. The product trial has now come to an end. We will send you an email around April 29 with exact details about the map and software downloads.

Thank you for helping TomTom make better products!

Regards

TomTom Team

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't say what year.... Wink

(ooh I bet I'm getting you wound up today...)
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Doesn't say what year.... Wink

(ooh I bet I'm getting you wound up today...)

As if that wasn't your intention, Andy! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen - I'm a OLD person. Next year or the year after is a bit crystal ball, blue sky, out of the box, for me, doncher know? I'd have twigged it if they'd said "April 29 2007", because I was still often typing 2007 instead of 2008 at the time.

zzr1200
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody got any further news on when to expect the maps for Beta testers?

Confused
lowie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called TT support last Friday as the new 8.10 maps are listed on my downloads at £99.99.

I was advised that we will get them as promised and that several other testers had enquired too. All they could then say was that we will be notified soon that they are available for us to download.

Didn't fill me with much confidence so I said I'd call back in a couple of weeks to chase and she said that may be a good idea.

Just a case of wait and see again Sad Sad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: