Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - V8.10 maps.... HOW MUCH!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

V8.10 maps.... HOW MUCH!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wait a week, is a new map that important ?? Laughing
carl_the_cobbler
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't that important, and after having just bought the darn machine about a month ago, I will be waiting for at least a week before I make my purchase.

I think it is just one of them things where someone knows something that others who have an interest in the subject, and obviously we all do to be here, would like to know about.

The end of the day it seems really peculiar to release something like these maps, as you said, so quietly. For some people the new features will be very important, and would make a good selling point, even at a hundred knicker.

So for that very reason if there is something to wait for, then you should wait.

One thing I have learnt in my short time here is that TomTom as a company do some very weird stuff, and I have never come across a product before that has so many bugs, problems and all the other things we read about on a daily basis on this wonderful website. But at the end of the day, they are pretty wicked bits of equipment when they work properly (which mine has since Day 1)

Cheers

Carl
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't argue with that, it is peculiar and I don't claim to understand it either!
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the Live Changing Maps with frequent releases at competitive prices?

http://www.livechangingmaps.com/?Lid=1
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I couldn't possibly say.
interdev
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Just wait a week, is a new map that important ??

What about if you are sitting with a new Go530 and the LMG runs out in less than a week. Would you activate that to get the 8.1 maps now ;)
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi friends
I must take my hat off to Darren, he's obviously British through and through. He will not talk even under extreme torture and has cyanide tablets just incase the pain becomes unbearable. Neither lighted matches inserted under his finger nails, a blowtorch flame round his unmentionables or his knee caps drilled with a 9mm drill will make him spill the beans.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I ask that people please stop trying to get Darren (or anybody else) to divulge information.

Even if Darren did know anything, it's grossly unfair to keep pestering anybody when they're likely to be covered by a Non-Disclosure Agreement.

Not only is it unfair, but it could also jeopardize the relationship which PGPSW currently has with TT, thus endanger PGPSW's future testing and advance notification of products etc.

I would therefore ask that members show a little patience instead of pushing anybody's integrity.

Please bear in mind that this could not only affect the individual personally, but PGPSW as a whole and even moderators are not privvy to such information. Those who are in the know show an admirable degree of integrity and honesty and it is only fair that members take 'no' as an answer when they're told that no information is available.

Thank you for your understanding.
carl_the_cobbler
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not trying to press anyone for any information but would like to be able to make a general comment about all the broohah.

From what I have seen on that new site that was linked a few messages back there is nothing new there, and they are still selling the maps from it. So if that is the new news that needed to be waited for it isn't actually that exciting.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Live Changing Maps is anything like MapShare, it's merely a means of rapidly reducing the accuracy of your maps and is likely to be turned off.

The saddest thing is that the "verified by TomTom" option does little and it looks like all corrections are treated the same and so many 'errors' are being submitted that it's worse than not correcting your map in many cases.
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Live Changing Maps is anything like MapShare, it's merely a means of rapidly reducing the accuracy of your maps and is likely to be turned off.

The saddest thing is that the "verified by TomTom" option does little and it looks like all corrections are treated the same and so many 'errors' are being submitted that it's worse than not correcting your map in many cases.

I would imagine statements like this are more inclined to damage the relationship between TomTom and yourself, although you are right. Wink
carl_the_cobbler
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But surely what is allegedly new is going to come to bear on these new maps Version 8.010(?) and nothing extra will be added one week after the new maps have been distributed.

The only thing I suppose is, if the new maps don't have this facility and we again have to wait for some more maps to be distributed to have this new technology then they are really taking the Michael.

Surely if purchased today, and I don't intend to, the new maps (V8 ones) will be the ones available for the forseeable, and all the new mapshare technology will have been integrated. It is simply bringing the x20 and x30 to be as we all said exactly the same. I am confused!!

Has anyone downloaded them?

Cheers

Carl
andyjdhurley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
If I could say I would Cool

Ok, I guess TomTom were happy with the extended map discounts offer so they now launch a new map at an extortionate price then a week later introduce a big discount.

Under UK law for a discount to be quoted you have to have sold at the higher price (somewhere) for a week.

New map next week for me in that case (assuming it supports ALG on my ONE).
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LesP2008 wrote:
I would imagine statements like this are more inclined to damage the relationship between TomTom and yourself, although you are right. Wink

It's a great concept, but very poorly implemented and I'm not the first person to have raised this within these forums.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALG/ Reality view does not work with the One product range, in fact you will be offered the v725 map for that device which is a little cheaper due to the missing ALG/ Reality view and IQ Routes, the map data will be the from the same release so the roads etc will be the same, the additional information is what is missing, only the more costly devices can make use of the v8 maps - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: