Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed Camera Database available for Garmin GPSR systems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Camera Database available for Garmin GPSR systems
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paynes1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Strumble/WiRED

I pm'd Skippy and he also suggested that I check that the 'Hide Above' settings should all be at Auto - they were. I have also raised the level on the map option.

I still cannot see anything on the unit when I zoom in on a couple of known locations without the unit connected to the bike. I don't know if I should, so I will try tomorrow on the way to work.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm hoping to get this sorted as I am riding to S.Ireland next week and this was on of the main reasons for getting the unit and subscribing.

Reading other posts it seems that I am not alone in having this problem.

Steve Payne
paynes1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem solved.

I had another problem where the vehicle marker was not exactly following the road on the map. I phoned Garmin who were extremely helpful. Although familiar with the camera software, the could not suggest a solution, however they did suggest a 'master reset' to solve the marker problem.

1. With the unit off press and hold the PAGE button ( 2 overlapping
squares), then press and hold OK, then press POWER.

2. A message will come up that says DO YOU REALLY WANT TO ERASE ALL
USER DATA.

3. You can then let go of the buttons and press YES.

4. The map will look as if you are in the USA, as it does when you initially take it out of the box. Let the unit acquire satellites for 15-30 minutes standing still. You will then go through the set up again.

Once the unit had realigned itself with the satellites, the marker lined up with the road and, as if by magic, I can now see the cameras on the overlay.

Thanks to those who tried to help, and hopefully this will be of use to others.

Steve Payne
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paynes1 wrote:
Problem solved.

Pleased to hear that and thanks for letting us know what the solution was!

Still not 100% certain what the problem was, but I'm leaning towards Strumbles mumbles about Navaids. The speed camera POIs are the icons for marine navigation aids and it is very likely that there is some option to suppress them. Pleased to see that it's working now.

A word of warning though, sometimes the Quest zooms out quite a long way (ie, when you are on a motorway or a road with a long ~20 mile distance to next turn) and the POIs disappear. Confused

paynes1 wrote:
I had another problem where the vehicle marker was not exactly following the road on the map.

Ahhh, there is an option called "Lock on road" which was switched off, resetting the Quest put it back to it's default of on. You can switch this off if you are not on the road (ie, plane, boat, train, walking etc) and it stops it snapping to the nearest road and shows you the position that the GPS is reporting. I think "lock on road" switches off automatically if you use the "Off Road" option when you calculate a route.

Enjoy your trip and watch out for the Garda Síochána Wink
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paynes1 wrote:
I'm hoping to get this sorted as I am riding to S.Ireland next week and this was on of the main reasons for getting the unit and subscribing.

Quote:
watch out for the Garda Síochána

Erm, Steve... Be warned, any sort of Speed Camera notification (even pictures in an atlas) is illegal in Eire. Apparently they are quite hot at enforcing it too.

Previous post 1
Prvious post 2

Sorry...
paynes1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the headsup Andy/Skippy.

Just a final thing about the cameras, the zoom needs to be at 800ft or below for them to show up. That is more than enough warning though.

Steve Payne
WiRED
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From today's download onwards the overlay map covers all the areas of the world for which data is available from the PocketGPSWorld database. This release (5.073) contains camera data for Australia / New Zealand, Africa and the United States of America, as well as the usual UK and Europe data.

Furthermore, the European and International camera POIs are now colour-coded by type in the same way that UK cameras always have been.

Canada and Asia cameras will follow once the data becomes available in the database.

Note that the international maps do not (yet) have any pMobile data. pMobiles are available however for the UK as part of the download. International pMobiles will be added either in the next release, or as an interim update (depending on how keen I feel Wink )

/WiRED
WiRED
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From today's release (5.075) the map contains all the provisional Mobile cameras (the pMobile cameras) from the worldwide PocketGPSWorld database. These are in a separate map family within Mapsource, therefore you can choose whether or not to install them onto your GPS.
The_Apprentice
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WiRED wrote:
Hi paynes1,

I'm looking at the Quest manual at the moment, page 35. Have a look at the Point Tab in Map Setup. It looks like it is possible to turn on/off the display of POIs using the 'Hide Above' setting. If that's set to Off, POIs will never display. Also, look at the Map Tab, and make sure that the Detail level isn't set too low. If you don't see the POIs when its set to Normal, try upping it to High (or whatever the higher settings are - manual doesn't say).

There are usually settings like the above on most Garmin units, and they often cause this sort of problem with the overlay.

/WiRED

Just wanted to say many thanks for the reply, that is exactly what happened with my Quest 1.

The "Hide Above" was set to Auto.
I have changed it to 2mi, so now they are visible when map resolution is at 2mi or less.
bobnic6
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: StreetPilot III Reply with quote

Hi all,

apologies if this is covered elswhere, but will this work with SPIII using City Navigator 7

TIA

Bob
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: StreetPilot III Reply with quote

bobnic6 wrote:
Hi all,

apologies if this is covered elswhere, but will this work with SPIII using City Navigator 7

TIA

Bob

It will Very Happy
bobnic6
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: StreetPilot III Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
bobnic6 wrote:
Hi all,

TIA

Bob

It will Very Happy

Many thanks, is this using the POI Loader software?

Bob
rach2k
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will it work with the nuvi 250w?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Many thanks, is this using the POI Loader software?

No. You do not need POILoader. Full instructions are here

-----------

Quote:
Will it work with the nuvi 250w?

No. You need one of the Garmin POILoader format databases. See the full instructions here . When downloading the database select "Garmin POILoader" and then (i suggest) "UK Consolidated Database"
chas820
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be having a very thick day but i cant find the two files mentioned so i can download the overlay map.I have downloaded the camera data base but the files dont appear in there,so would someone kindly link me direct to them as i have been going round in circles for the last hour.

Regards Del
eyeQue
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Download - Garmin Other - continue - Select from below - Gpsr overlay

Open the download and look in Mapsource drop down box on the PC[with all your mapping software] the two files should be shown on there!

'Select' them and transfer to Unit.

Last edited by eyeQue on Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: