Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Installing memory Map on Mio 168
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Installing memory Map on Mio 168

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bikerjohn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Installing memory Map on Mio 168 Reply with quote

I'm waiting for my Mio 168 to come from Ebay. I have memory map software and maps on my computer and my road Angel Navigator 7000 but how do I install it on the Mio? Any help welcome. Thanks
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use Active Sync or the Vista OS to connect the device to your PC, in Memory Map there is an option under PDA/ Install Pocket Navigator which will install the application to your device.
For the maps use the PDA/ Send visible Map Portion To PDA option to send your displayed map area to the device, keep the file size down below 200MB though to avoid problems getting the map to display (the full Lake District at 50K scale takes around 90MB so its not a big issue - just don't try sending an entire map region to the mobile device as it will be too large) - Mike
bikerjohn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - I installed memory map as you described then loaded a map where I am. I put it all on the SD card. I accessed the card by using the file explorer and tapping on the file (how do you get this on the desktop as an icon?). I could not get the 'padlock' to work even when going outside. I couldn't also get the 'satellites' option to display (greyed out). So I went into MENU, GPS, SETUP and set manufacturer to NMEA (options None, Navman and NMEA). Model is fixed at NMEA 0183, RMC. Port is COM1, serial cable on com1 (there are several options here), BAUD 4800.

On going into the map and looking as 'Satellites' nothing is shown, no bar chart or numbers. So what have I done wrong? I can scroll around maps but no position cursor is shown. I'm sure I've done something wrong but need help to find out what!

Thanks
bikerjohn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK an update - I did get it to work now by MENU, GPS, SETUP = Navman (manufacturer), PiN (model) and the port and Baud options then greyed out. I don't understand why this worked and the other settings didn't, or indeed if this is the best setting (its the only one that works as far as I can see!). Perhaps someone can shed some light just so I know why what I did worked - if that doesn't sound daft! Anyway this solution may help others in my situation. Thanks
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey if it works leave it well alone!

As for a Today Screen icon for the application this will be a tad more difficult as MM doesn't create one, you could look at using something like cLauncher to take over the Today Screen and create a custom setup, once done it can be very effective - Mike
Cluster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bikerjohn wrote:
OK an update - I did get it to work now by MENU, GPS, SETUP = Navman (manufacturer), PiN (model) and the port and Baud options then greyed out. I don't understand why this worked and the other settings didn't, or indeed if this is the best setting (its the only one that works as far as I can see!). Perhaps someone can shed some light just so I know why what I did worked - if that doesn't sound daft! Anyway this solution may help others in my situation. Thanks

Thanks, I've been wrestling with the same problem on an a201 with Memory Maps 2004 stuff all evening and your settings work for me too. I'd almost given up and was thinking of binning the 2004 maps Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Memory-Map All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: