Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How good is the 250w against TomTom?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How good is the 250w against TomTom?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cabsandy666
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: How good is the 250w against TomTom? Reply with quote

Might be a contreversial comment but my boss has just bought us all a 250w. I already have a MIO 201 with TomTom 6 loaded. I've not done a direct comparison yet but the TT seems to be a better app.Plus some of the routes the Garmin has (attempted) to take me seem weird (through the center of Glasgow rather than round it was one).
I'm wondering if anybody else has any views?-I like the look and feel of it and the maps are much more up to date, so I want to give it a fair apprasial but any views would be welcome

cheers

cab
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you have it set on shortest route or fastest route?

personally i prefer garmin to tomtom but my first 2 satnav's were garmin and i always see it the same as a pc vs mac issue - both have pro's and cons and in general you prefer the first 'flavour' you tried!

MaFt
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both sat navs will do a very good job for you its a bit like marmite you either hate it or like it !!
When I recently changed my sat nav I really wanted to get a Garmin this time as I was dissatisfied with the quality of Tomtom mapping .

But in the end the draw to the Tomtom was just to much !! I just felt more comfortable with the Tomtom and the way the mapping was laid out .
MaFt is spot on if you have never owned a sat nav before you have a more open mind !!but if you have owned one before you will always compare it to your previous one

Whichever you choose I am sure you will like it
cabsandy666
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers chaps

Its set on fastest route-the main reason is I set my TT on shortest route when I was in Catterick one year and it took me through farms-some of the looks I got were priceless.Eventually I went over a cattle grid and had to do a right turn across the A1 to go southbound.Scary!
One observation is that the Garmin always seems to be pulling you back towards the motorway-the TT seems to take a more conservative route.
I've uploaded the custom POI's as the inbuilt ones seem a bit hit and miss as well so I'll see how it goes.My leather "pouch" comes tomorrow to protect the ol 250w so I'll be giving it a good workout! Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: