Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom one xl lost sd card
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom one xl lost sd card

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markrfc
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Tomtom one xl lost sd card Reply with quote

Hi all got in the car today too find the sd card has ejected from my tomtom one xl and is nowhere to be found, the xl has never been out of the car so never been backed up or updated.
I still have the box and activation card for the gb and ireland maps, is there any way to download the software from tomtom and reinstall the maps?

Thank's in advance Mark.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without a backup you have no option but to purchase a new map directly from TomTom using the Home software via your PC, the other files and folders needed to get it all working again can be downloaded for free, if you want to persue this route I will post up a series of links to downloads from the TT server for te other free files needed - Mike
markrfc
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike that would be appreciated i don't mind buying a new map cheaper than a new device.

best regards Mark..
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have a search later tonight when my internet connection is back up and working (thank Virgin Media for that one the whole area is down at the moment) Searching for a couple of posts I have previously made detailing how to do this is not too easy on a mobile phone - Mike
markrfc
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank's Mike .
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1/ Purchase an SD card of the required capacity, 2GB is a good choice these days, make sure you get a card with a fast read/ write speed the Sandisk Exteme III cards are a safe bet.

2/ Go to Oldboy's web site by clicking Here and download the TomTom One V7,166 release.
Follow the instructions to install the files to your memory card.

3/ For the HelpMe files you can download them from Here

4/ For the PostCodes to work you can download the required data direct from TomTom by visiting This Page, again unzip the download and put the resultant “zip” folder in to the root directory of your storage card.

5/ If you need some voices they can be obtained free of charge from This Page, note you must be logged in to the TomTom web site to be able to click the download option adjacent to the voice. Unzip the download and place the two files into the “voices” folder in the root directory or your storage, if need be create the “voices” folder before putting the files in to it (note no”” are required).

6/ Next step is to update the software to the latest release using TomTom Home, and use Home to purchase/ download a map, if you don't intend European travel save yourself some cash and just purchase the UK & ROI map.

7/ At this point the device should be up and working, connect it to the PC and perform a full backup to the PC, I would also consider putting your backup on to a DVD just in case the PC dies at some future point.

I hope that helps - Mike
markrfc
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank's Mike for your help have managed to get it up and running after an hour messing around with a 8gb sdhc card to find out the card is't recognised, fitted a sandisk extreme 2 card and everything went according to plan.

Cheers again you are a star !!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news, now please back up the whole contents of the memory card to your PC just in case it goes wrong again - it will make life so much easier in future - use Windows Explorer for this - Mike
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike I followed step 3 of you directions for Mark hoping to get the First Aid and Other Guides as until a few days ago I did not have them presumably because I did not have map version 7 pre-installed. Everything seemed to work as described in the help information of the TT site but I still don't have the First Aid and Other Guides should I? Or is the TT information misleading?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric, can you tap the sat strength meter in the lower right corner of the screen and post back with the version number the device displays on the right hand sight of the resulting screen - it needs to be version 7 software for the HelpMe guides to work? - Mike
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike the software application is 7.162 (8492/071121) and new maps I downloaded just a day or or so ago are are United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland v720.1803 hope that helps.

The helpme.zip folder unzipped to be "helpme" with another "helpme" within it and then folders for "flags", "medical", & "other" within that. Thinking there maybe just one too many "helpme" folders when unzipped I have tried deleting the 1st try and then copying over only the second embedded "helpme" folder but neither version worked. It could of course be that the download does bot have the correct data in it.

Last edited by EricWB on Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got a custom menu on the device as this will prevent the HelpMe files from being shown, have a look in the SdkRegistry folder using Windows Explorer on the device for a file named tomtom.mnu if you have that remove / rename it then try and see the HelpMe files - Mike
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again Mike I dont have anything like a folder called SdkRegistry on the TT (a 510 device) and checking back upon my backup of the original SD card and several of the many others I have kept there is nothing like it on any of them.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should only be a single helpme folder within the root of the devices memory card (the root directory is the highest level you can see before drilling in to any of the folder structure, if you click the drive letter associated with the TomTom memory card you will be at the root).

Within the helpme folder should be three folders:
Flags, medical and other these must be contained in the corect file path for the device to pick the data up and make it available to you - Mike
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike everything works for me now the problem was caused by me downloading the original helpme.zip file to a folder called My Downloads, then when I extracted from there Windows created its own suggested path for the new folder that was something like My Name\My Documents\My Downloads\Helpme so then a folder called Helpme was created into which the zip file was extracted creating a second Helpme folder within the first one.

I had realised this maybe the problem and tried to copy to TT only from the second embeded Helpme folder, but this probably meant the the paths were corrupted, so today I changed the default extract setting to remove the unwanted folder then copied across to TT and all worked as it should.

I have to say the results look very good and some praise should be given to TT for including such a useful feature, they don't often get the accolades for these things so thanks to Mike for your help and TT for the feature.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: