Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom - No SubCategories
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom - No SubCategories

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrRoger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: TomTom - No SubCategories Reply with quote

Hi,
Having just bought a TomTom XL330S, I was dismayed to find that in Categories, Restaurants, there is no sub-categorization like Greek, Italian, Indian etc. Garmin and Magellan has that feature. This is a disappointment. Also, I tested a 720 at the local Best Buy, and found that the list for restaurants in our area was limited as displayed, but if you know a name and enter it, the system finds it. So why doesn't it display it if it does have the restaurant in its system? Dumb, I think. Poor programming on TomTom's part.

I'll not either buy another TomTom or recommend it to anyone....unless someone could tell me how I could make this work like Garmin... Sad

Roger
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom - No SubCategories Reply with quote

DrRoger wrote:

I'll not either buy another TomTom or recommend it to anyone....unless someone could tell me how I could make this work like Garmin... Sad

Roger

Could be mistaken for a threat Laughing

The only thing to work like a Garmin is, a Garmin.

As all devices are highly customisable, why just not add the POIs that are of interest to you from here?

Out of interest I checked Italian restaurants, almost 2000 are listed. How would that compare with those built in to ANY device? My town seems comprehensively covered.
DrRoger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please tell us: How did you find the Italian restaurants?? Is that 2000 across the USA? I thought you could only find based on current location, on route, or destination. Thx!
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are UK, have I missed something?

The link I gave will allow you to to download a UK POI set to add to your device in ov2 format.

Although I checked the file contents and detail on my PC for ease, once added to your TomTom a search for a POI type (Italian Restaurants) in a specific city will yield results within TomTom (Main Menu 2/Browse Map/Find/Point Of Interest/POI In City/Italian Restaurants).

Bear in mind the site POIs are post code based and so may not be 100% pin point accurate. But the ones I checked are close enough. Then again this is no less accurate than many of the pre-installed POIs on a device.

Edit: Just Googled, it seems I have missed the fact your device has USA mapping? Apologies Embarassed

What I said above still applies, the quest now is for quality POI files. Athough not specific to you, below are samples found with Google.
here
here
and here.
DrRoger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mullet,

Yup...I'm in the good ol' US of A. Where someday everybody will have only one of two jobs....selling each other hamburgers, or taking care of the sickness that results. (or maybe one daytime, one at night, because the CEOs of companies make hundreds of millions of dollars, and employees get peanuts. You gotta see the movie "Supersize me," its fascinating.

Anyhooooo.....I'll explore the downloading of POIs. But the POIs I believe are all in TomTom, just not categorized properly!

Roger
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mullet wrote:
These are UK, have I missed something?

Yep! Hidden in his second sentence is
Quote:
I tested a 720 at the local Best Buy
and I believe Best Buy is US of A.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom have always had a totally cavalier attitude to POIs. They seem to think that because they are supplied by TeleAtlas, it's nothing to do with them how rubbish they are (although that doesn't stop them ADVERTISING their units with "millions of built-in points of interest" type quotes.

I'm at risk of repeating myself here! So I'll just point you to:
a previous "rant" I had on this subject... Twisted Evil

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: