Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT One v2 not keeping charge
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT One v2 not keeping charge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobby_t_16v
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: TT One v2 not keeping charge Reply with quote

Having had my TomTom One v2 for a while now it wont keep its charge, when I unplug the chargers the battery warning comes on immediatly then a few seconds later it switches itself off. Is this a known problem ? Any ideas ?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a pretty regular question. Try sticking "ONE Battery" in the Search function at the top of the page for lots of previous topics (make sure you select "Search for ALL terms" though, or you'll get thousands).

Also, check your Warranty period (its usually buried in one of the files in the "Licences" folder on the device). You may well have two years.
tonygold
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am also having this prob. only seemed to happen after i upgraded the software and maps. prob coincidence.
how difficult / expensive is it to replace the battery as mine now won't hold asny charge even after a long car jiourney with it plugged in for 2 hours.
i have tried the search function but cannot find any info regarding the replacement of a battery. (or am i just being a thicky)!!!
many thanks.
Gmonkey
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying this is the answer but in my case I was concerned about the battery as the charge was not holding and when I replaced my car charger with a friends, it worked a lot better, so I bought one of my own.

Some people have given up on their GPS when the issue was simply the charger or one of the accessories that failed. My XL 330S has thus far been much longer lasting than my previous ONE XL.

Best of luck with your fix!
tonygold
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gmonkey, you may have a point. although my in car charger is working the unit ok it doesn't seem to be charging the battery ok. i brought the unit indoors, charged it on a mains charger then ran a demo route on battery and it lasted for 2.5 hours!!
so obviously the battery seems ok. could the charger provide enough juice to power the battery but not enough to charge it. i have the original tomtom one in the garage so will try that, have been using a different non tomtom one because i prefer the curly flex of this other one. but in the past it has always charged the battery????
any ideas?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonygold wrote:
could the charger provide enough juice to power the battery but not enough to charge it. i have the original tomtom one in the garage so will try that, have been using a different non tomtom one because i prefer the curly flex of this other one.?

It is quite possible the non TomTom charger supplies less current to the device than the one supplied with the unit, the TT car chargers are rated at 2 Amps, is there anything on the device you are using that indicates current capability?

Perhaps it used to work OK prior to an upgrade which has increased the backlight/ volume and therefore burden on the power supply which you have now noticed in way of depleted battery, or the battery could be loosing efficiency and not taking charge in the same way it used to when slightly newer - Mike
tonygold
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi mike, thanks for reply.
come to think of it, this issue arose soon after i updated the app software and purchased new maps.
the car charger i am using says on it: input 12v -24v. output: 5v 400mA.
does this mean anything to you or throw any light on it??
thanks again.
tonygold
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also just wondered if using this lower output car charger (if indeed it is) would it harm the tomtom by giving it less power as i now cannot find my tomtom original??
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the TomTom unit can output 2000mA and your unit only goes to 400mA (the higher the figure the better when the going gets tough) you are only supplying 20% of what the TT unit can acheive Crying or Very sad

It won't damage the TomTom unless the charger lets go, then it could over volt the unit leading to very costly smoke and a dead device, you will be stressing the charger using it for a TomTom device so I would try and find the original charger if I were you - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: