Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Newbie Daft Question - Switch to KMH for Europe ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie Daft Question - Switch to KMH for Europe ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Terry1100
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Newbie Daft Question - Switch to KMH for Europe ? Reply with quote

Here's a stupid question Confused - newbie first post, good morning everybody.

(assuming Postman Pat delivers my new toy today !).

When driving in Europe, do you switch units to KMH in order to show distances etc which match the roadsigns you are seeing - or do you stick with MPH as it calculates in your head better (and matches your speedo) ?

Suplementary question - if I sign up to my "free month" of Garmin camera updates, does it inlcude France ?

Whoops, another suplementary question. Presumably you decide on one source of camera updates and stick to it, rather than installing mulitple files - what happens if you have 2 sets of custom POIs with the same location.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome

Ok....

KpH or MpH is purely down to personal preferences. I usually stick to MpH and use my speedo to do any conversions. You get used to "so many miles equals so much time". Most cars have dual calibration which can be used to convert distances as well.

I have a nuvi 660 - but I didn't activate the GARMIN speed camera support - I simply chose the best! If you have two running then you will get duplicate warnings and a very busy screen. Turn off the GARMIN warnings if you choose the PGPSW database. FWIW the database that comes with the unit will be well out of date. The PGPSW database is less expensive and probably the most accurate available.

You only get one countries worth of speed cameras with GARMIN (someone correct me if I am wrong here). With PGPSW you get Europe - it's a growing database and could represent a good chance to 'win' a lifetime membership by reporting otherwise unreported cameras.

Anyway - enough of the adverts - you get the drift Laughing

If your new toy comes with TMC (Traffic Messaging) then you get lifetime membership for UK and you will get 3 months trial in France. The start is activated the first time you receive a TMC signal from that country. Apparently if you live on the south coast of UK it's possible to activate the French trial!
Terry1100
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil,

Thanks for that reckon I'll ignore the free trial from Garmin then.

I found a free French one (GPS Data Team) which I've already loaded to an SD card (even though the device hasn't arrived yet)

When I get back from my holiday it sounds like I ought to sign up to your option. Very Happy
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry1100 - although you don't say, I guess you're thinking of using the PGPSW files? Thumbs Up

People often use ASH's "Camera Manager" Utility and Garmin POILoader when downloading these. If you do you may find the following thread useful on the kph/mph question

Quote:
Sticky: How to install both UK (mph) and Europe (kph) on Garmin Unit

as it describes how the MPH/KPH business is handled with PGPSW data.

If you're using other files this will probably be irrelevant Rolling Eyes

Or, if you are a complete satnav newbie you may want to leave well alone for the moment, until you get a bit more familiar with the unit On Fire !
Terry1100
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

Yes, that's my plan (I did subseqquently find that thread). I'll use the "simple" file I have now when I go to France on Friday.

When I get back from my holiday, I'll look at Ash's camera manager and all that malarkey - the trouble is, I have a habit of researching a buying decision for ages - but as soon as the device arrives I load up everything in sight so I want to be more thorough here.

Mind you, that does rely on actually having a device. I know the postie is on our little business park as I've seen the van but I have a horrible feeling that today's not my day (doubly annoying as I'm not in the office tomorrow) Sad

One more point David (as you're a Nuvi 360 user) - is the "arrow" to replace the car icon a standard option on the deivce or must it be downloaded ?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: