Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom map download for 1 year ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom map download for 1 year ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdelecole
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Tomtom map download for 1 year ? Reply with quote

Hi there !

I actually have a problem with the fact that I want to re-download version 6.6 of the Maps of western Europe I bought more than a year ago (I do not have them anymore on my PC nor device).
Tomtom support is telling me that I can only download them for 1 year after the order is placed.

I can not find anything about this on their site, and also not in the General sales conditions, nor when trying to place an order (for the new maps for example ...)

Does anybody have any link about this ?

Many Thanks !!
cecilrhode
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the problem you might have there is that your map may have been superseded by several other versions (depending on your unit model)

TomTom obviously don't want to have to keep maps (and NavCore) available indefinitely - think of the problems in terms of storage, documentation, changing the website to facilitate all those downloads options, maybe bandwidth increases, technical support ................ for what? How many people actually want to download something old?

I don't know their terms and conditions, but there must be a practical limit to how much 'old stuff' they can accommodate. There is also a safety consideration - if they know there are flaws in a product, which with navigation might lead to the proverbial 'satnav directed me over a cliff' scenario in the press, they have to do something to eliminate that risk............ hence map upgrades. To make old maps available knowing that they have errors would be risking legal action.

I daresay their position will be that if you want to be sure of having the old map indefinitely, you should keep a copy of it. You have 2 options - to keep the downloaded copy and to keep a backup of the installation. I suppose they could say if you can't do that for 1 map, how do you expect them to do it for all the maps (and NavCore, and manuals) they have produced. I'm not saying they're right, but they would have a point. When you buy the map, it's yours, and your responsibility to keep it safe.

Perhaps you could negotiate a discount on a later map? Many maps are reduced now anyway so the replacement cost may not justify making a fuss.

Probably not what you want to hear, and I imagine in your position I'd be a bit peeved at the prospect of having to buy a replacement rather than get one free, but I don't think their position is too unreasonable. Maybe its should be more explicitly stated at the time of sale, but their defence could very well be that when you download it, it's yours, why should they supply you with a replacement at any time after purchase?
cdelecole
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My position is lear ... I have paid for a downloadable map, without any restriction in the time.

I have a ticket open to them, and after a few discussions (they asked the proof of purchase, etc etc ...), they told they can't to anything.

I have asked them to escalate to upper management, and told them I would go to the cour if necessary, for contradictions in commercial laws for internet and electronic sales (Sorry, I do not have the exact terms in English).

It took them less than minutes to reply and tell I would have an answer soon ...

I keep youposted .

Here was my mail to them :

(In french ...)

"""""""""""""""""

Monsieur,

Je vous remercie pour votre message.
Je vous prie d'escaler ce ticket à votre management direct.

En effet, vos conditions generales de ventes auxquelles la transaction que j'ai effectuée se rapporte ne mentionnent nullement que les cartes ne sont disponibles en telechargement que 1 an apres la commande.

Dans ma situation actuelle, j'ai donc paye pour un téléchargement de produit sur votre site que je ne peux plus effectuer, ce qui n'est pas conforme aux lois sur le commerce.

Je suis donc disposé à déposer plainte et faire part de vos pratiques auprès du SFP finance, de la Direction générale Controle sur le commerce eletronique / internet, ainsi qu'auprès de Tests achats.

Dans l'attende de réponse de votre management, je vous prie d'agréer, Monseur, en les sentiments le meilleurs.

C. Delecole
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On each of the 2 occasions on which I have purchased maps from Tomtom for download it has been made clear that I had 1 year in which to execute the download. Not only that, but if the same map was updated within the year then I could also download the updated version. I fear that you must have missed the warning.
cecilrhode
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have had your downloadable map. you got it, and the fact you lost it is not their fault is it?

personally, I wish you well, but I think you would lose any court battle as they complied with their obligation and you were able to download your map. unless you can produce anything from them that suggests they will allow you to re-download indefinitely, I don't think you have any chance.

if you extend your situation to any piece of software, would it be reasonable for every software publisher to commit to you being able to download indefinitely? If you buy software and lose the CD, would you expect the supplier to give you the software again? if you buy a car and crash it or 'lose' it, would you expect a new one? I think your position is unreasonable but am interested in other opinions?
cecilrhode
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kartracer wrote:
On each of the 2 occasions on which I have purchased maps from Tomtom for download it has been made clear that I had 1 year in which to execute the download. Not only that, but if the same map was updated within the year then I could also download the updated version. I fear that you must have missed the warning.

post crossed. I KNOW i have seen a warning about download validity on some sites, but cannot be sure it was TT

my point is that it would be unreasonable to maintain downloadability for all products indefinitely. unless they actually make a commitment for you to re-download, they could simply adopt the position that once you've downloaded it, it's your fault if you lose it. a court would probably not find anything wrong with that, because if you buy something and you lose it or damage it, you cannot expect the supplier or manufacturer to replace it

of course if you buy something and then cannot download it, that's one thing, but as the product was actually downloaded, and TT facilitated a re-download for one year, I don't think their position is unreasonable, but as I say, I'm interested in what others think about it.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a new map on 21st July 2008. On the confirmation it said in very bold letters

You can download this map until 21st July 2009.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
cdelecole
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I bought a new map on 21st July 2008. On the confirmation it said in very bold letters

So you confirm just before confirming the order, you still do not know that the download is valid for 1 year ...

For me, that is just not correctly informing the customer about what you buy.

I have a Mcafee subscription ... and when I buy the package with license, the download stays forever available in my profile ... and if the download would be retired from my profile, I was then informed and needed to confirm.

In any case, I'll let you know the results.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdelecole wrote:
So you confirm just before confirming the order, you still do not know that the download is valid for 1 year ...
That's absolutely correct, I didn't know. BUT I wanted to buy a download map, it's now on my computer and will stay there for as long as I please, together with backups of the device I've loaded it onto. Them saying I can download it again for a year is a bonus as far as I am concerned.

Just out of interest, v6.60 Western Europe map is still on my PC and now on my latest device with TT Navigator 6, because it was a good map and I no longer have the GO700 I bought it for. But it is virtually two years old (28th November 2006). I also have v606 and v650.

cecilrhode
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notwithstanding the issuing of a notice that the map can be downloaded for a year, or when that notice is made, what are opinions about how long the map should be available to re-download?

I think I made my position clear: when you download it, it's yours and your responsibility to keep it safe. The fact that you can re-download later is an added bonus. If I buy a CD and lose it, the record company doesn't replace it. If TT allow you to store your map on their server for a year, that's really good of them. If you buy a unit with map preloaded, and then damage or delete the map, do TT replace that map? Does anyone think they should?

DennisN wrote:

but Dennis, that's download, not RE-DOWNLOAD. Giving you time to download your purchase is reasonable (12 months is very generous), but to be able to re-download? TT could adopt the attitude that once you've downloaded it, it's yours, so look after it. I don't think that would be unreasonable, so TT appear to be being very customer friendly in this respect. But I am curious about other's thoughts...

With more and more software, music, and soon movies being downloaded, this issue may become more significant
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cecilrhode wrote:
but Dennis, that's download, not RE-DOWNLOAD. Giving you time to download your purchase is reasonable (12 months is very generous), but to be able to re-download?
I actually interpreted this as able to re-download. I don't know how the French version of the phrase would be interpreted.

I'm with you on this - I did say "Them saying I can download it again for a year is a bonus as far as I am concerned." If I were selling something like that, it would be allocated to their account, but once downloaded, the account would be empty. Of course, I have no idea how these internet download things work, so emptying or retaining is a mystery to me.

The outcome of this one will be interesting, but I fear cdelecole will be disappointed.

cdelecole
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem in my case is that the download I made on ly HDD is not longer available, since I had a crash of my hdd ...

Not the problem of tomtom, you would say (And I agree ...), but then I remember the download was available from their web site ... and I can't find it anymore under my profile - without I was informer before placing the order ...

tricky thing ... we'll their answer !
Froggy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Tomtom map download for 1 year ? Reply with quote

Most downloaded software is only available for a limited period of time to (re)download. Very often, you have to pay an additional sum to have the software made available for more than the usual 30 or 60 day period. If you have paid money to download software, it makes sense to have a backup of it on CD/DVD.

It can also be traumatic if you lose all the data on your computer due to a HDD crashing... External drives are very cheap these days - it makes sense to schedule a regular incremental backup so that you do not lose valuable data.

Is your camera manufacturer liable if you lose all your valuable digital photos?
norm2002
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is a difference here. I recently bought 8.05 for my GO. It says I have one year to download it. With most software, you can download it on your computer as an executable so you can reinstall it as much as you want (subject sometimes to activation issues). But as far as I am aware, you can only download direct to the GO via Home so that you cannot reinstall the map after the year has expired. I know you can keep a backup of the folder but that's not the same thing.

I would love to be wrong and be told you can download an executable file. If so, how?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look on the PC where TomTom Home stores Downloads you should find a couple of files (with .toc and .cab file extensions) which corespond to your downloaded map file, these can be used to re-install the map without resorting to a fresh download.

I would always recommend you take a fresh copy of any new map folder once it is working on the device - store the copy (backup) on the PC and also copy it to a CD/ DVD - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: