Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Thinking of buying a 930T - is this a mistake....?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Thinking of buying a 930T - is this a mistake....?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharps4065
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Thinking of buying a 930T - is this a mistake....? Reply with quote

With all of the horror stories in here about the devices switching themselves on, problems after upgrading to 8.010 etc I'm having second thoughts. What is the communal thoughts on buying one? Or should I invest in a £5 road atlas and trust to She Who Must Be Obeyed to get us anywhere????
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go for the 930T every time. For all its faults (and remember, you only see the complainers here, not the completely satisfied users), it's a fine device and will get you to wherever more reliably than She Who Must Be Obeyed (but don't let her see who says so).

The biggest advantage with it is you can load the nice female computer voice and shout like hell if she gets it wrong! And best of all, she doesn't mind when you swear foully at black VW Golfs.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
sharps4065
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
........(but don't let her see who says so).

Chicken..... Very Happy

Quote:
And best of all, she doesn't mind when you swear foully at black VW Golfs.

You've not heard SWMBO let fly at erring drivers.... Embarassed

Anyway, thanks. I think I'll brave the device. Always enjoy a challenge Smile

Cheers
Clive
maca2
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read Horror story's for just about everything I have purchased but, as yet, I have been pleased with what I brought & the funny thing is when I brought a 40" LCD TV which had great online reviews I found it to be absolutely rubbish so got a refund & brought a Samsung plasma instead which is brilliant but had mixed reviews.

I have been using the 730T for a while now, which is almost the same unit, & I love it with it's amazing menu system which can tweak so many settings to your preference if you wish. I have had it switch itself on but I believe it was me pressing the button when putting it in it's case as I am careful now how I put it away & it hasn't happened since.

Buy it you will love it.
nakkaned
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like you I had concerns but not long ago I took the plunge and got a 930T. I've just come back from a 2 week holiday in Europe where I used it extensively and I thought it was brilliant. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

It looks and feels really classy, the time to get a satellite fix is incredibly quick, the display is excellent (I had no problems using it even wearing polarised shades in bright sunshine), I had no problems with the mount and the remote control is great. As others have said the menu system and amount of options you get to fiddle with are impressive too - and useful.

The EPT worked really well in tunnels and I got lane assist displays on most of the motorways I used (I quite liked these features even though I don't think they really help that much). The computer voice was perfectly OK managing to pronounce many of the foreign street names much better than I could (and making me chuckle from time to time with some of its rather bizarre attempts).

I did come across some mapping glitches but I doubt these are a function of the 930T.

All in all I think it's been a really great buy, light years ahead of the PDA version of TT navigator I used to use and so far I've got no regrets at all. Well I do have one. I left the b***** windscreen mount in the hire car. Embarassed
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nakkaned wrote:
I left the b***** windscreen mount in the hire car. Embarassed

A lot of places only seem to sell a new mount complete with another cigarette lighter power adapter as well. But you can get just a mount from HERE
nakkaned
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Andy_P. It would be a waste to have to buy another power adaptor when I don't need one.
jean
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love mine apart from difficulty in seeing the screen in the sun. Shade now ordered so that problem is solved.
Would not change it!
Jon75
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been using my 930T for about a month and never once had any problems with it. Living in Switzerland I go through a fair few tunnels and never had any problems getting the satellite fix straight after I exit, and the EPT is pretty good too.
Tomo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a 730T for a while now, before that at 520 (for 2 weeks, had 4 different units before swapping for the 730), TT1 V2 before that and then started on Navigator 5 on a PDA.

Addmitedly the 520 was a pain in the ass and the 730 played up initially, but with help from this site it works seamlessly now.

It hasnt played up now for well over a month, before it was every other day!!

Steve

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: