Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Change in accuracy with new maps?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Change in accuracy with new maps?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agusta
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:13 am    Post subject: Change in accuracy with new maps? Reply with quote

Is it just me, or is the positioning of the vehicle icon not quite as accurate on the new maps?
I recently downloaded the new maps on to my TT720 via Tomtom Home, and now it appears that the car icon on-screen is slightly out of "whack" compared to the view out of the window. For example, when travelling past a junction or side street I am past the turning just before the map catches up and shows the same thing. Conversely, when sitting at a T junction etc the screen shows my car as being over the other side of the road.
It doesn't seem to affect turn instructions etc, and it is only a few yards, it just seems to be in the map drawing - I seem to remember that before I updated the maps it was pretty much spot-on (although may be my memory is not what it was!).
Anyone else noticed this?
Incidentally, when I upgraded the maps I also installed the Tomtom "quick sat fix" option, so I suppose that could also be a possible factor.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How often does the map screen re-draw, is it once per second or faster?

Also try disabling and custom POI files you have installed to the device, I have seen too many of these mess up the screen positional accuracy and slow down the re-draw speed - Mike
agusta
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, the only poi's I have added are from the PGPSW camera database.
I would guess the redraw is about 1 per second or so (it does seem a bit more jerky than it was). Having tried it again yesterday I am now certain it is lagging behind (particularly noticeable on roundabouts), then, when stationary it seems to catch up and sometimes "overshoot".
Is there a sensible way of back-tracking what I have done so far (loaded new maps from TT Home, switched on the quick GPS fix, loaded PGPSW camera database), to try and single out where the problem might be - or any other suggestions?
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i found if you disable the poi's under browse map it does improve teh mapping
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm becoming more and more convinced that downloading the GPS Quickfix can screw up the display like this.
A few months ago there was a flurry of reports of the car cursor being upto about 200 yards off to one side of the road.
I still get this occasionally, and it is always just after I've allowed a Quickfix download.
It seems to cure itself over an hour or so.
agusta
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am now at the point where it is advising me of the roundabout exit when I am already at it. Therefore I am having to look at the screen far more than I would like so it is becoming an issue for me.
How do I disable poi's (as mentioned above) without disabling camera warnings?
Is it possible to restore my unit back to a previous setting to see if I can regain the accuracy?
alanji
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agusta wrote:
How do I disable poi's (as mentioned above) without disabling camera warnings?

Two ways:
'Change Preferences' 'Show POI on map' - uncheck all except speed cameras

'Browse map' 'Options' 'POI' - uncheck all except speed cameras

According to Mike it is only the custom POI's you need to disable

Go 750 LIVE Europe Map 870.3406
Go 720 W Europe Map 865.3245
One XL W Europe. Map 715.1689
Dell Axim & TT3
Psion 5mx & Routeplanner
agusta
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks. I've done that, although if custom POI's means ones that I have added then I haven't (knowingly) added any apart from the PGPSW speed cameras.
Anyway, I'll try it next time I'm out and see if unchecking the POI's that were checked makes any difference.
Steveee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed this as well:
Quote:
ioning of the vehicle icon not quite as accurate on the new maps.
It was particularly bad when driving through Toulouse, France. I managed to miss the turning to the hotel a few times Embarassed

As I had only bought the GO920 a few weeks before I almost returned it. The only change was the installation of the latest maps and GPS fix. However when driving in the UK it seemed to be accurate.

On further reflection, the accuracy seems to deteriorate in certain areas. I will continue with it Rolling Eyes
GO 920 (retired)
Garmin Oregon 550T
Garmin Drivesmart
Steveee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, at the same time I also noticed the receiver keep on switching to Enhanced Positioning Technology as it lost the satellites. This was quite worrying as I was on a motorway with clear view of the sky Crying or Very sad

As it quickly switched back, with full satellite coverage I was not too concerned.

Later on, driving in Netherlands the GO920 locked up. I suspected a memory problem (I was running blue tooth, connected to the mobile phone, TMC, FM transmitter and the latest maps (the use more memory)) so I removed the North America maps and switched off the FM transmitter. Since then no lock ups Very Happy
GO 920 (retired)
Garmin Oregon 550T
Garmin Drivesmart
kichu1979
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

agusta wrote:
OK, thanks. I've done that, although if custom POI's means ones that I have added then I haven't (knowingly) added any apart from the PGPSW speed cameras.
Anyway, I'll try it next time I'm out and see if unchecking the POI's that were checked makes any difference.

If you have warnings set for your speed camera POIs (or any toher POIs) then there is no need to turn them on in 'show poi on map' section, as they will be shown on map when driving when alarm setting is triggered.

disabling them in 'show poi on map' will fasten screen redraw/refresh rate, but wont affect your driving, because each radar icon along with warning information will show on map according to 'poi warning' settings.
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Go 720 also seems slower than my old IPAQ/TTN setup. I'm often at a junction while the display shows me still approaching. That's without having any POIs enabled to display on the map, which is something I never do.

Sadly whenever you look for a POI, the category you look for is automatically enabled so you always have to go back and deselect them again.
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a trip to aberdeen from newcastle last week, i noticed that my ttgo520 was running v slow. It appeared to not be a case of too many POI`s loaded, but more to do with the RDS-TMC.

It had several issues around edinburgh and then dundee and the background recalculation was slowing the thing down. I can only assume this was due to the length of the route and the time it took for each recalculation.

iPhone 12
kichu1979
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delete quickgpsfix folder from your device, ie. remove "ephem" folder on the device if you look under widnows explorer, and dont do any quickgps updates via home and see if it makes any difference

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: