Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Putting Your Own Voice on TomTom One?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Putting Your Own Voice on TomTom One?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Putting Your Own Voice on TomTom One? Reply with quote

Hi. I'm brand new to the forum and almost new to owning a GPS TomTom One ver.3)! I don't know what I ever did without it.

I found an old thread with instructions on how you could put your own voice on a TomTom. There was a 59-command list, and a DOS tool you had to use. I actually tried that and was able to successfully get my voice onto the unit! But I am confused by a few things.

Is the 59-command list that was posted a few years ago still the right one? I ask because even though my voice seems to work, the stock American voices have commands not on that list, such as "one-half-mile," "one-quarter-mile," etc. Is it possible there is a new list?

Thanks.

Ryan
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best instructions I've seen are from Graeme Lucas HERE (which has the list of 59)

There's another HERE which also refers to 59.

But on my Go720 there is actually a menu option to record your own voice instructions directly on the unit with the built in mic, but the introduction screen to that only says there are only 56 words and phrases to record.
So it looks like the list is now smaller!
RyanT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Best instructions I've seen are from Graeme Lucas HERE (which has the list of 59)
There's another HERE which also refers to 59.
But on my Go720 there is actually a menu option to record your own voice instructions directly on the unit with the built in mic, but the introduction screen to that only says there are only 56 words and phrases to record.
So it looks like the list is now smaller!

Thanks Andy. Yeah, those are the same lists. I'm just wondering if there is an American version. The reason why I say this (as someone who lived in England for many years) is that this list is very Europe-centric. A large percentage of the commands are about how to navigate round-abouts. We don't have a lot of those over here, and most Americans call them "traffic circles." Plus I still don't see any references to "miles," even though my unit says "quarter-mile, half-mile, etc."

Ryan
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, didn't twig that you are actually in America.

In that case, why don't you just use the instructions in one of those guides to extract the individual sound files from one of your standard US voices?
For example:
Quote:

1. Choose a voice template and save it to some new HDD folder (e.g. C:\my_tomtom_voice).
You need to save these 3 voice related files: VIF, CHK and BMP file.
2. Download VIFTOOL
3. Install downloaded Vif Tool to the folder with the voice template.
4. Goto Start - Run - CMD
5. In command window type "CD c:\viftool\"
6. In command window type "viftool.exe split dataXX.chk" to extract all OGG voice files from tomtom CHK file.
RyanT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Ah, didn't twig that you are actually in America.

In that case, why don't you just use the instructions in one of those guides to extract the individual sound files from one of your standard US voices?
For example:
Quote:

1. Choose a voice template and save it to some new HDD folder (e.g. C:\my_tomtom_voice).
You need to save these 3 voice related files: VIF, CHK and BMP file.
2. Download VIFTOOL
3. Install downloaded Vif Tool to the folder with the voice template.
4. Goto Start - Run - CMD
5. In command window type "CD c:\viftool\"
6. In command window type "viftool.exe split dataXX.chk" to extract all OGG voice files from tomtom CHK file.

What a great idea. Sheesh, why didn't I think of that;)?

Thanks!!

Ryan
RyanT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,

Now I'm REALLY confused. I did what you said, and the files that resulted were the same 59, and the audio was the same (except it said "rotary" instead of "roundabout." Anyway, I KNOW I heard all the American voices say "in one quarter mile...." etc. (using 1/2th and 1/8th as well).

I'm betting the VIF tool is only set up to deal with 59 commands, and so only pulls those same ones out when you split a .chk using it. Do you know if there is another tool out there that can pull the commands from the new TomToms? It is clear there are more than are showing up in the VIFTool Split.

Thanks.

Ryan
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know of any other tools I'm afraid...
Thinking out of the box again....
Can you find anyone with a US x20 or x30 model, so you can
1. go through the procedure and at least find what commands a US version now uses, or
2 maybe even create a voice set that can be ported across to your unit.

TomTom's own "create your own Content" guide for voices also lists the normal 59 words and phrases.
I get to it by:
http://create.tomtom.com/manuals/create-your-own-content/

Maybe if you access that (or it's equivalent) from the US you will get a different version with a different list?
gardenshed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about the tomtom explorer that i sent you ages ago Andy? didn't you put it in your list of add ons, I would only use it though if you have made a proper backup first using windows. you could explore the various tomtom files then and see what they contain Wink
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that TT_Explorer was just a file manager (like Windows Explorer) that you could install on the TomTom itself.

Do you think it can do clever things like extracting the individual ogg files out of the compiled dataxx.chk file as well?
RyanT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
I don't know of any other tools I'm afraid...
Thinking out of the box again....
Can you find anyone with a US x20 or x30 model, so you can
1. go through the procedure and at least find what commands a US version now uses, or
2 maybe even create a voice set that can be ported across to your unit.

TomTom's own "create your own Content" guide for voices also lists the normal 59 words and phrases.
I get to it by:
http://create.tomtom.com/manuals/create-your-own-content/

Maybe if you access that (or it's equivalent) from the US you will get a different version with a different list?

Andy,

That site above has the same command list. I have yet to see a list containing the words "eighth," "quarter," "half," one" or "mile."

A conundrum;).

Thanks for all the suggestions though!

I'll keep investigating and post what I find.

Ryan

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: