Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 730T - hangs related to RDS-TMC
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

730T - hangs related to RDS-TMC
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noseboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: 730T - hangs related to RDS-TMC Reply with quote

My (new) 730T has started playing silly already. It's gone through a spate of hanging on navigating, which seems to be related to booting with the RDS-TMC cable connected (or at least the problem stops if I boot it and then put the cable in).

These problems occur on navigating to a favourite or a postcode, and it then hangs before it calculates the route or displays the route calculation screen. As I say, I can avoid this problem by booting without the RDS-TMC cable connected.

It also has (once) reset itself spontaneously when driving, and on a couple of occasions has flashed up some red box about a file access error and being unable to update the map settings.

I am using the standard hardware (so no huge SD card) and updated to all the latest and greatest software. Are these temporary teething problems which others are seeing and I can expect to be fixed at some point, or should I start worrying that I have a duff bit of kit?
chinnorman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Mine does the same Reply with quote

Mine does the exactly same - I first thought is was my wife being dumb but Tomtom refused to exchange her.

Be interested if we are the only 2???
noseboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Mine does the same Reply with quote

chinnorman wrote:
Mine does the exactly same - I first thought is was my wife being dumb but Tomtom refused to exchange her.

Be interested if we are the only 2???

Out of curiosity, are you seeing the whole panoply of symptoms I mentioned above, or are you only seeing the hang on navigate if booted with the TMS-RDC cable connected?
chinnorman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes indeed

The strange red message for no reason, the hanging when it starts (I disconnected power and tmc to make it work), its hung only once or twice-but my favourite is though is when it is recalculating routes and says "recalsulating"

I also really want to play my N73 music through it but it only lets me talk through it.

Mine came from Halfords
JaguarV12e
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 730 had similar symptoms (but I was not using TMC at the time). It was apparently caused by a corrupted configuration file.

Connect the device to your PC and run DOS chkdisk on the TT drive, and you will probably find a corrupted file, which can be deleted after chkdisk has "fixed" it.

Sorry, I can't remember the filename.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try the heavy handed approach to this one which I have done on a previous occasion with my 720:

1/ Make a full back up using Windows Explorer
2/ Run the "Clear Flash" tool set from TomTom
3/ Format the memory using Windows Explorer
4/ Re-install the Backup using Windows Explorer
5/ Change Preferences/ Restore Factory Defaults
6/ Reset all your POI warnings, Favs, Home location and Phone settings

If you need further information on Windows Explorer Backups and the Clear Flash tool have a look at the FAQ page in the Sticky threads towards the top of this forum index.

Now try the device, the above worked for me but as I said this is a little heavy handed, no rational explanation as to why it worked but it got rid of the annoying red background message about unable to store whatever it was (I couldn't even grab a screen shot of this message either, as that to reported the same unable to write to memory message).
It has behaved ever since, for the last few months I have had no noticable problems, although I have never noticed any issue with RDS-TMC connected prior to switching the unit on - Mike
noseboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chinnorman wrote:
Yes indeed

The strange red message for no reason, the hanging when it starts (I disconnected power and tmc to make it work), its hung only once or twice-but my favourite is though is when it is recalculating routes and says "recalsulating"

I also really want to play my N73 music through it but it only lets me talk through it.

Mine came from Halfords

Very interesting - mine is also a Halfords one. Probably just coincidence, but it does make you wonder!

I'll try the chkdsk thing and then if that doesn't work I'll take the 'nuke it from orbit' approach.

Cheers
noseboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick update: I did the chkdsk as suggested and it found a duff file - /gps/gpspro (or gpsnpro or something of that ilk). I let chkdsk fix it, and all seems to be well on a few short trips. We'll see if it sticks!

I am surmising that this gnspro file was something to do with the GPSQuickFix because it seemed to take ages to get a lock on the next use, but all seems well now.

Thanks to all for their suggestions and help, hopefully it'll stay fixed for a while Smile
unseen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha so it affects 730's as well then!!

I've had exactly the same "feature" *sigh* on my 930. Unfortunately chkdsk couldn't fix it in my case, so a reformat through windows and a reload of a backup later and tada working 930.

Mine 'crashed' while TMC was connected and I was using the phone in handsfree, not sure what the file does but it was the same file on mine which corrupted perhaps more something to do with the TMC?

Oh well here's to the next alpha release Very Happy at least microsoft never does something like this.....oh wait how do I explain Vista... Laughing

Rob
noseboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unseen wrote:
Mine 'crashed' while TMC was connected and I was using the phone in handsfree, not sure what the file does but it was the same file on mine which corrupted perhaps more something to do with the TMC?

Interesting, I had a crash under similar circs before my problem started.

chkdsk /f fixed mine, so as long as it's not something that happens on a regular basis then it's not too bad, just bloody annoying when the TomTom was going flaky and rebooting itself on a long trip.
martinstone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 920T started doing exactly the same thing today with TMC connected - every time it tried to calculate/recalculate a route, it would hang then eventually re-boot. Also have been seeing the previously mentioned file access error, first time I noticed this was when I was marking a map correction... but today have seen ti several times.

I've just checked for file errors and the following was reported:

\gns\gnsdata first allocation unit was not valid. The entry will be truncated.

Will be interesting to see what happens now.......
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has happened on my 920T on a few occasions as well, seems to be more prevalent if using RDS-TMC, handsfree and FM transmitter. Everytime it has been the gnsdata file that has been corrupted. Gets to be a pain in the butt after a while!!

Andy
noseboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had it happen again.

* Using handsfree, no sound when talking
* No sound on instructions
* Crash on turning unit off (hung for a long time on the 'burglar' screen until the power button was hit again)

And then I ran into the 'cannot store map settings' error later on

Again, a chkdsk shows corruption in \gns\gnsdata.

Bizarro, but at least there are vaguely reproducible steps now.
DangerousAl
Lifetime Member

Location: London during the week, the countryside at the weekends!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread as it has finally answered the question as to why I was suffering with my 720.

With TMC-RDS connected and the phone enabled I suffered exactly the symptoms described above (unable to calculate route, unit resetting, file access error, loss of sound - not necessarily all in that order!)

I had to chkdsk + f/ the gns file and then stopped using the 720 for my phone since the office installed a parrot system in my car hence I never made the connection as the combination of TMC and phone being the root cause of the problem.

I would love to know what TOMTOM make of all this...
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al, What make and model phone are/ were using with the 720? - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: