Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigon 8110 released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigon 8110 released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
Thanks again for the helpful replies on registering the 8110. I was still going round in circles and so did contact the support people. The reply I got was:

thank you for contacting Navigon.

You can registrate your device the following way:

Connect your device with your computer.

Open the programm navigon fresh, in navigon fresh click the link my navigon device (under corner at the left) and follow the instructions on your screen.

I hadn't got the unit connected when I was trying this before, so will try their suggestion as soon as I get a chance. Others who have been experiencing the problem may find the reason was the same (assuming it works Wink ).

Thanks also to jonandmarkuk re my detour question - I found this to be the 'block' option, which comes up when you touch the screen during navigation. A hell of a lot simpler than VM's tortuous multi-menu searching! Laughing

Laughing Out Loud... I just assumed you had the unit connected. It should work fine then Smile

No problem.. nice to be of use Laughing Out Loud

I'm just wondering when a new map is going to come as one must be due soon?
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me? Shocked Connect the unit? Confused I'm not THAT bright!! Embarassed I rely on a manual for the difficult decisions (and Fresh doesn't seem to have one).

I see from the Sync manual (that has got one) that Contact input is assumed from MS Outlook. As I'm too mean so don't have Office, I guess I'm going to have to work out some compatible alternative (if there is one).

Be interesting to see when the new maps do come out.
EddyDC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got an answer that the site was designed for MIE 7, which I find ridiculous. A cross browser/cross platform site is a must these days.
Anyway, I've seen that it works now under FF3 (without IETab)

jonandmarkuk wrote:
EddyDC wrote:
I would suggest to contact support if you can't register.
Btw I've reporter to navigon that My Navigon doesn't work anymore

Are you using Firefox 3 ? Seems strange that 'my Navigon' stopped working for me when updating to Firefox 3 yet works fine in IE.
I think it's a bug in the final release of Firefox as other websites are acting up with Firefox 3 too Crying or Very sad

So far I want to roll Firebox back to the last beta release as that worked better.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately that is true of a lot of sites. The world is Microsoft driven Laughing Out Loud.
I hate the number of banking sites which only work with IE.

Anyway bit off topic now so I'll stop before I start my anti Microsoft rant.... Laughing Out Loud funny seeing as I work in IT and support MS stuff all the time.
gwentvillan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone got any news on the ability to add custom POIs yet ? I really need to be able to do this.

Thanks

Andrew
chris_ah1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gwentvillan wrote:
anyone got any news on the ability to add custom POIs yet ? I really need to be able to do this.

Thanks

Andrew

not on yet. I send the question to them every so often - no change. Johnandmark will be the first person to find out prolly.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still not heard anything... however on the German forums there is talk of an Internal Beta of POIWarner, but that is unconfirmed and could be translation errors.

The 2110 Max is on version 7.0.9 release so I'd expect the 8110 to be getting another software update soon to match? No idea what maybe in the update.
gwentvillan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've contacted Navigon again - to pay £350+ for a sat nav and not have the ability to use custom POIs is ridiculous. This is a serious drawback in comparison with their competitors.

If they don't sort this out soon I will have to go back to a TomTom or Garmin.

I am apart from this issue very happy with the Navigon unit, so it would be a shame if I have to resort to this :-(

Andrew
kelvy-d
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy i see there is another update for the 8110
downloaded the update not sure what they have done,i wish they would make poi's ok to add 3rd partys poi's thats my only complaint about this cool device Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kelvy-d wrote:
Very Happy i see there is another update for the 8110
downloaded the update not sure what they have done,i wish they would make poi's ok to add 3rd partys poi's thats my only complaint about this cool device Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Just downloaded the update too, reading on the German forums there is no new functions with the update and rumour is it's getting ready for the freshmap update?

Still miss the POI import.... I do hope Navigon get this sorted... I wonder if they are developing their own, instead of using Poi Warner?
gwentvillan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just had another email from Navigon they have no plans to introduce CUSTOM POIs in the next few months so unfortunately it looks like I will be selling my unit. If anyone is interested PM me.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am going to contact Navigating.de to see what is happening. They are the people behind the PoiWarner software so Navigon maybe correct that they are not developing Custom POI's as they have have.
All previous models have used the PoiWarner software.

After digging around on the site I found this URL for contacting them http://www.navigating.de/cms/index.php?id=3302&p=execmsu/support_967/&PHPSESSID=e361a6d257018da78561f73dec22e9d1

I know people on the german forums are also waiting for custom POI so we are not alone in wanting the feature, Navigating.de can't deny that there isn't enough demand to develop a v7 compatible version.

All good things come to those who wait Wink The unit has only been out for less than 2 months so barely time for Navigating.de to start testing software for the v7 devices.
chris_ah1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey John - yournav.com just did a review of the 8110 - do you generally agree with their findings? it is a pity if they are right in finding onboard sound reproduction poor - although i guess the aux-out can fix that.

I think they really like the device other than bluetooth foibles, the speakers and it's tardiness in deciding a recalculation is necessary.....oh yeah, and the lack of custom POIs.

Only the negative speaker comment is really major (and POIs i guess).
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris_ah1 wrote:
Hey John - yournav.com just did a review of the 8110 - do you generally agree with their findings? it is a pity if they are right in finding onboard sound reproduction poor - although i guess the aux-out can fix that.

I think they really like the device other than bluetooth foibles, the speakers and it's tardiness in deciding a recalculation is necessary.....oh yeah, and the lack of custom POIs.

Only the negative speaker comment is really major (and POIs i guess).

Not read the review fully as it's far too early in the morning.
Not sure what the mean about the speaker as I have always found it nice and clear as TTS in it's very nature is never going to sound as natural as as pre-recorded messages (maybe eventually). Can't tell a difference myself but the German forums talk that the latest software update changed the pitch and tone of the voice and it sounds more gruff but that could be just the German voices.

Lack of POI is missed and at the moment Navigon seem to change there mind as the latest responce I got said it's not possible 'at the moment' yet someone else got a reply saying they don't plan to add it. I do think Navigon must see the number of people complaining about this and can't possibly not get it sorted.

Overall they do seem to like the device, be nice if they mentioned if they had updated the software as many BT issues were fixed with software updates.

Some people may see the software updates as a negative thing, but I find it re-assuring that bugs 'are' being fixed and not going ignored like so many other GPS units I have owned in the past.
Navman never fixed issues with any of the units I had (some were major like postcode location being miles in the wrong direction to where you wanted) Rolling Eyes
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read the review in a bit more detail and see that they did update the software Smile

Shame they seemed to overlook reviewing the Voice Recognition Question

If anyone is still undecided about the 8110, Navigon have annouced 2 new models which will sit between the 2110 Max and the 8110 as mid range models. I think they are a 2150 and a 7210 (rumour has it they will have 3D Landmark mapping)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 13 of 24

Jump to: