Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - iPAQ 214 + TT5
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

iPAQ 214 + TT5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beepilot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:47 am    Post subject: iPAQ 214 + TT5 Reply with quote

I have an iPAQ 214 running Widows Mobile 6.0 and have attempted to instal TomTom 5. It appears to instal including the TomTom icon but when run all that happens is the backlight goes out and that's it. Has anyone successfully installed TomTom 5 on any device running Windows Mobile 6.0 and if so how or are they just totally incompatible. Thanks for any help.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try installing it by running the CAB file directly on the device and this should overcome the installer problem, there are a number of posts in the TomTom Navigator forum section that detail how to extract the CAB file when the installer is run on the PC, you simply copy the file to the device and use file explorer on the PDA to launch the CAB file directly in - Mike
beepilot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike thanks for the suggestion to use cab files.

I have looked at the previous posts on using cab files and there seem to be several mentioned in the different posts. I can't work out which ones I need to copy and also where to source them from. I have a TomTom One and I suspect that the SD card for that won't contain these files. I also have the DVD for TomTom One Western Europe with Navigator 5 which is what I have tried to use to instal to the iPAQ 214. I have browsed this DVD and the only TTN file (ttn.cab being suggested in other posts)I can find is a zip file in the PDA folder containing 20+ separate files but I'm not sure this is the file I should be copying.

I would very much appreciate it if you or someone else who has done this installation of TT5 using the Western Europe DVD could give the file names to be copied and which folders contain them. Any help appreciated. Thanks
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will detail how to do this when I get home to the PC as I cannot remember which folder on the PC the CAB file is put in when the installer is run. I keep the CAB file on the PDA set to read only so it can be re-used in the event of a hard reset, so its a while since I last extracted it from the installer!
You would be better off using the TTN 5.21 updated version available from the TomTom web site the version on your disk will be 5.0 IIRC - Mike
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to This Page to download the last version of TomTom Navigator 5 to your PC.

Run the installer on the PC with the PDA connected:

Tich the "I Accept" box and keep pressing the next arrow untill the installer displays the list of software it is going to install (Two items will be listed), at this point leave the installer running on the PC but don't select the next step on the installer applet, instead start Windows Explorer and go to :

C:\Users\ Mike\ AppData\ Local\ Temp\ WZSE0.TMP\ pocketpc

(Note the bit in Blue will be your name or PC login name), you will find the two CAB files in this folder, copy them to the desktop of the PC.

Right click one of the CAB files and select properties, set the access tab to "Read Only" repeat this step for the other CAB file.

Copy both CAB files to a known location on the PDA via Active Sync/ Windows Mobile Device Manager.

Use File Explorer on the PDA to locate the CAB files, tap each one in turn to install the application to the device - Mike
beepilot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike thanks for your considerable effort to resolve this issue for me.

I have followed your instructions (I think) but with no succes. I have downloaded and run the TomTom 2005 Update Setup installer for version PocketPC 5.21 upto the screen where it shows two items Tom Tom Navigator and Tom Tom. At this point I cannot find a folder with the name you give so I'm unable to get to the CAB files. I'm on Windows XP and I have used the File Search facility looking for parts of the folder name so I'm fairly sure it's not there.

If you have any more suggestions I can try then fine otherwise maybe it's time to consider an update of software. Roger
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your e-mail as I have sent the two files over - probably quicker than messing around with an XP based PC (I am running Vista, which could explain the different folder path) - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: