Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Zumo 550, approx 35000 POIs, huge slowdown?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Zumo 550, approx 35000 POIs, huge slowdown?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fraggle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Zumo 550, approx 35000 POIs, huge slowdown? Reply with quote

Is there any way to turn off the display of POIs on the Zumo 550?

Added approx 35000 POIs to my Zumo (i think, can't remember how many I selected to be honest, could be more like 100,000), it is showing all that are nearby, nice and pretty, BUT the screen update speed has slowed down to between 5 to 10 seconds!

Which makes it completely unusable as a GPS, navigation instructions are too late, the maps . (I suppose if I was a slug or a hedgehog it'd be fine! Smile )

I'd hate to see how slow it went with all 350,000 on there.

Anyone got any ideas how I can get the POIs installed and things working properly?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The obvious answer would be not to try to SHOW them all at once, all the time, can you do that on a Garmin?

On TomTom's you have separate settings:
1. for if you want POI categories to be shown all the time on both the navigation display and on the map page display, and
2. for the POI alerts (audio and visual) which (if on) also shows the POI on the normal navigation display as you approach it.

On some of the older, slower models, having too many switched on via method #1 could slow the display down a bit.

The question you have to ask yourself is do you really need to see every POI constantly?
fraggle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be happy if I could have them all loaded and set so they're not visible, but can't find anywhere in the Zumo menus to set that?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just like to say... The top line of your post was off the top of my screen when I replied Embarassed
That's why I was saying you need to turn off the view when that's exactly what you wee asking... Sorry!

No Garmin users here today?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: