Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 7 for Pocket PC?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 7 for Pocket PC?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spangelsaregreat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Why would we "delete" you when you are running an application that is free with a correctly paid for map, as has been said this is a grey area in terms of the application; but if TomTom have accepted your payment and activated the map you purchased then there is nothing wrong at all IMHO.

The Artemis is a decent device although I would check what applications and software can be moved to the storage card as the in built memory isn't too hot - if HTC had launched the Atermis with 192MB of RAM there wouldn't have been a need for the Diamond other than for the VGA screen - Mike

Hi,

Yes it can be move to the SD card to run. I had to do that as I only had about 1mb of storage left. It runs fine, the only issue is I can't get MapShare to work. I think that TT7 needs to be installed in the main storage Program Files/Navigator directory.

I can live with it for a month or so until I upgrade to the MDA C IV.

Regards
Satellite
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have been clever!!!!

TomTom:
Let the "pirates" do the donkey work, we sell the newer maps but without support and we make more money!!!!! Wink
spangelsaregreat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Satellite wrote:

TomTom:
Let the "pirates" do the donkey work, we sell the newer maps but without support and we make more money!!!!! Wink

I must admit that thought did cross my mind. Free beta testers for Tom Tom.
polecatpete
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest, I was wondering how you managed to purchase the maps? On the TT site, it only lists V6 which when you select, it brings up v6.75 maps.

The only way I could see of purchasing the 720 maps would be to select one of the GO products.

Also, did you have to use Home to copy the maps over or were you able to install in another way?

Any light you can shed would be most welcome
Cheers
SRS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

polecatpete wrote:
Out of interest, I was wondering how you managed to purchase the maps? On the TT site, it only lists V6 which when you select, it brings up v6.75 maps.

The only way I could see of purchasing the 720 maps would be to select one of the GO products.

Also, did you have to use Home to copy the maps over or were you able to install in another way?

Any light you can shed would be most welcome
Cheers

Yes, just purchase the map for another product. I did that, manually copied it to my SD-card, got the not-so-official v7 CAB file from the web and installed that. TomTom activated it without any complaints, so I'm happy.

I guess that makes me an unofficial beta tester too. Razz

Bonus is I finally have a map that has the outer ringroad in Leicester updated. Only 14 years late teleatlas! Rolling Eyes
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you downloaded Leicester...right? But what about the rest of the UK, how are you running that on TT7 ? (I've obviously missed something here!)
spangelsaregreat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrequentFlyer wrote:
So, you downloaded Leicester...right? But what about the rest of the UK, how are you running that on TT7 ? (I've obviously missed something here!)

TT7 is available as a download (it was taken from an HTC Touch Diamond).

You can buy a full UK map for the Tom Tom Go and install it on your pocket pc with TT7. Or you can just get a free taster map for your city.

Regards
polecatpete
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much everyone for getting back to me, that answered everything I needed!

Everything seems to work really well. Probably the best and most stable experience with TT and a mobile phone I've ever had!

Thanks again for your help
Satellite
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Satellite wrote:

TomTom:

I feel like a fool now!! Wink There's one born every minute. Wink
I couldn't resist, bought myself a new map and set up my device with TT 7 . So far so good.

Last edited by Satellite on Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am only going to issue this warning ONCE - any discussion on here of software obtained from any location other than the approved source is NOT permitted, the fact you have got it working by purchasing a map fine, but whatever desktop plug-in "version" has no relevance.

Any mention of where this software came from or links to it will result in the thread being removed.

We are not TomTom's internet Police Force, but we have a very strong view on piracy, if TomTom would care to answer questions already raised about the issue of the ROM being "hacked" we might have a clearer understanding.
The fact you have issues with certain controls not working is probably indicative of hacked software, not device signed etc - Mike
Satellite
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:Why would we "delete" you when you are running an application that is free with a correctly paid for map, as has been said this is a grey area in terms of the application; but if TomTom have accepted your payment and activated the map you purchased then there is nothing wrong at all IMHO.

Hi Mike, not trying to be argumentative but you did write this. Surely you knew this was h****d. Didn't realise that saying the colour I used, which is not a desktop plug-in, was important. Also there were no mention of anything else. Anyway edited. Don't wont to be on the wrong side of anyone.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spangelsaregreat wrote:
FrequentFlyer wrote:

You can buy a full UK map for the Tom Tom Go and install it on your pocket pc with TT7. Or you can just get a free taster map for your city.

Regards

Just to add to what Mike has posted, any mention of the 'taster' city map is also taboo. If you have purchased a map, fine, but the taster map offer is part of the Touch Diamond package and its aquisition and use on another product will not be tolerated.
spangelsaregreat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
spangelsaregreat wrote:
FrequentFlyer wrote:

Regards

Just to add to what Mike has posted, any mention of the 'taster' city map is also taboo. If you have purchased a map, fine, but the taster map offer is part of the Touch Diamond package and its aquisition and use on another product will not be tolerated.

OoooKayyy,

To be clear, we can discuss using TT7 and the fact that we have bought maps from TT online.

However, we must not discuss where TT7 came from or anything else associated with the install?

Mods, I would suggest this is all a bit confusing, perhaps an outright ban on TT7 (the use of that is) discussions until it is offically released would be more instanding with your policy, rather than the halfway house you have just now?

Anyhoo, I will keep quiet on this one from now on until it is released officially (though that may be a while Smile )

Regards
mrg2003
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:17 am    Post subject: TT7 PDA Beta Reply with quote

Can we discuss TT7 PDA beta?

Before you ask, it comes direct from tomtom. The license encourages that we should be trying it on as many hardware platforms as possible.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: TT7 PDA Beta Reply with quote

spangelsaregreat wrote:
To be clear, we can discuss using TT7 and the fact that we have bought maps from TT online.

However, we must not discuss where TT7 came from or anything else associated with the install?

Mods, I would suggest this is all a bit confusing, perhaps an outright ban on TT7 (the use of that is) discussions until it is offically released would be more instanding with your policy, rather than the halfway house you have just now?

My own thoughts were for an outright ban (as per my PM to you when I moved your post about it), as 'acquisition' of the cabfile is a grey area at best in my opinion. The fact that this software then allows the download of a 'sample' map, to which only Touch Diamond users are entitled, swings it, again in my opinion.

mrg2003 wrote:
Can we discuss TT7 PDA beta?

Before you ask, it comes direct from tomtom. The license encourages that we should be trying it on as many hardware platforms as possible.

Did you have to sign an NDA to receive it? That is the general case with BETA software from TomTom. If the answer to this question is "Yes" then the answer to yours is "No".

For instance, even people who signed up to the latest IQ Routes public beta aren't allowed to divulge anything about it. For the moment I would ask that you hold off making any such postings.

What I will do is lock this post for now, and move any new topics on the subject out of view. Then when we have a definitive answer on the subject, or the Team has come to an agreement, the situation will be reviewed.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: