Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navcore 8 Upgrade for Older Devices Released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navcore 8 Upgrade for Older Devices Released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 32, 33, 34  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Complete bull....

Well obviously you know better as i do.
I didn't say it could not be done i have done the exact same as you.
I am merely letting people know what TomTom support sent in their mail.
The reason for the mail was that i had the ver720 maps for my 910, when i got the 720 somehow home offered the western &central Europe map for download so i got an SD card and loaded them on and they worked fine. I asked TomTom why this should happen before i did it and the reply is what i posted.
Being very dubious of anything they say i tried it and it works fine.
Personally i could not give a monkeys about what TomTom say or anybody here about useing ver8 maps etc on machines that "supposedly are not supported, you have done it, i have done it, lots of others have done it. If they are available and are paid for correctlyand if they work then thats our gain.
Some of the things i have been able to do with my various systems and maps makes a mockery of this so called device specific thing that is purported. However this only seems to be the case for MY devices and not a friends 720. I had no intentions of trying to mget him the Ver8 maps of mine for free i was merely seeing how far the security measures went. In this case they worked.

And no i do not think they meant the ver 8 maps of W&CE as they knew exactly what maps i was talking about.
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember then if it all goes "pear-shaped" and your TT crashes & needs professional (eg return to TT) you may find that you get charged for it or they won't have anything to do with it at all.

And if it does don't come back here whinging & whining about it and how do I fix it.

Because all I'll do is laugh and say "TOLD YOU SO!" Twisted Evil

By waiting for the official release, I know that I won't get any hassle or flak from TT.
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whingeing and whining ? what for? If you bother to read stickys and know what you are doing you can always turn to your many back ups, you do have back ups i assume?
Unless of course they have an imploder built in that activates after a few days, then as you suggest i would be stuffed eh.
Then again i suppose i could always go back to my old 910.
See, i knew there was a reason why Dennis has fifty TomTom's.
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
I don't see what the issue is? At worst (so long as you backup first) you'd have wasted the money spent on the v8 map, or you may have a map you can't use until TomTom allow it.

But as it is now (unless TomTom change things to prevent this) it works. Clearly this suggests that TomTom are simply holding back on making this official so as not to damage x30 sales.

Ah Darren the voice of reason.
At the end of the day Wazza, people will do as they wish. I agree with what you say about coming back here and asking you for help... i won't you can be assured of that.

I really do laugh with this issue, as there are hundreds here who have loaded apps on their devices that TomTom do not support, altimeters etc, we have all seen them. Does this mean the same rules apply? Personally i don't load anything other than the PGPSW camera database, what would happen then if that was on there if i needed a repair?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LesP2008 wrote:
Complete bull....

Well obviously you know better as i do.
I didn't say it could not be done i have done the exact same as you.

Not aimed at you, only at "support"....

On the other matter, don't forget there ARE going to be people who come here who don't know what they're doing and don't take backups before trying to download stuff, and they WILL jump up and down shouting "you said I could do this and now I've wasted the price of a map. What are you going to do about it?". We are only trying to cover our backs!
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Worries Andy i agree with what you say there.
I have just read through this whole thread and without starting a war i find the issues are coming from people who haven't tried it, so really what is THEIR issue?
And that's not aimed at you either. Wink
I can see the issues with TomTom perhaps not being happy but i don't think they would doctor it by clandestine methods, hell they don't need to do that they only have to give it to their software developers. Laughing Laughing
BackSeat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One difference I have noticed with 8.010 (on a 520) is that I now get a voice saying something like, "Continue on the A40 for the next 28 miles". This message is useless as it doesn't tell me anything I need to know, but it does interrupt any music playing from the TomTom. The message seems to play at random intervals, typically every 3-4 miles or so, but yesterday I had it three times in less than a mile.

What's really annoying is that I've come to rely on the TT only "speaking" when it has something important to say: a warning to turn right in 200 yards followed by the command to "turn right". Now I have to get used to the idea of ignoring some of the messages.

I've spoken to support, and they confirm that this cannot be turned off; they suggested turning the voice off completely if I find these message annoying.

Anyone else irritated by them?

BS
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you are getting these annoying messages from the device have you per chance got the traffic subscription service active or an RDS-TMC device connected? - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was getting that sort of message ONCE at the beginning of a long straight section of a journey, but not several times.

I've gone back to a non-TTS voice now though, so don't get it at all.
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wazza_G wrote:
Just remember then if it all goes "pear-shaped" and your TT crashes & needs professional (eg return to TT) you may find that you get charged for it or they won't have anything to do with it at all.

And if it does don't come back here whinging & whining about it and how do I fix it.

Because all I'll do is laugh and say "TOLD YOU SO!" Twisted Evil

By waiting for the official release, I know that I won't get any hassle or flak from TT.

Wazza you do get hot under the collar about many things !!! we are all adults in the forum and I am sure we can and will decided to do what we want regarding the V8 map downloads .
To be honest I would not !! but in about 6-8 weeks I guess it will be made available to the X20 range .

I do not remember the same outcry when the navcore upgrade was removed and people were finding ways to download it
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
in about 6-8 weeks I guess it will be made available to the X20 range.

and it will be version 8.10 or something similar. More up-to-date & maybe incorporating everyone's mapshare corrections.
gtdave
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest, is the IQ routing information feature a static thing in the maps, or continually updating via Home?
BG
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
BG wrote:
Thanks guys. Thumbs Up

It's also giving me the option to enable the IQ function, will be interesting to see how that pans out.

without a v8 map it won't pan out Wink

just as well I have the version 8 map loaded then Very Happy
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gtdave wrote:
Out of interest, is the IQ routing information feature a static thing in the maps, or continually updating via Home?

Good point Dave and to be honest i don't know.
It could be used in that way when you think about the data collected asking us about our route info and would we mind if they collected it from us. I take it that this could possibly be the info they compile the IQ routes with?
Trigger
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do's anyone know if this update will be avilable for the 700 series as I have one works well so why change unless you have to

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 26 of 34

Jump to: