Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navcore 8 Upgrade for Older Devices Released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navcore 8 Upgrade for Older Devices Released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 32, 33, 34  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drudeboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Regarding the new compass Reply with quote

Had a long trip yesterday, Leeds to Bournemouth and back. Leaving Bournemouth I headed in an easterly direction towards the M3.

This is what the new compass looked like

<

Now in my books that is west. Today I was heading out of Middlesborough eastward towards Lazenby, again

<

What the...

Oh it gets north and south right so not all bad..... Rolling Eyes
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The compass is pointing North at all times if you have Navcore 8.x installed. Visualize laying your unit flat and the compass will point North, just like on a printed map.
Drudeboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
The compass is pointing North at all times if you have Navcore 8.x installed. Visualize laying your unit flat and the compass will point North, just like on a printed map.

no mine rotates and points the heading, ie if i head south it points down, if i head north it points up, if i head east it points left (west) and visaversa.

The East and West are back to front!!

(i'm now picturing hundrends of 8.x owners running aroung the street with their tomtom in hand ha ha ha)

Last edited by Drudeboy on Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drudeboy wrote:
no mine rotates and points the heading, ie if i head south it points down, if i head north it points up, if i head east it points left (west) and visaversa.

So you're not using v8 then!
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Well, if you had an older version on a card I'd have thought it would be using that as the TT will boot first from the SD slot if there is a card with software present.

A?

You mean to say that my 720 actually boots from the SD card & not the internal memory! Shocked

I'm off to tinker..... Wish me luck I maybe gone sometime!
Drudeboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Drudeboy wrote:

So you're not using v8 then!

Yes I am! I'm not kidding here, the small diddy new compass with no options in the just released (again) v8 I installed last week on my 520.
The V shaped pointer shout the heading by rotating, except east and west are reversed. I've been a field PC engineer for 15 years so I reckon I'm up to speed on these techie things
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drudeboy wrote:
Yes I am! I'm not kidding here, the small diddy new compass with no options in the just released (again) v8 I installed last week on my 520.
The V shaped pointer shout the heading by rotating, except east and west are reversed. I've been a field PC engineer for 15 years so I reckon I'm up to speed on these techie things

No, it's pointing north. If you are going north, north is in front of you, going south, it's behind you. When going EAST, north is over your left shoulder (and vice versa).

Even though I've had the compass pointing north on v7, it was nice to have your heading inside it as well. Bring back the old days. Crying or Very sad
Brodit ProClip mount
Drudeboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GerryC wrote:
Drudeboy wrote:

No, it's pointing north. If you are going north, north is in front of you, going south, it's behind you. When going EAST, north is over your left shoulder (and vice versa).

Even though I've had the compass pointing north on v7, it was nice to have your heading inside it as well. Bring back the old days. Crying or Very sad

well thats pointless (excuse the pun) Rolling Eyes
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoo Hoo......

After some tinkering with the applications (deleting them!) I've somehow managed to get it to update to 8.010! Very Happy

Now if someone tells me that this has now been superceded I will go seriously NUTS! Gun Shoot Out Taunt
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikealder wrote
Quote:
I think I posted this earlier in the thread but for the record the old compass has gone and is replaced by the small pointer that always shows North

I was asking John877 if the latest update had restored the original compass because he said
Quote:
I think it has now replaced the compass which so many people had missed
It seems obvious that it hasn't.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't post on the forum if I haven't tried something first Wink - it ain't there period - Mike
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now listen, I’m a country boy born and bred and I have always known that Moss grows on trees on the side facing North. So, when your little Tomtom compass fails to live up to your expectations, stop the car and run over to the nearest tree and look at the bark.

Your friends will look at you in an entirely new light at your new found navigation skill.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Mike, I think we're still at cross purposes. You were refering to your post from before the update became available from TT again today. I was asking if the compass was different in today's update.

I have since discovered on another forum that it is the exact same build that was re-released today so absolutely nothing has changed.

Sorry for going Off Topic Mike, but I can't find the thread now where you asked me if my Nokia 6300 was working with the Go9720 & v8.010. I've now had been able to try it properly and everything works perfectly except for reading incoming texts.
Drudeboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The routing on 8.x compared to the last 7.x seems changed using the same map revision. Maybe some people could test this. When I was at the east end of the M62 (eg Hull) and routed back home, to east Leeds, near the Crossgates area (use Crossgates Station as a test) v7 always tried to take me all the way westbound to the M1 then north to J46, but 8.x routes the way I and anybody else would heading north on A1(M) then into Leeds east on the A63. Also when heading from Leeds to Kent for example, v7 would take the M1 to the M25 then round to the Dartford crossing, whereas I always take A1 - M11 to the M25 to head for Dartford, now v8.x chooses this route first choice, again with same map revision. An improvement I'd say.
ftld
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drudeboy wrote:
The routing on 8.x compared to the last 7.x seems changed using the same map revision. Maybe some people could test this.

I've found the same thing here on Long Island, New York. When heading from home towards NYC, 7.x would try and take me along Hempstead Turnpike (a heavily congested 30MPH road) for five miles before getting onto the highway, instead of taking a slightly longer overall route which puts me on the highway less than a mile from home via a fairly quiet local road.

8.x takes me via this faster route.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 20 of 34

Jump to: