Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Looket G8 sat nav
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Looket G8 sat nav

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marcostheblack
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Looket G8 sat nav Reply with quote

Does anyone have any ifo in this sat nav? It's on sale in misco for just under £60. Can it run tomtom or miomaps?
Atasas
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looket G8 Review:
brand newly on the market G8 priced at under £60 at misco turns out to be a real deal!
As I did not find a decent review, before I bought it, have been a bit hesitant... got a surprise! I have had been testing SatNav's as TomTom 1; Lg; Garmin; RAC; Sony and have found enourmous differences in they funcionality. Whilst some where good at some areas, others where exeding in othrs, some whre complete failure- not this time!
From the beggining, As I've opened the box two dissapointments- no home charger or PC connectivity cable, had to find the spare Hitachi one (5V)- worked a treat! Turned on, menu as simple as it it should be, verry funcional and set up did take no longer than two minutes. For a testing of it straight away to the meeting and Entering the Post code some clever- ( not to my taste)feature as Zip Code search gving a letter (Or Two) and Digit (or two) once entered beggining of a post code it asked for a First letters of the Name of destination. Worked out just fine in 6 locations visited today, but would be an issue to ie courrier with incorrect names or Post Codes.
The surprise that I've discovered is in its heart (Samsung 400mhz CPU)- Very fast indeed and really did keep up with roundabouts and my traveling speed.
Build qality I can see to be of a decent manufacturing, components and materials, the screen do'nt seem to tough enough for long time abuse with sharp nails or fatty fingers, but time will tell.
On a summary- a bargain for normal user! not for professional though (I would recomend TomTom for those at Triple the price) and despite slacking it in areas spoted as much as I can, there is no better value for money SatNav today!
Atasas
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

updated soft is much better (post code search is much more advanced since allowed to enter (instead of 3'rd digit after two letters) a consiquent letter of post code!) ... hope it explains...
Languages updated (instaed of female squicking decent male voice)
Some additional settings are no more (nothing of importance)
Basicly my rating now 8/10! (very very good!)

URL removed by PaulB2005
ianrm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea what mapping is used (is it Navteq?) - I live in Northern Ireland and Navteq seems to be the only one with 100% coverage

if you could have a quick look I'd be grateful

thanks

ianrm
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Looket G8 sat nav Reply with quote

marcostheblack wrote:
Does anyone have any ifo in this sat nav? It's on sale in misco for just under £60. Can it run tomtom or miomaps?

looket £60 + tomtom nav £60 = £120

tomtom one = £99

surely you'd be better off buying a dedicated tomtom pnd?

MaFt

ps - we don't condone piracy here
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ianrm wrote:
I live in Northern Ireland and Navteq seems to be the only one with 100% coverage

Care to post a location you want the Northern Ireland map checking for coverage using a TA map and one of the site members will post up a screen shot (or I will), it is now considerably better in term of coverage than it used to be for that area - Mike
Mr_T
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
How are you getting on with your Looket G8?
Is it as feature rich as the specs are saying?
Does it really work well, is it reliable?
Have you found maps of Europe for it yet?
Is it Teleatlas or Navteq maps?

Much obliged for your answers thoughts and views.
krayZpaving
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just got the Looket G8. Haven't test-run it yet, but it uses Sygic Drive running on Windows CE 5. The maps are McGuider, so they're Teleatlas based.

They've their own POI format, .upi files, but there's a translator that will rip POIs in .ov2 (TomTom binary) format to/from .upi. POIedit will give you files in .ov2 format.
SEJ016
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Looket G8 - Sygic/Teleatlas - McGuider - Speedcams Reply with quote

I just bought the LooketG8 from Misco for under £50. As suggested it uses Sygic/Teleatlas mapping and McGuider will work with it straight from the box.

SEJ
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't bragg about using Torrent feeds on here, we have a very strict policy against software piracy - it is theft and not welcome, I removed part of the previous post for that very reason - Mike
Obeletu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Looket G8 - Sygic/Teleatlas - McGuider - Speedcams Reply with quote

SEJ016 wrote:
I just bought the LooketG8 from Misco for under £50. As suggested it uses Sygic/Teleatlas mapping and McGuider will work with it straight from the box.

SEJ
Can anyone please tell me if the mcguider 2009 works with the looket G8? Also if there are any recommended maps that can work with the same device. Thanks
Obeletu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Looket G8 - Sygic/Teleatlas - McGuider - Speedcams Reply with quote

SEJ016 wrote:

SEJ
Can you please tell me if the mcguider 2009 works with the looket G8? Also if there are any recommended maps that can work with the same device. Thanks
peterweston1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Looket G8 - Sygic/Teleatlas - McGuider - Speedcams Reply with quote

Obeletu wrote:
SEJ016 wrote:

SEJ
Can you please tell me if the mcguider 2009 works with the looket G8? Also if there are any recommended maps that can work with the same device. Thanks

Hi
Did you ever get an answer to your query? I am trying to update the maps on my G8, so would be interested to see what you found out.
Atasas
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whole thread resurrection!?
anybody got additional maps running or other Apps in full?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: