Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which PDA to get to hook up to my eTrex Vista.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which PDA to get to hook up to my eTrex Vista.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
revhigh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 9:48 pm    Post subject: Which PDA to get to hook up to my eTrex Vista. Reply with quote

I like to use my vista for hiking and bike rides due to its small size but it's no good for street routing.

Simply put... What PDA, street mapping software, and how much minimum flash memory do I need to have a full routing GPS for my car in the US using the Vista for a receiver? Also, I would like to have the option later on to add a GPS receiver to the PDA (the plug in type, not the handheld type) and still have a compact flash port.

Thanks for the info.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The requirement for an unused CompactFlash slot is especially tricky, as the only way I know of to get two CompactFlash ports (most 'card' based GPSes are CompactFlash) is to use an iPAQ Expansion Pack, which only work with 3000 and 5000 series iPAQs. All the 3000 series machines are now discontinued, and it now looks like the remaining 5000 series machines will be superseded in two or three months time by machines that don't support Expansion Packs (sometimes referred to as "sleeves").

One way to meet your requirement would be to buy an SDIO GPS, and a Pocket PC that has both SDIO and CompactFlash slots - but you'd then need the CompactFlash slot for memory for your maps.

Another way is to forget about GPS cards entirely, buy a Bluetooth capable Pocket PC with the slots you want, with the future intention of buying a Bluetooth GPS.

I'll leave the US parts of your question to someone with US experience.

David
revhigh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I went and purchased a new Dell X30 624MHz with the Pharos Pocket GPS system/receiver. The Pharos system plugs into the PDA port and also charges the PDA through the 12v accessory plug in the car. With that system, I can store maps in the SD memory card slot. The vista will be used strictly for handheld use.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: