Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How do SPECs work?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How do SPECs work?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you reported these mobile sites on the submission page? If they get verified through the process here you may be entitled to lifetime subscription! Smile

iPhone 12
mc_conor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just reported them all there, how do they become verified? I only have pictures for the ones on one road? How do you send the pictures to them?

Hopefully my input will save at least one person from getting done by the Censored

I commend that they were doing it in a hi- visibility camera van, so if you get caught speeding you sort of deserve it you can see them from miles away.

But both roads are as large as a motorway, even the 30 zone one, on a sunny day with high visibility, so you are obviously going to speed more as it is safer.

Why don't they Censored and go outside somwhere or someone actually dangerous, like outside a school.

Or go catch the thousands of unlicenced immingrants, drunks, uninsured, people with no lane discipline, old people who are much more of a threat than marginally exceeding a trivial speed limit?

Because they want money for a chippy the Censored
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your comments are likely to be shared amongst some fellow forum members here, but I would advise you to be a bit less graphic in your posts. You may get a little word in your ear from the mods as this is still a public forum.

The process for verification is quite simple. You report a location of a mobile/fixed unit. The locations of the un-verified locations get sent to a select few, im one of them Smile, and we either, on our day to day business or go out of our way, to verify the locations. If it is suitable (for a mobile location obviously) or it is actually there, for both fixed and mobiles, it will be verified! The mobiles get put into another set of cameras where they sit until some more sightings of it come in, and then it goes into the database.

The fixed cameras are by far the easier to verify, they are either there or they are not! They sometimes make it into the main DB without even being verified if enough reports come in, but thats MaFt`s job. He decides a lot of the speed camera stuff!

The exact rules for free lifetime subscription are on this site, but are basically, as long as you are the first to report a new fixed camera, a new mobile location, OR a change to a camera`s location, heading, speed etc. You also have to be a paid up member at the time.

Hope this helps, and welcome to the club!

iPhone 12
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please refrain from using foul language on the forum even if it is slightly modified to get around the auto censorship, this is a forum read by minors as well as adults and as such we do not permit such behaviour.

If you have a photograph of the location being used you can always e-mail it, verification is performed by a trusted group of site members who will take time out of their own day to visit submitted locations once these are confirmed the location will be added to the main database, further submissions are required from other forum members in the case of mobile locations as it is very rare to actually visit a site and see the van in operation - Mike
mc_conor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if that's how it works may i thank the verifiers for going out of their way to help us, as you have saved my licence plety of times.

Hopefully my input will help someone else. So is there anyway to get in touch with my local verifier to email him pictures of the site(s).

Also on other mobile sites i have seen would you recommend reconfirming them? Or is it not worth it?

I have been a paid subscriber since boxing day of last year.
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your comments. We do also need reports of whenever you see a mobile unit in action. These are submitted on the main camera page. This allows us to track which sites are being used regularly.

You dont have a 'local verifier' as such. We all cover the whole UK, but some of us are limited to certain areas. Some of us, like DennisN get all over the country and cover a lot of ground. Myself, i cover regularly Newcastle upon Tyne and North of it. The best way to help is to make sure the 'comments' section clearly describes what and where you saw it. This is usually what decides it because some of the submissions are not correctly located, but a good comment like 'outside the bay horse pub' leave nothing to the imagination, and the verifier can easily judge the site.

iPhone 12
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mc_conor wrote:

Why don't they go catch old people who are much more of a threat than marginally exceeding a trivial speed limit?

Did I hear you say "marginally"? When braking hastily endangered your head windscreen-wise?

You can read this if you're really interested in how verification comes about.

One of our verifiers probably comes into the category you mention above, so it might be best to be careful which verifier you choose to check your camera.

Attach pictures to email to camerasATpocketgpsworld.com (with @ replacing AT) repeating the location you reported.

Finally, try to think of our camera database as an aid to staying inside the speed limits - we certainly do not provide it to help you break the speed limit between cameras.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Endeavour
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As with all front facing cameras, if you can ensure you're close enough behind a friendly transit van, truck or similar it will often ensure that the camera cannot see your license plate. The cameras are generally high up and pointed down at a relatively shallow angle, so if you've got a car with a low down license plate (think Alfa's etc) then all the better.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i read on another forum t'other day that some new specs had been put up actually had a rear-facing one as well....

tough luck motorcyclists :D

MaFt
mc_conor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was overtaking? Sure i'll overtake within the speed limit exposing myself, and soon to be oncoming, to increased danger.

Of course you will tell me that i shouldn't be overtaking at all unless i can be within the speed limit.

[I meant to say old women, now this may be ageist and sexist but it's true, you show me an old woman who knows what she is doing on the roads.]
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mc_conor wrote:
[I meant to say old women, now this may be ageist and sexist but it's true, you show me an old woman who knows what she is doing on the roads.]

Perhaps you could define "old" for us please? It might be that one of our Moderators/Verifiers might fall into the category so that we can be horrid to you? But she's not as old as the ancient man Verifier I mentioned previously.
mc_conor wrote:
Of course you will tell me that i shouldn't be overtaking at all unless i can be within the speed limit.
RIGHT IN ONE!! Are you some sort of clairvoyant? Do you reveal Lottery numbers? Do you drive a black VW? Shocked

GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Are you some sort of clairvoyant? Do you reveal Lottery numbers? Do you drive a black VW? Shocked

One thing's for sure - he's an 'R' driver, who should be driving at a reduced speed limit.

If he knows what you're thinking, then you'd think he'd be smart enough to realise what his maximum speed ought to be.

Perhaps the ANPR system for SPECS does work by number plate/vehicle/driver status recognition - they do, after all, recognise the difference between an HGV and a car, so perhaps they do have a record of 'R' drivers too.

Without a similar system of 'R' drivers in mainland UK, the use of SPECS cameras in Northern Ireland might use different criteria, in which case, it's gonna be a waiting game to see whether he keeps his newly acquired driving license.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mc_conor wrote:

Did someone call me? Confused

I shall treat that arrogant and ignorant remark with the contempt it deserves, and shan't waste my time and effort responding to it.

However, I wonder if your earlier post
Quote:
Can it tell if i am only supposed to go 45mph? Say doing under the speed limit but over 45, about 55 in a 60?

Due to the "R" plate system only new drivers in northern Ireland can do 45 for 1 year after their test.

indicates that you fall into this category? If so, I suggest you consider the reason for new drivers being restricted to 45mph. It's because they don't have the experience and judgement required to drive faster safely. Why do you think insurance premiums are so high for young and inexperienced drivers? It's because they are involved in and cause far more accidents than older and more experienced drivers.

I'm just thankful that you're in Northern Ireland, so I won't have the misfortune of being on the same roads as you.
Samsung Galaxy S21
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet you he drives a black VW AND it has a big fat brrrm, brrrm exhaust pipe AND he wears a baseball cap back to front AND plays really thumpy, thumpy music Rolling Eyes

That may be sexist and ageist and musicist, but it's true. Cool You show me a new inexperienced driver with a black VW, with silly brrrm, brrrm exhaust pipe and a baseball cap on back to front and playing thumpy, thumpy music and I'll show you somebody who is going to cut you up and who is probably going to get a free ride in an ambulance - sadly, he'll also be getting somebody else a free ambulance ride too.

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we should get the opinion of the lorry driver he pulled back in front of, just before he slammed on the anchors!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: