Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - how do I POI
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

how do I POI
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nicky321
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
Nicky321 wrote:
3 catergories I think Laughing Out Loud. Attractions, Food & Drink and Recreation.

Did you download them as separate files per sub-category or combined? If separate how many of the sub-categories did you select? Food & drink alone has 80 sub-categories.

Quote:
managed to get them onto gps, must be doing it wrong though, cos i browse to favourites, recreation and it just gives me a letter and number, when i click on it it says its not on the map!

As I said, I know nothing about your set-up and it may well handle POIs differently, but they aren't usually shown under Favourites. Confused

Thanks Anita for helping.

Not sure now. Ive been at it that long my brain is cooked!

Ive just download again and downloaded as separate files per sub catergory.

chose Attractions - Zoos, Theme Parks
Food & Drink - MacDonalds, KFC, Burger King and Fish & Chips

Now I have a Zip file on my desktop, I extract files to desktop? (which I did)

Now on desktop I have a folder containing a file named poi

is this correct so far?
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must stress I know absolutely nothing about your device, but if you follow the link Oldboy gave earlier it is exactly the same for the POIs you want as for the speed cameras, except for the names of the files. And you must skip the bit about the sound files.

After extracting the files to your desktop I would expect you to have a folder called "POIs" containing two files for each POI category - a .bmp file and a .csv file.

Is that what you have?
Samsung Galaxy S21
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I should have mentioned this earlier - if you haven't already done so back up your device to your pc before doing anything else!

Looking at the link mentioned it seems that POIs are stored in Favourites on your device! Embarassed

I think the only bits from the instructions in that link that are relevant to you are:

1. Download the POIs.

2. Unzip all files - you should have a .bmp and a .csv file for each category.

3. Start ActiveSync, then use Explorer to copy the .bmp files to the \Destinatorapps\Destinator\Common\Favorites Folder on your device.

4. Use Destinator Console to convert and install the .csv files onto your device.

I'm not sure if you need the next step for POIs or if it’s just to display speed camera warnings. I would try without first and, if you can't see the icons on the map, follow step 5:

5. Start Navigator, then go to Favorites, select each of the categories and enable each one by clicking the eye on.

Hope this helps. If not I'm afraid you'll have to hope for a Destinator expert to come along!
Samsung Galaxy S21
Nicky321
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:

I think the only bits from the instructions in that link that are relevant to you are:

1. Download the POIs.

2. Unzip all files - you should have a .bmp and a .csv file for each category.

3. Start ActiveSync, then use Explorer to copy the .bmp files to the \Destinatorapps\Destinator\Common\Favorites Folder on your device.

4. Use Destinator Console to convert and install the .csv files onto your device.

This is what i have when I have unzipped the folder.

I can get as far as point 4, but when i use Destinator console and browse C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Desktop\new poi\Attraction.csv then click convert I get the following message

123 records loaded
File Created
Count of bad records 51

Last edited by Nicky321 on Thu May 29, 2008 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to have unzipped OK so, sorry, I don't know where you can go from here.

I can only suggest you try Destinator Customer Support here.

Good luck!
Samsung Galaxy S21
Nicky321
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im off to bed now, given it up for the day (day 3). what files should i have? csv? dat? bmp? all three? and where does each file go? Ive tried putting them in favourites but even though the catergories appear under favourites when i click on a category i just get a column of numbers eg
etc

instead of distance, name, location etc

hope someone can throw some light on this, before i throw this.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicky321 wrote:
what files should i have? csv? dat? bmp? all three? and where does each file go?

After unzipping the downloaded POI file you should have a .bmp and a .csv file for each category ie, for the categories you've downloaded, 3 of each, which you have in the above screen shot.

It would help if you set Explorer to show file extensions, then you could clearly see what type of files you have:

In My Computer or Windows Explorer:
Go to the 'Tools' Menu,
Select 'Folder Options'
Select the 'View' tab
Scroll down the list and untick "Hide extensions for known file types".

Quote:
where does each file go?

I know nothing about your device, but according to the instructions in the link Oldboy gave you, the .bmp files should go into the \Destinatorapps\Destinator\Common\Favorites Folder on your device. You do this by starting ActiveSync, and using Explorer to copy the .bmp files across to your device. You then use the Destinator Console to convert and install the .csv files onto your device.

Your system isn't one of the more widely used ones, and you may have to wait some time for someone familiar with it to spot your post and try to help you.

Therefore, if the above instructions don't work for you, I suggest you seek advice from Destinator Customer Support. From their website:

Quote:
Our hotline can be reached Monday-Friday from 9am to 6 pm (CET) under +49 (0) 1805 12 30 12*.
OF course, you can also reach us via fax under +49 (0) 1805 00 83 18 or via Email under support-eu@destinatortechnologies.com.

Samsung Galaxy S21
Nicky321
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Anita for your help, ive tried again, done a complete reformat of the SD Card and started again but still cant get the downloaded POIs to work. I have now emailed as in your post.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck, Nicky.

Hope they help you to get it sorted. If so, please come back and let us know how you did it. It could be useful to someone else in the future.
Samsung Galaxy S21
Nicky321
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was given the following information on another forum.

I got the Compasseo 820 and I managed to update my countrys speed cams and stuff into it. But not without some serious digging.
I suspect your GPS is as picky with the format the the POI database are imported as mine is. The CSV file has to be EXACTLY in the correct format.

1. You need a spreadsheet program that can edit and make CSV files. I used Microsoft Excel

2. Export one of the existing POI databases from the device to the PC. By looking at that file, you can see the correct format for the .CSV file

3. Open both the exported CSV and your CSV file in excel. Edit your CSV file so thath it has exactly the same number of colums and that there are no empty columns (put e.g. zeros in empty columns). Save your CSV file as a CSV file (NOT as Excel), discard formatting (Excel will warn you about this)

4. Open both files (exported CSV and your CSV) in Notepad. Compare the two files.

5. Look at the co-ordinates. Excel (depending on your country settings) may have put the co-ordinates in the form (12,345). If this is the case, the CSV file will not work. The decimals need to be separated by points ".", not by commas ",". Use notepads Find-Replace All to replace all "," with "."

6. Look at the separator for the values (remember CSV = comma separated values file). Excel may have separated the values with ";" instead of ",". Again this needs to be fixed. Use Find-Replace All to replace all ";" signs with ",". Notice that steps 5 and 6 need to be done in this order, otherwise you'll mess up the co-ordinates.

7. Save file from notepad

Now your CSV file should work, provided that 1) you have the correct number of columns, 2) there are no empty columns, 3) the columns are separated by the correct "," characters, 4) your co-ordinates are decimals separated by full-stop characters (i.e. 12.345)

In the process of digging up this stuff I discovered a lot of other interesting stuff about the Compasseo. For example, the .ini files contained parts labelled 'Packard Bell hacks', which I think speaks volumes about Packard Bell's products and the attitude with which they have been designed.

Not sure how to do section 2

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: