Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Missing cameras - M25 Variable section
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Missing cameras - M25 Variable section

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Endeavour
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Missing cameras - M25 Variable section Reply with quote

Hi, just come back from holiday and on the drive round the M25 to Gatwick at the start of May I gave the database its first real test. I have to say I'm pretty disappointed.

The database doesn't seem to include a whole bunch of variable speed limit cameras around the Heathrow / M4 area of the M25. I checked my tomtom and there were no warnings for some blatantly obvious cameras within the variable speed limit area. The missing cameras were all between the M40 to M4 section, once I got past the M4 the cameras were recorded again.

I'm sure the cameras are there because I checked the gantries on the other side of the road as I drove past, but there's nothing on the database. The other variable limit cameras showed up, so it's not a config problem on my device.

What's going on?
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you'd done a search on "M25 cameras" you'd have found they're being discussed here.
Samsung Galaxy S21
Endeavour
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then let me ask another question. Why have all the cameras been deleted from the previous database update when there is still a LOT of uncertainty about whether they are live or not?

Surely it makes more sense to include every possible camera and only remove it when it is confirmed to be non-functioning/a dummy etc?

I now have some trouble trusting your database, because you've removed cameras from it when you're not sure they're non-functional. Has this been done anywhere else?

I would rather you flag all cameras, even ones you're not sure of, so my gps keeps reminding me to check my speed, rather than flag most (which means I will have to search for cameras myself whilst driving, which is dangerous and the entire reason I bought your database).

In my opinion this is pretty serious.[/b]
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the cameras were NOT added and then removed. they simply have not been added yet due to submissions being all over the place! ie i do not know the exact location of said cameras and am waiting either for a verifier or some good submissions confirming the location.

once locations are verified (whether 'real' or 'dummy' they will be added). feel free to assist by submitting the locations of the cameras as these may help to verify locations already submitted.

if subsequent cameras turn out to be dummy's then they will have their ion changed on the google map to a dummy as per the m42 cameras

MaFt
Endeavour
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
the cameras were NOT added and then removed. they simply have not been added yet due to submissions being all over the place!.... once locations are verified (whether 'real' or 'dummy' they will be added)

Hi MaFt. Maybe I've misunderstood then, but if you go to your speed camera database page, go to the google map and zoom in on the M25 variable section you can clearly see all the cameras that used to be there are now in grey with a red cross through them. According to the legend on the same page, that means they've been removed.

There is no question that these cameras (real or dummy) exist on many of the gantries. Does formal verification really need to take place in this instance? Perhaps as a temporary measure you can just add them back in. The cameras have been there at least a month and haven't been put into the database yet, which is a bit concerning. It's not like we're talking about a back road in Bognor.

Until then it seems to make more sense to ignore the database and just stare at the speedo when going round the M25...

On a related question, how are you confirming whether or not the M42 cameras are dummies?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endeavour wrote:
Hi MaFt. Maybe I've misunderstood then, but if you go to your speed camera database page, go to the google map and zoom in on the M25 variable section you can clearly see all the cameras that used to be there are now in grey with a red cross through them. According to the legend on the same page, that means they've been removed.

these were in the database a long long time ago and since removed. there are new cameras that have gone up in the last 4-6 weeks or so, coincidentally in the same (ish) locations.

Endeavour wrote:

On a related question, how are you confirming whether or not the M42 cameras are dummies?

radar-detection. they have not changed in well over 18 months

MaFt
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The M25 between junctions 12 and 15 was subject to some serious widening work that took from March 2004 to November 2005.

During this rework they removed all the old overhead gantries and attached cameras and place new gantries along this section.

That will be why they are shown as removed, because they have been.

The new ones have only just been sited and so far no one knows if they are dummies, inactive or live.

Only time will tell.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: