Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Buy One now or wait for v4?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Buy One now or wait for v4?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spdgps
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Buy One now or wait for v4? Reply with quote

Around the £130 mark for the v3 at Amazon as opposed to £170 for the v4.

Are the new mount and louder speaker really worth waiting for (the slimness doesn't mean a great deal to me)?

Si.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a One XL if you are considering paying out that much they are better in terms of display size and you get the all important SD card slot - Mike
spdgps
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure that I need the extra SD card or size of screen.

I'm hesitant to wait for the v4/130 as it would appear somewhat restrictive if you wish to use alternate mounts...

Si.
dchbrown
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you dont need the sd card or extra space?

the sd card means you can always get different maps in the future if you need it rather than having to replace the whole thing!

as for the extra screen space ive got an original One but have used some of the newer widescreen systems and they are loads better and easier on the eye.

as for paying over £150 for a unit you can get the one xl for around £140 or even the 520 (with handsfree phone and other stuff) for £155
spdgps
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decision made and device purchased.

After discovering that Tesco were doing the One XL Europe for £139.97 online I went to PC World and got them to do a 110% price match.

£137 for a One XL Europe just couldn't be passed up.

Si.
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Get a One XL if you are considering paying out that much they are better in terms of display size and you get the all important SD card slot - Mike

Does the bog standard V3 not have an SD card slot then? I have heard conflicting reports about this but not been able to check out both models for myself.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faust wrote:
Does the bog standard V3 not have an SD card slot then? I have heard conflicting reports about this but not been able to check out both models for myself.

You can select models and compare their features with the TomTom Product Advisor here.
Samsung Galaxy S21
h5djr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just purchased a TomTom ONE v3 EUROPE from Handtec for £116.99. They do the UK version for £104.99. Excellent service as well. Ordered one day, delivered 10.00 the next morning.

website is: www.handtec.co.uk telephone: 0845 644 7727

TomTom XL + Audi A3 (with navigation)
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
Faust wrote:

You can select models and compare their features with the TomTom Product Advisor here.

Hmm! thanks for the link - so bog standard V3 no SD slot then, what a bummer. I much prefer the bog standard version - XL is just to big for my liking - why can you never get what you want i.e. SD slot on standard version. Surely then if you buy the regional version and wanted to upgrade to Europe maps you would in effect be stuffed with a fixed internal flash memory and no SD slot?
h5djr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you could well be. When I looked at the various models of the ONE v3 available, the UK only version has 512mb of internal memory whereas the Europe version has 1 Gb. As the Europe maps take around 850Mb their appears to be is no way you could add the Europe maps to a UK only version at a later date as there would not be enough memory space. Much better to pay the extra £12.00 on Handtec prices and get the Europe 1Gb version in the first place. Also TomTom charge an extra £39.95 for the Europe maps if you purchase them from their website.

TomTom XL + Audi A3 (with navigation)
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's going to get worse.... The newly announced "2008 version" of the One XL (I'm NOT going to call it a "V4" 'cos they aren't!!) won't have an SD card slot either Evil or Very Mad
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do go for the Regional device with its 512MB memory capacity you can still install any of the Euopean country maps. The full Europe map will obviously not fit, the lack of SD slot on the newer One devices is a shame though as it does make expansion a very costly option. - Mike
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
If you do go for the Regional device with its 512MB memory capacity you can still install any of the Euopean country maps. The full Europe map will obviously not fit, the lack of SD slot on the newer One devices is a shame though as it does make expansion a very costly option. - Mike

I know the Europe version uses different maps than the regional ones i.e. Navteq instead of Teleatlas but do you know if the Europe one is street level mapping for the whole of Europe including UK or is it just major roads?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Europe maps contain full street definition and are not just restricted to the major roads.
I don't think TomTom will be using NavTeq mapping though as they are in the process of purchasing TeleAtlas so it would make no sense at all to purchase maps from another company. - Mike
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
The Europe maps contain full street definition and are not just restricted to the major roads.
I don't think TomTom will be using NavTeq mapping though as they are in the process of purchasing TeleAtlas so it would make no sense at all to purchase maps from another company. - Mike

I thought I'd read on here somewhere that someone was questioning why the Europe version chose a different route to get from A to B in the UK than his friends regional ONE and the answer was that the maps for Regional and Europe versions are supplied by different companies?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: