Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - V8 Software with V7 maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

V8 Software with V7 maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meryvn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: V8 Software with V7 maps Reply with quote

I am looking at buying the new V720 NA maps for my Go520, though i don't go to the states until July. Will htese maps still work with my 520 if TomTom release the V8 software upgrade before that date, i know that the new features wouldn't work but as long as the maps work i am happy.
vicky
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not wait till closer to the time before you go?

They may release V8 and another map release by July,

Is there any reason you need the maps now,? If not I would wait and see what happens by July.

But to answer your question, yes the V720 maps will work with V8 software.
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new v8 features add almost nothing right now for the United States. The only thing I see on any consistant basis at all is speed limits. Even those are only showing for major highways. Forget advanced lane guidance. I've seen it twice. IQ Routes has improved the estimated travel times to where they are as accurate as my nuvi 760 most of the time, but not better. The travel estimates do not take into account time of day, so you get the same route at 3 in the morning as you get at 5:00 rush hour, again same as my nuvi. I suspect it will take several map updates (at $129 each!!) before these features become truly effective. By then, someone else may have even a better way of doing it.
meryvn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vicky wrote:
Why not wait till closer to the time before you go?

They may release V8 and another map release by July,

Is there any reason you need the maps now,? If not I would wait and see what happens by July.

But to answer your question, yes the V720 maps will work with V8 software.

Will probably wait until slightly closer to the time before ordering but its only a couple of months away so don't see there being much of a change in map releases unless v8 comes out for the x20 range.
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Vicky on this one and suggest that you wait, wouldn't it be disappointing if you purchased a v7 map upgrade and then find that V8 software is released forcing you to buy yet another map upgrade.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it wouldn't force you....
AFAIK, all old maps have worked with newer software, it's just the other way round where it may not work (i.e. you need v7 software to run v7 maps, but you can still run v6 maps on v7 software).
meryvn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
But it wouldn't force you....
AFAIK, all old maps have worked with newer software, it's just the other way round where it may not work (i.e. you need v7 software to run v7 maps, but you can still run v6 maps on v7 software).

And as my travels to the US are pretty short and not very often i am not that bothered about the v8 features, so as long as the maps work i will be fine. May wait and see if TomTom decide to have a sale on the maps soon (surprised they didn't publicise one with the 715 maps when 720 were being released).
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gatorguy6996 wrote:
The new v8 features add almost nothing right now for the United States.

I beg to differ. IQ routes finally produces /sane/ routes again.

Quote:
Forget advanced lane guidance. I've seen it twice.

Well, yeah, it's a silly gimmick.

Quote:
IQ Routes has improved the estimated travel times to where they are as accurate as my nuvi 760 most of the time, but not better.

Well, not just travel time, but now it also creates routes that actually make sense, giving you the fastest, most direct and shortest route that you would have picked had you known the area, rather than guiding you through some convoluted course through the ghetto because that's the shortest way to the highway, but only as the crow flies.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you clarify, please?

I thought 'advanced lane guidance' referred to the new arrows in the status bar on the left hand side while 'Reality View' is the inclusion of the static pictures in the screen that will sometimes appear on route showing the road branching off ...
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I could have sworn those lane arrows have been there before, in previous versions.

"Reality View" is funny. Look! The sign looks just like in the real world! Amazing.

ajsasr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think her question has been answered. Has anyone tried V8 software with V7.XX maps? Does it work?
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it works.
Toneloc427
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm solidly in the "wait until July" camp.

Also, being the cheap b!@#(d that I am, I'd recommend doing a quick cost comparison of buying at home vs. buying when you arrive in the US. Might find the currency exchange makes it worth the wait. Just be sure to get a hotel with a FAST internet connection (preferably wired).
meryvn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toneloc427 wrote:
I'm solidly in the "wait until July" camp.

Also, being the cheap b!@#(d that I am, I'd recommend doing a quick cost comparison of buying at home vs. buying when you arrive in the US. Might find the currency exchange makes it worth the wait. Just be sure to get a hotel with a FAST internet connection (preferably wired).

Probably gonna wait until early July to order, don't want to wait until i am there as i want to play bout with POI's before i get there and make sure it all works. Also may need it to find my way from the airport Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: