Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - eTrex Vista and MetroGuide auto-route question...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

eTrex Vista and MetroGuide auto-route question...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
revhigh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject: eTrex Vista and MetroGuide auto-route question... Reply with quote

Ok, I have the Vista and the Metro Guide Software V.5 with all updates. Two questions:

I know that the Vista doesn't support auto route on the GPS but I was told that I can upload a route from the Metro Guide on my PC. However, when I try to upload a route to my Vista, All I get is a straight line route from point A to point B while the PC shows a curved/bent route following streets and intersections. Anyone know how to get this to work?

Also, is there any way to make a route with the route tool and remove the little black squares within the route? They are all labeled and crowd up the viewing screen with black square descriptions. If you make them too close, you can't even see the road.

Thanks in advance.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you upload the route, do you upload the maps as well?
revhigh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I uploaded the maps. When I create an auto-route, there are no route points, only a smooth purple curve from point A to point B. I read somewhere that it's supposed to make route points but I don't know how to do that with the auto route feature.
revhigh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the Vista is reducing the number of route points of the route. I did an auto-route that had many turns in it and the Vista only showed 2 or 3. The rest were left out and the 2-3 points were connected with straight lines.

Is there any way to upload the full route on the vista so that the route is exactly like the one on the PC Metroguide?

I guess that was my main question.
Slider
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be keen to know the answer to this.

I got a Vista this week and Mapsource 6 and seem to have the same issue. Any route created on the PC when transfered to the Garmin doesn't follow the roads but seems to arbitarily link to spots along the route with straight lines. I thought perhaps there was a limit to the number of vectors that a route could hold, but even on a short route the problem still exists.

I'm not yet convinced that this kind of route is very useful anyway on the small screen, but I'm sure it should be better than this.
raymondmcm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same thing with a legend and metroguide 6.

I was also very disappointed to find there seems to be more detail in Ireland on the EU basemap than with Metroguide 6 Evil or Very Mad
Snerkel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the way the routes are being generated the software is clearly US based, the algorithm seems better suited to the straight US road systems.

My findings so far are that having the road map displayed is too slow, and for such a small screen leads to information overload while driving.

My solution while not perfect seems to work for me...

Load map data to Legend but leave it turned off (at least I have it if I get lost!)

Set MapSource to use direct routes, then from home to a known location near target (eg junction of a Motorway) click routing tool, then just before first turn click routing tool, then just round corner click routing tool, then just before next turn click routing tool, and so on.

The advantage this gives is that it is easy to see at a glance that a turn is coming up, and using the compass thing it points to a turn just before you reach it, and you can see which way to turn.
duncani
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Vista HCx and have noticed the same problem with the route displayed on it when transferred from Mapsource, it looke to me like the Vista is using the underlying basemap information to produce the route line. This may also apply to the route it shows if it recalculates which would explain why those routes take odd tracks to destination. It would be nice to find a way around that ? Confused
missing_user

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MetroGuide does not 'autoroute' on the unit when you buy it, but it does on the PC!
You have to 'manipulate' it!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: