Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom latest maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom latest maps
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why exactly?

If you bought a new car and they came out with a new model the next DAY, let alone 30 days; I'd like to see you get that swapped for free.
vicky
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Why exactly?

If you bought a new car and they came out with a new model the next DAY, let alone 30 days; I'd like to see you get that swapped for free.

Ah but when you buy a new car they don't put a leaflet in the glove box saying if we bring out a new model bring this one back for an upgrade

TomTom Do. So there really is a difference here.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the OP said "I purchased a 720T on 30 March (5 weeks ago) and guess what they now want a further £75 so I can get what they purported to sell me in the first place, an up to date satnav . "

He had ample time to update to the latest maps available at the time or produced in the next 30 days.
I see no issue here...
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell that to the Garmin owners. They aren't happy with 60 days latest map. Everyone wants something for nothing.
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote
Quote:
Andy_P2002 wrote:
the Latest Map Guarantee seems to be not happening any more.

Help out an old dementiated man - It never did happen did it? Apart from Anita, maybe, the only people who got latest map guarantee were those who had the stamina to pursue TomTom until they got it?

I got my Go 720, with WE 705 on 18th April and went onto "Latest Map Guarantee" when I was immediately offered version 715. I had a lot of trouble installing it, (but that's another story) and actually downloaded it several times before I was able to install it successfully.

Then I got annoyed when v720 was released within my 30 days and, just to see what would happen, I reinstalled v705 and checked "Latest Map Guarantee" again. I was still offered to download v715 and I guessed that was because I had already used the guarantee. I then decided to purchase the new map because it has Guernsey on it.

Shame I hadn't hung on to the end of my 30 days before updating but I didn't want to run into the problems others seem to have had.
JezS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just had an response from TomTom support to say that my one-week-old 930T is eligible for a free update to the new maps. They're experiencing some server problems and suggest I try again tomorrow or over the weekend....

He's made a note on my account to say that I requested the new maps within the 30 days so it's looking good at the moment!

Famous last words?!![/b]
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Why exactly?

Fair point, but i feel that TomTom need a certain element of transparency when it comes to Maps and new device launches.
If TomTom stuck to say a once or twice yearly update then people can make an informed decision on whether to buy now or wait.
The way the debacle is handled at present they just want to win all ways.
In short if you purchase a device with a thirty day assurance that you will have the latest maps then even if you have downloaded the latest maps available, IF they issues newer ones on the thirtieth day then you should be entitled to them.
I have not seen anything in the conditions to say you can only download once although it may be there?
I have not seen anything stating that if you buy from Ebay your warranty is invalid and perhaps even your LMG. I have heard of this happening to some people.
So what if you grabbed it cheap on Ebay as long as it was a NEW, Sealed package and the device is unregistered then it constitutes a genuine purchase.
One day someone who has the time and money WILL take TomTom on over their flagrant abuse of trading standards and practices. However they are smart in as much as they only seem to do it to excess in the UK market, why?, because they know this is rip off Britain where they can get away with it.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with what you say there!
Remember how they wriggled and fought when someone challenged them over their outrageous "50% off all maps" claims?

As for the wording of the guarantee, I'll see if I can find mine tonight, but on their support pages they definitely say (on THIS PAGE):
Quote:
TomTom provides you with the latest map pre-installed on your new device. On top of that, if a newer map is available within 30 days from when you start using your device, you are entitled to one free map download. You can check if there is a new map version available as many times as you like within this period.

The latest map guarantee is available on:

* TomTom GO 920/720/520
* TomTom ONE XL*
* TomTom ONE 3rd Edition

* Only if the device came with the 7.xx application and 7.xx maps pre-installed

(my bold text)
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy, I was sure they would have covered their tracks regarding the one download it was just that i had never seen it.
I have received the same email as others saying the server is down (again), yawn.....
I have had to send in everything bar the actual device and i still don't know 100% if i am going to get this upgrade although i am certainly entitled to it.
Why are TomTom so friggin' hopeless with these issues, after all it was them who promised the Latest Map Guarantee in the first place.
A terrific selling point.... until you come to use it.
mjdj1689
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to say I have the 930 and i brought the maps sod it to much calling tomtom etc.

But the maps are different a lot of the roads where i travelled to today at Stoke on trent have a lot more info on them, ie before a500 now a 500 north a 34 a34 to manchester and thats only in that area.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, mjdj1689, can you clarify?

Are you saying that you bought a 930 with v800 maps, but you've now BOUGHT the v805 maps?

And the examples of changes you give.. Are they just changes in road names, or what? Afraid I didn't understand.

Also, did you realise (if you can believe the descriptions of the maps on the TomTom website) you've probably just dumped your Western and Central Europe maps, for just Western Europe?
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right Andy, it was something that didn't escape my eyes either.
Is this another attempt at turning the parasite loose to exploit the pockets of us lot or the cashed up Eastern European migrants heading home with the new Tom and no Central/Eastern european maps Laughing Laughing
pbrace
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
And the OP said "I purchased a 720T on 30 March (5 weeks ago) and guess what they now want a further £75 so I can get what they purported to sell me in the first place, an up to date satnav . "

He had ample time to update to the latest maps available at the time or produced in the next 30 days.
I see no issue here...

Bit confused! The new version was released 35 days after the purchase so I do not really understand the post.
mjdj1689
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Sorry, mjdj1689, can you clarify?

Are you saying that you bought a 930 with v800 maps, but you've now BOUGHT the v805 maps?

And the examples of changes you give.. Are they just changes in road names, or what? Afraid I didn't understand.

Also, did you realise (if you can believe the descriptions of the maps on the TomTom website) you've probably just dumped your Western and Central Europe maps, for just Western Europe?

Hi sorry for the confusion , yes i did buy the 930 with v800 maps and i was told I could not have the v805 maps so I did buy them and all it has on there is western europe after looking just now.

Must say im really getting fed up with tomtom at the mo, ill call them today and see what the hell is happening , as after reading on here it seems that I should be able to have the v805 maps for free.

Onto the maps v805 they do have a lot more detail on for your journey ie tavelling through stoke on trent before on the top right hand corner on a500 would only come up as the road im travelling on , now various town names come up as well which is really good and on text to speak it tells you a lot more often to follow a certain road say for 22 miles.

But I shell be calling Tomtom today about this, and dont forget they are closed on Monday 12th according to their website.

Last edited by mjdj1689 on Fri May 09, 2008 6:23 am; edited 1 time in total
mjdj1689
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this link

http://www.tomtom.com/products/maps/select.php

It seems now that when you upgrade to 805 you do only get the western map, to get the eastern maps as well you have to pay 49.95, try the link yourself, tomtom are really out to make money now. Shocked

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: