Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT Nav6 voice output for over the speed limit
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT Nav6 voice output for over the speed limit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slogfester
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: TT Nav6 voice output for over the speed limit Reply with quote

Hi,
I have a HTC Touch Cruise running WM6 and TomTom Nav 6 and W.Europe 675 maps. I mostly use the device for navigation on my motorcycle with the PDA in my pocket using headphones. This really is a revolution in safety for motorcyclists because it allows us to keep our eyes on the road 99% of the time. However you are reliant upon voice instructions.
One thing I have noticed on the VISUAL display when in a car is that for most roads TomTom knows the speed limit and will warn if you are c. 10% over the limit by flashing your speed in red. It would be great if I could get the unit to give a voice warning? Then I can keep my eye on the road 100% of the time. Is this possible using Nav 6 and/or a 3rd party application?
N.B. I already have speed cameras POIs installed.
Thanks
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In v7 there is an option under 'Safety Preferences' to warn when driving faster than allowed and warn when driving faster than a set speed.

I don't think this is available in Navigator 6 and there is no other solution that I am aware of.
wiz
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spot on Darren not an option in Navigator 6

the speeds are not always right mind you....

Lets hope that Navigator 7 or even 8 for PDA/windows Mobile device is not just a dream...

Very Happy

edited once for type o
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

I think the answer you are looking for is contained in an excellent proggy i use called "GPS Speed Sentry"

Not only does it give you warning for overspeeds, but it will also do GPS logging so you can see where you have been and at what speed etc, and i think it can be used to work with PGPSW speed camera database ( not tried it yet )

Its very easy to use too, and YOU set your limits on which you think you need knocking down a peg or two!

You can select your own WAV sounds too, which you can have a warning ( near the overspeed ) and when you are overspeed!

It doesnt however know the speed of the road, but lets face it niether does the 6.75 map.

I usually have mine set for overspeeds on motorways & dual CWs to make life easier.

And the best bit is of course, it works very well in the background whilst I have my TT6 going too! doesnt appear to use up too much memory.

Cheers!

MPW
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed Sentry can indeed offer Speed Camera warnings when the PocketGPSWorld database is installed to the device, have a look at the review Here - Mike
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike,

I didnt even know there was a review on the proggy on this site, i came across it by chance about a month or so back, been logging my journeys on it ever since and popping them into a database.

Just out of interest, do you know ( or if its possible ) to have the lat/long location decoded into a proper description of where you are?

i,e 50.2352, -0.02322 = Brighton Pier ( not to scale )

I did use to use a program called EventLogger ( or was it tripmaster ) on my tomtom 700 which did do that.

At the moment i am manually adding in the places.

Cheers

MPW
Slogfester
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpwilson99 wrote:

It doesnt however know the speed of the road, but lets face it niether does the 6.75 map.

? I thought it does? Or are you saying the accuracy (of the speed limit) is questionable?

Do you have to manually switch from one speed warning zone to another on Speed Sentry? If so, then -as per my original post- its irrelevant for use on a motorbike using earphones
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed Sentry has an auto option where it will follow the speed limit which is just above the speed you are travelling at, it will also warn of speed cameras switching the speed limit when a camera within the database is in range of the unit - Mike
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>? I thought it does? Or are you saying the accuracy (of the speed limit) is questionable?

Its the accuracy of it, i think last time i looked, it said the road outside Tonbridge station was 70mph.....

Cheers

PS - Can i just say that GPSS Sentry is an excellent piece of kit! I only went over the speed limit 3 times on my 300 mile trip up north, and that was a minor overspeed too! ( obviously it helps if you choose a really loud and annoying sound to warn you off from doing so ! )
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The application doesn't know the road speeds instead when in Auto mode it will adjust the speed limit to the next setting above your current speed, assuming you drive within the speed limit this works very well in practice. Drive at 47 to 49MPH and the unit will display a 50MPH limit.
In the event of a camera being detected that is below this speed the unit will alter the speed limit to the value from the Speed Camera database thus protecting you and your license.

One possible reason for it displaying a 70MPH limit outside a railway station is that there could be a 70MPH rated camera within detection range, I don't know that area too well though so it is difficult to comment on this specific issue - Mike
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

Just to clarify, it was my TomTom map ( might of been 6.60 or 6.75 ) which gave a 70 mph speed limit outside Tonbridge station.

I dont use GPS Speed Sentry with the SCDB, i just select the speed limit i wanted to be warned of, whilst on the motorway.

I let the PGPSW SCDB to the rest of the limits ! ;o)

Cheers

MPW

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: