Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Third party speed camera files
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Third party speed camera files

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greekislandlover
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Third party speed camera files Reply with quote

Hi,

I've been looking around at these, and some of them have got considerably less cameras listed than the VM UK latest file. What I'm wondering is, is it worth investing in them in that case? Problem is that with VM not being supported in years to come, this may be the one of the last updates to the database.

So what database do others use? The PGPSW database obviously is a front runner if I was going to invest, but is it better than the VM one?

Thanks!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple question - How many cameras are there on the VM one?

PGPSW has over 11,000 for the UK. Updated every month, often more than once - the most recent update was 2nd May, the one before that was 18th April - how does VM compare?

How much is VM a year? PGPSW is £19.

You've come looking just a few hours early - by tomorrow night, one of our Moderators will have posted a lovely article entitled "Why choose the PGPSW Database?", which he has been drafting this weekend to help people like you. Come back tomorrow and read it, you may well find, as others before you, that it's a no-brainer, indeed it would be better to get it now instead of the VM one.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greekislandlover - You can get the comparative numbers through the two websites. ASSUMING 'fixed' (VM) to be the same as 'GATSO' (PGPSW), you will see that VM has more fixed cameras in UK and France; BUT they do not seem to have any of the mobile, redlight etc categories that PGPSW has, so the grand total is well in PGPSW's favour. The picture is a bit variable with other countries.

So you pays your money (or not) and takes your choice. I don't think there's anything to stop you from loading both databases if you want to go that far - and can stand the incessant bleeps.
greekislandlover
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I subscribed and downloaded. I'm going to give running both a trial. I don't anticipate doing many journeys until Friday, when my week of callout duty starts. I'll try the VM and the company TomTom side by side, and drive myself mad with bleeps!
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to give this a read
Covkid1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VM only have the fixed camera sites, updated once a month. They are free though.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: