Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Get a 720 now or wait for the 730?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Get a 720 now or wait for the 730?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JDMoore
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Get a 720 now or wait for the 730? Reply with quote

I'm looking to replace my increasingly out of date iCN 530 probably with a TomTom. I know the TT730 is due out in the next month or so for the UK but is the same hardware as the TT720.

Would the advice be to get a TT720 now whilst they're getting cleared out of the shops and then get an upgrade later or wait for TT730 to come out?

Any idea how much an upgrade would probably add to the price of a TT720 to get Navcore 8 etc? I'm not too bothered about the lane assist but the IQ routing sounds useful.

Reading the forums it looks best to avoid the x20 'T' versions and just rely on the GPRS connectivity on my phone for the best traffic data, does that sound right?

Thanks for any advice.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment, GPRS is the only reliable Traffic system. However, everybody now sounds fairly confident that TomTom are getting it fixed and that Navcore 8 will fix the RDS-TMC issues (GO720T version).

Navcore 8 will come FREE - TT have always issued firmware updates free of charge and I see no suggestion that this will change. The costly bit is the v8 map to go with it. The latest v7 map for the 720 is £80 (no competition, only available by Broadband Download from TomTom), so you can expect the v8 map to be no cheaper.

The IQ routing is (in my opinion) more hype than success - others will disagree, I'm sure. My reasoning is that it is based on data collected by TomTom from "your" GO device (yours and everybody else's - those who allow the data to be collected, that is). I seem to have some forerunner of IQ routing on my firmware v7.481 and it's guiding me a longer way round than it used to with v7.221. I reckon this is because TT are now taking consideration of the data they have collected - BUT they can't have collected any data from EVERY alternate route, so their results are VERY dubious. I think they now have my usual route home plotted with some delays, so they route me via the narrow single track country lanes which are technically 60mph National Speed Limit and have no delay information data collected by TT.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Tredders
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:

The IQ routing is (in my opinion) more hype than success - others will disagree, I'm sure. My reasoning is that it is based on data collected by TomTom from "your" GO device (yours and everybody else's - those who allow the data to be collected, that is). I seem to have some forerunner of IQ routing on my firmware v7.481 and it's guiding me a longer way round than it used to with v7.221. I reckon this is because TT are now taking consideration of the data they have collected - BUT they can't have collected any data from EVERY alternate route, so their results are VERY dubious. I think they now have my usual route home plotted with some delays, so they route me via the narrow single track country lanes which are technically 60mph National Speed Limit and have no delay information data collected by TT.

Agree about the IQ routing. I've had my 930 for 2 days now, and jury is out on the IQ routing. Supposedly, the routing algorithm takes into account the day of week of your journey, but I had a strange experience today. I was approaching the M40 at junction 15 (Warwick), and I'd planned a route to my folks house in Solihull (a simple right turn onto the M40 North, and then onto the M42). As I approached the traffic island, TomTom guided me left instead of right (onto the Southbound M40 towards Leamington Spa). It was suggesting I double back on myself one junction, then turn around and head North again at Leamington. I can only assume that this was to avoid the Longbridge island on junction 15 which can be an absolute sod during working rush hour, but on a deserted Sunday morning?

Have to say though, the map is much better, at least for the areas I've been driving around this weekend. A couple of new roads and roundabouts are on the map, and it's more detailed near where I live. The 930 is also much quicker at drawing the maps & calculations than my previous 510.

Mark.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tredders wrote:
I was approaching the M40 at junction 15 (Warwick), and I'd planned a route to my folks house in Solihull (a simple right turn onto the M40 North, and then onto the M42). As I approached the traffic island, TomTom guided me left instead of right (onto the Southbound M40 towards Leamington Spa). It was suggesting I double back on myself one junction, then turn around and head North again at Leamington.

Hah!! That's not IQ Routing, that's the famous M40 J15 map bug. If you were as big a fan of mine as you ought to be, you would have read about it ages ago! Twisted Evil I suffered it again last Thursday, only this time I simply ignored it. I have tried many times to sort it out using MapShare, but all to no avail. Maybe when map v8 comes along we can alter the speed on the roundabout, which seems to be the problem. There WAS a problem at one time with the London bound M40 underneath it being marked one way in the opposite direction. Laughing Laughing

Tredders
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:

Hah!! That's not IQ Routing, that's the famous M40 J15 map bug. If you were as big a fan of mine as you ought to be, you would have read about it ages ago! Twisted Evil I suffered it again last Thursday, only this time I simply ignored it. I have tried many times to sort it out using MapShare, but all to no avail. Maybe when map v8 comes along we can alter the speed on the roundabout, which seems to be the problem. There WAS a problem at one time with the London bound M40 underneath it being marked one way in the opposite direction. Laughing Laughing

Is that right? It's a map bug? I must've done that journey a hundred times, and never noticed that bug before (probably either due to not having TomTom on for a journey I know like the back of my hand, or possibly due to just paying much more attention to the new 930).

I'll take a look at your posting on it....

Mark.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The topic is here and the whole thing is interesting - the J15 roundabout bit starts on page 5, my post 6:28pm Nov 30th.

Tredders
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
The topic is here and the whole thing is interesting - the J15 roundabout bit starts on page 5, my post 6:28pm Nov 30th.

Cheers Dennis. Makes interesting reading...

Wonder when / if it'll get fixed? TomTom have never seemed massively efficient at fixing map errors, even since the advent of MapShare.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: