Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - N95 GPS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

N95 GPS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BEASTKILLER
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: N95 GPS Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Just wanted to ask that is there any way to get the N95 GPS Navigation software working for free ? or is there another free alternative and how to get it working.

Thanx
BunnyJean
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Free Voice Nav for Nokia N95 Reply with quote

http://www.amazegps.com/welcome.php

Well, my searches in other forums has led me to find this website - I am told (though haven't tested it myself) that Amaze GPS will offer voice navigation free - but please note: You cannot store maps on your sd card/internal memory to use with this free software and you will have to regularly connect using GPRS/3G (occasionally WAP also works depending on operator).

If you have the right call plan from your service provider you could do very well with this system - however I'm still searching - anyone else know of anything better? Smile
GarminNok
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nav4All is a similar package. Again, it makes use of gprs but it differs from others by only briefly connecting and downloading the route needed. As I remember, it then gives your route as turn by turn signals but I can't remember if it lays the roads out, I'm 99.9% sure it doesn't so as such, there are no maps, it's purely a guidance tool. It's absolutely jam packed with features tho, one of the ones I thought was pretty cool is "Remember my parking space" - you park in a huge car park, mark the location with your phone and then after hours of shopping etc., you don't have to stop and think, "Now where did I park my car?" Smile Definitely worth a look at...
BunnyJean
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Nav4all v Amaze Reply with quote

I've tested both of these packages:

I like Amaze for it's beautifully clear diagrams and directions but find it tends to select obscure routes and the Americanisms irritate me (as far as I can see there is no option to download an English voice using English "Roundabout" instead of American "Circle"). I love the way the road name is clearly marked on the screen so you can check it's the right turning before you take it. It is a basic package, easy to understand but lacking the other features of Nav4all...

Nav4all is fairly easy to use (can't say I've investigated every feature yet) but it does a good job of guiding me about. The biggest problem is that if you can't follow the route for any reason, it spends the next minute or so trying to reconnect to find a new route. Ok if you can pull over to wait for it (or if you happen to be on a road with no turnings etc) but if you're nearing your destination the wait can be a real nuisance especially since while it connects you may well have moved beyond your destination and it has to reconnect again to find a further new route to get you back again and so it goes on! The images are basic and it doesn't give road names so you can't double check you're taking the right turn. Occasionally there is a delay in the screen picking up how far you've moved - so it'll still read "70 yards ahead" when you're at the turning. Common sense helps of course but if they could give a road name you'd be better off.

I'd love to hear other readers opinions on these free packages and also if there are any more that are worth investigating.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: