Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin 370 good or bad ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin 370 good or bad ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windup
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Garmin 370 good or bad ? Reply with quote

Hi,
I've been searching for info on my first satnav and almost decided on the 250.. then stumbled across an offer at UK PCWorld for a Garmin 370, with UK, Euro and US maps, text to speech and other gizmos for £150.
Only difference is it has a flip up GPS aerial.. any thoughts on this device ? Rolling Eyes
Scarecrow
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 360, which is similar but doesn't have the US maps. Flip up aerial is not a problem, adn satellite acquisition with it is very quick; unlike the 760 I replaced it with which doesn't have a flip up aerial. The other bonus is that with the aerial down, the 360/370 knows that it is in simulation mode. On the 760 you have to go through a couple of menus to switch simulation mode on, which isn't quite so convenient.

My biggest gripe with the 360 is that whilst it allows you to store up to 500 waypoints, you can only insert them in to a journey one at a time. so if you want to go from A to B via C, no problem. However, if you want to go from A to B via C and D, you will only be able to enter D as a via point after you have navigated to C.

HTH
windup
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Scarecrow,
I need to go and play with one to see how it feels.
Not sure about this aerial flap. On the only satnav I have so far tried in the car, I actually found it better to listen to the instructions with the device in the storage box by the gear lever. Not sure if that would work with the 370.
I am intrigued that some US states ban mounting on the windscreen.. wonder if that may happen in UK and affect reception . Shocked
Scarecrow
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldn't do. I have one car where it's just not feasible to mount it on the windscreen, so it sits down by the gear lever. Works fine. I think the Garmins are renowned for having good satellite reception, even in built up areas.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am intrigued that some US states ban mounting on the windscreen..

It's a general "no objects in the windscreen area" law that covers anything, including objects hanging from the rear view mirror. The law has been around for a lot longer than Sat Nav....

Quote:
wonder if that may happen in UK

No signs yet.

Quote:
and affect reception

My Nuvi 760 gets reception indoors and away from windows, so low down in a car won't be a problem.
windup
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Guys,
You're pressing all the right buttons.. good to hear from users with positive feedback. Thanks.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
so low down in a car won't be a problem.

I'll expand on that. It shouldn't be a problem but some cars have windscreens that can interfere with the signal. Renault Anthermic windscreens can mess with older units and i believe the Ford heated (QuickClear) windscreen can also block the signal too.
windup
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I have noted that problem in other threads.. presumably any decent device has the option for an additional/external aerial... including 250/370. I spose you got to actually try it and find out if your own screen is a problem.
I have been Mondeo man until recently, now Rav4 man.. will any 'bit of wire out the window' do? Confused
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
will any 'bit of wire out the window' do?

No. There is a specific antenna for the Garmin units from Maplin

I bought one for my i3 and routed it round the lining to the top of the rear view mirror. Bit of doublesided sticky tape works great as the Renault windscreen had an untreated area there. Fits and works with my 760 too so i should work with all Nuvis....

However it's possible with the high sensitivity receiver a lot of the new units come with you won't need it.
windup
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats great.. many thanks.
Need to find a PCworld that actually has a 370.. they seem to have 'dissappeared' in Kent... otherwise the 250 from Amazon at £99 can't be bad.
I'll update. Rolling Eyes
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's quite a big difference between those two units - Maps, TTS, Bluetooth, Traffic.... See here to compare the units

If you really want a 370 with all it's extras over the 250

Handtec -Next Day Delivery
windup
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Paul , thanks.
I just searched all PCworld upto London and the 370 seems to be out of stock.. seems the 370T is the only one now available at much greater cost. Don't need all that serious stuff in reality, as it will only be used now and then.
I am going to US for holiday this year tho.. would have been useful for walkabouts.
Looks like it will be the 250 or maybe 250W. Smile
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you want the US maps but none of the bells and whisltes and the assocaited costs try the Nuvi 270

Handtec
windup
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, I'll check it out.
Incidentally, are there any 'alternate sites' for updates to speed cam data , POI etc other than Garmin itself ?
On my general search for any useful info on all things Satnav, I have seen other threads on other various devices that suggest a 'knowledgeable person' can play with the operating system and tweek things as we do with PC software.
Is that possible with the Garmin system.? Cool
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Incidentally, are there any 'alternate sites' for updates to speed cam data , POI etc other than Garmin itself ?

You mean apart from PocketGPSWorlds very own Speed Camera database, available to subscribers here?

None that I'd trust and use.

POIs can also be downloaded from here. These install along side the Garmin POIs.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: